Eliza or Elizabeth?

I’m not expecting, but I’ve been thinking a lot about [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] lately. I generally don’t like nicknames as first names, but to me, [name]Eliza[/name] is very substantial. [name]Do[/name] you think an [name]Eliza[/name] would wish she were an [name]Elizabeth[/name]?

I’d love to hear your thoughts on [name]Eliza[/name] versus [name]Elizabeth[/name]!

[name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] are both gorgeous. I think it would depend on your last name. For example, if your last name were Satran, like [name]Pam[/name] of Nameberry’s last name, I think I would like [name]Eliza[/name] Satran. But if your last name were [name]Finch[/name], like [name]Linda[/name] of Nameberry’s last name, I would like [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Finch[/name].

I’m an [name]Elizabeth[/name], and while I’ve been going as Ysa as long as I can remember maybe I can still contribute a thought. I think that [name]Eliza[/name] is more substantial as a full name than Ysa, but I think that it’s very important to keep the option open for your daughter to use the fully solid [name]Elizabeth[/name]. [name]Eliza[/name] is utterly sweet, but frankly I think with a full name like [name]Elizabeth[/name] chances are you may be treated more seriously in the corporate world than if you were to use the shortened version. Besides, [name]Eliza[/name] is completely intuitive when derived from [name]Elizabeth[/name], it would be a no-brainer as a nickname.

(Edited to apologize for incoherence!)

I love them both, and I think [name]Eliza[/name] can completely stand alone. I can tell you this, I know an 18-year-old [name]Eliza[/name], and she never knew that her name was derived from [name]Elizabeth[/name], and she loves her name. [name]Eliza[/name] isn’t nicknamey at all to me, it’s not like naming your daughter [name]Betty[/name] or [name]Lizzie[/name]. It’s a really gorgeous name all on it’s own, and I’m trying to imagine that my name is [name]Eliza[/name], and I don’t think I’d wish to be [name]Elizabeth[/name]. TONS of names don’t have options. My name has no options, granted I don’t like my name, but that’s not why! Also, I think it definitely works for an adult in professional situations. I can picture [name]Eliza[/name] at all different ages, an artist or a lawyer, and anything in between. Very versatile if you ask me.

As for [name]Elizabeth[/name], that’s a beautiful name too! It’s one I always wished I was. It does have the benefit of options… but what if she chooses an option you don’t like! [name]Elizabeth[/name] is pretty much the ultimate classic, it’s a really wonderful name. I don’t know, very hard decision! I intend to use one of them someday, at least in the middle, for my husband’s beloved grandmother… I haven’t yet decided which to use! It’s too hard to pick!

Thanks for all these opinions! Like [name]Lyndsay[/name], I’m sure I’ll use either [name]Eliza[/name] or [name]Elizabeth[/name] (both work with the last name), and it’s just so hard to choose!

With [name]Eliza[/name], you get the “[name]Liza[/name]” sound, while with [name]Elizabeth[/name], you get the “[name]Liz[/name]” sound. Maybe it will come down to which I prefer, but I don’t know! I think both [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] are stunning!

Ysa, I didn’t realize you’re an [name]Elizabeth[/name]! [name]How[/name] lucky you are!

Personally, I really like the name [name]Liza[/name].
[name]Elisabeth[/name] (with an ‘s’) is one of my favorite names for a girl.
Nickname = [name]Ellie[/name].

Thought I’d mention that [name]Eliza[/name] is name of the day on Appellation Mountain today, check it out!

Thanks, [name]Lyndsay[/name]! You’re awesome! :slight_smile:

No problem! I didn’t see your discussion last night until today, but wow! I think you handled it very well, must have been tough to add even a little niceness in there.

Thanks, [name]Lyndsay[/name]. I was pretty shaken due to the tone and sentiments expressed, but feel better due to a recent comment. I hope Mr. [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]David[/name] [name]Rowe[/name] (Wow, do I love his name!) is doing well! :slight_smile:

I went to that Appelation site, and was surprised to read that [name]Eliza[/name] has been used as a given name since the 1500’s. I had no idea!