Elena or Marina?

Which do you prefer, and why?

Also, how do you pronounce [name_f]Elena[/name_f] where you’re from? It’s my only issue with the name.

Does [name_f]Marina[/name_f] remind you of a boat dock?

Combos we’re thinking of:

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Sofia[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u].

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]

Any other suggestions are most welcome. :blush:

Both are beautiful! I would say go with [name_f]Elena[/name_f] if you like more common names and [name_f]Marina[/name_f] if you like more unusual names.

I pronounce [name_f]Elena[/name_f] Eh-LAY-nah. The lay is actually a mixed sound, a cross between lay and leh. I’m from the US. However, I have met people who use different pronunciations!

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] does remind me a little bit of a boat dock, but it’s not overpowering, as I live inland. It reminds me more of a [name_u]Marian[/name_u] name.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] are my favorite of your combinations!

1 Like

I would say Ee-lay-nah. I prefer [name_f]Marina[/name_f] because it has one pronunciation and I find M more lovely than E :joy:. I do also think of a boat marina but I still find [name_f]Marina[/name_f] pretty.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] doesn’t do much for me but I like all your other combos. [name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is my favorite.

1 Like

I really like both of those, but I slightly prefer [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. I would pronounce it Eh-leh-nah.

1 Like

I personally prefer [name_f]Elena[/name_f] by far! [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is absolutely beautiful!

I like both, but I prefer [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. I pronounce [name_f]Elena[/name_f] like [name_f]El[/name_f] - ay - nah.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_u]Sol[/name_u]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Calla[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_u]Mallory[/name_u]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Bloom[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Justine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Selene[/name_f]

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Odette[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Sigrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_u]Aster[/name_u]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Lua[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Libby[/name_f]

I have to vote for [name_f]Elena[/name_f], it’s my own name and i love it! People often compliment me on it and while I do get the “wrong” prn. (i.e. not the one I use) from time to time, it’s relatively easy to fix! I pronounce it like eh-LEHN-uh.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Ooh, they’re both so pretty. I give the slight nod to [name_f]Marina[/name_f] because it’s much less popular. And it doesn’t really remind me of a boat dock. But if it did, that wouldn’t be a bad association. Boating & fresh sea air are pleasant!

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] & [name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] are both gorgeous. I don’t like [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] quite as much, but it’s fine.

I say [name_f]Elena[/name_f] like ‘Ee-lay-nuh’. [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] is my favorite. I like all of your mn ideas though.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I like the soft but bright sound of [name_f]Elena[/name_f]! I pronounce it eh-lay-nuh!
I like [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] is pretty too!

[name_f]Elena[/name_f]. [name_f]Marina[/name_f] does evoke a dock to me. I am from the states and [name_f]Elena[/name_f] is A-Lane-A. All your combinations with [name_f]Elena[/name_f] are lovely but [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is my favorite.

I slightly prefer [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. Im from the US and I pronounce it El-en-a but I wouldn’t be surprised to be told it was pronounced El-Lay-na.
I think that [name_f]Marina[/name_f] is common enough that a boat dock is not my first thought.
I think that [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] are my favorites from your combinations.

I much prefer [name_f]Marina[/name_f]! I pronounce [name_f]Elena[/name_f] like uh-LAY-nuh. There’s nothing wrong with the name [name_f]Elena[/name_f], I’m just neutral on it. [name_f]Marina[/name_f] does remind me of boats but I also live near the coast and my SO was actually from [name_m]Long[/name_m] [name_u]Island[/name_u] which is surrounded by marinas, so I’ve spent a lot of time around them. If you live more inland it may not be such a direct association. But regardless I don’t think marinas are a bad association. I love the beach and thinking of the marina gives me happy memories. Maybe if you hate the beach or something then that might be a reason not to use it, but overall I think most people would associate [name_f]Marina[/name_f] with positive images. [name_f]My[/name_f] SO’s cousin even named their daughter [name_f]Marina[/name_f] because they actually live right next to a marina and go boating all the time, so it was a purposeful choice.

I think [name_f]Marina[/name_f] sounds prettier in my opinion! I love the sound of [name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. In my head I pronounce [name_f]Elena[/name_f] as E-lee-na, but outloud I would say A-layn-a

I really like them both! I think if it wasn’t so close to my name I’d go with [name_f]Marina[/name_f] for a future daughter. Yes it reminds me of a boat dock, but I think that’s a nice meaning. It makes it more appealing to me.

Yeah the [name_f]Elena[/name_f] pronunciation issue is one of the bug drawbacks of this name (that and all the [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] names out there). I like eh-leh-nah. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband says that’s only for when we’re speaking in Spanish :roll_eyes:

I love how beautiful and friendly [name_f]Elena[/name_f] sounds. It has so much elegance. [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is :heart_eyes: I pronounce it as eh-leh-na.

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] is nice but I’ve never really been a big fan of it, because of boat docks

I prefer [name_f]Marina[/name_f].

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] are both gorgeous combos. With both of [name_f]Elena[/name_f] and [name_f]Marina[/name_f] I think [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] doesn’t flow as well in the middle, but all the other options sound good.

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] or [name_f]Elena[/name_f] Ruby!! :star_struck::star_struck:

I pronounce it Eh-le-nuh. [name_f]Marina[/name_f] reminds me of the character in The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid called [name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_u]Del[/name_u] [name_u]Rey[/name_u].

I really love [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. It has such an elegant flair, is classic yet not overly popular. I pronounce Eh-lay-nah. I love both combinations [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] & [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f].
I personally know a [name_f]Marina[/name_f]. And actually to be certain I pronounce her name correctly, I always think, “like the boat dock” before saying it.

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] :slight_smile: