Eliza is my first choice but stumped by nicknames

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries,
I am really loving [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] for third daughter… but I know from experience that I’m going to want to shorten her name up… three syllables is a lot to repeat over and over again!

I’ve known a [name_f]Liza[/name_f] my own age and therefore just don’t picture it as a nn for my daughter… I’m also a bit tainted on [name_f]Ella[/name_f] we have one in the family.
[name_u]Love[/name_u] the notion of “[name_u]Izzy[/name_u]” but since the “i” sounds are different it feels like a stretch. -am I wrong about that? Are there other nicknames you could picture?

Any thoughts and/or personal experiences would be much appreciated- thank you!

[name_f]Liza[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]El[/name_f]
[name_m]Eli[/name_m] (pronounced like ee-lie, like when it’s short for [name_m]Elijah[/name_m])
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
Lizey
Liley (lie-lee)
[name_f]Iza[/name_f]

[name_u]Izzy[/name_u] for an [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]/[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] came up recently on another thread, and I stand by what I said there:

Although [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] have the same root and meaning, they don’t really share nicknames. Isabelles are usually [name_f]Belle[/name_f] or [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]. I’ve never met an [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] called [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], [name_f]Libby[/name_f], [name_f]Beth[/name_f], [name_f]Betty[/name_f], [name_f]Betsy[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], or [name_f]Bess[/name_f] – and vice versa.

You could choose to call your daughter [name_u]Izzy[/name_u], of course, you can do as you’d like really :). But I think you and she would end up doing a lot of explaining to people that she’s [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], not [name_f]Isobel[/name_f].

We considered calling our daughter just [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], but in the end stuck with the more formal [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] in order to get more nickname options. Like you, when I considered nicknames for [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], I felt I came up short (and I’m not personally keen on [name_f]Liza[/name_f] or [name_f]Liz[/name_f]). And I also knew that, like you, a 3-syllable name was more than I was willing to call out every time!

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is such a beautiful name. With so many options a nn might come to you after your daughter is born; one that suits her personality.

You might also think of other ways to get to a nn, like pet names or something with her middle name. For example [name_f]El[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f] or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] [name_m]Bear[/name_m].

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] was my top name for years. I always imagined calling her [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]-J : )

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t nick name her! [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is perfect and doesn’t need to be cut down. My only suggestion would be [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f]

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is my top choice, and I had the nickname problem too. All my siblings and I go by nicknames, as does hubby and one of his two sisters, so I always want the nickname option! I also naturally shorten the names of close friends (if they’re ok with it, naturally). I just like the feeling of familiarity.

[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is my thought. Sure, it’s not cleanly derivative, but then again, neither is [name_f]Peggy[/name_f] from [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], so I’m not too worried about it.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the nn [name_m]Eli[/name_m]/[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]

[b]24 years ago, my mom decided to name me [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]…

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Merilee[/name_f]

[/b]

I think Izzy as a nickname for Eliza is just fine. There are plenty of legit nicknames that change the letter sounds when going from the formal to the nickname. Just look at Isabelle, which Izzy is normally a nickname for. The “s” turns into a “z” sound. My older daughter’s name (Catherine, called Cate) is another good example. And Eliza herself is a nickname for Elizabeth, which is another option you can use if you can’t think of an Eliza nickname you like. Just use Eliza as the nickname!

As for other possible nicknames, I think most have already been suggested. The only other suggestion, depending on the middle name, is to use her intials as a nickname: something like EJ or even just E on its own. I’ve also heard of people turning EM initials into Emmy. (Oh, and what getting rid of the “i” and using Elza?}

In my opinion, [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is beautiful and short enough on its own. If you really want a nickname, I’d go with [name_f]Elle[/name_f] or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], but I like [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] best :slight_smile: