Elena or Marina?

I LOVE [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]! So beautiful!

I pronounce [name_f]Elena[/name_f] as Ee-lay-nuh.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps!

I prefer [name_f]Marina[/name_f], personally.

Most people in my area (including myself) pronounce [name_f]Elena[/name_f] as uh-LAY-nuh, although I would pronounce it however the person specified.

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] does remind me of a boat dock, but I’ve known a [name_f]Marina[/name_f] my whole life & it didn’t occur to me until like a year ago. It’s a nice association in my mind!

I’m not really a [name_f]Violet[/name_f] fan, but [name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is a beautiful combo!

I much prefer [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. We chose this name for one of our children but because of the many ways it can be pronounced we choose to spell it phonetically: Ellyna so that people would pronounce it the way we liked to hear it I.e. like Ellen-a but despite all our best efforts to make it easier to say people still call her a myriad of different things. So if you choose the name be prepared to correct people constantly as it’s just one of those names with lots of options, but really pretty however you choose to pronounce it.

I have always liked [name_f]Marina[/name_f]!

I just want to say my 3 yr old is [name_f]Marina[/name_f] and if people have to read her name they have no idea how it’s pronounced. I was flabbergasted because we live on the coast of a major lake. Otherwise we get so many compliments on her name and I did name her in honor of boats. I grew up around them. She is growing up around them and loves them too.

1 Like

OP I have a daughter name [name_f]Marina[/name_f]. We had issues where people couldn’t figure out how to pronounce her name just looking at it. We live on the coast of a major lake too. So Marinas for boats are all over. We get a lot of compliments too. I just wanted to give you a heads up if you decide to go with [name_f]Marina[/name_f]. I was shocked needless to say. For #3 we had considered [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. We used [name_f]Cassie[/name_f] instead.

Elena! I say ‘uh-LAY-nuh’

I adore both, but if I gotta pick it’ll be [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. I pronounce it Eh-lay-nah or Eh-len-nah.