Eliza or Elizabeth?

[name]Do[/name] you prefer [name]Eliza[/name] or [name]Elizabeth[/name]? Why?

I’m torn between the two. On the one hand, I like [name]Eliza[/name] because it’s spunky and seems fresher. On the other hand, I like the more classic feel of [name]Elizabeth[/name] and that there are so many more nn possibilities ([name]Libby[/name], [name]Beth[/name], [name]Betsy[/name], etc.). I feel like you could always name your daughter [name]Elizabeth[/name] and call her [name]Eliza[/name], and then she’d have more nns to choose from when she gets older. What do you think?
At this point, I think I’d go with [name]Elizabeth[/name]. But, yesterday I was going with [name]Eliza[/name], so I change my opinion a LOT!

[name]Ashley[/name]

[name]Ah[/name]! The age-old full name vs. nickname debate! If you like [name]Elizabeth[/name] as much as [name]Eliza[/name], you might as well name her [name]Elizabeth[/name] formally, call her [name]Eliza[/name], and give her the options as she grows up. If it’s [name]Eliza[/name] you really love, name her [name]Eliza[/name] and negate any possibilities you don’t like quite as much. Me, I’d go with [name]Eliza[/name] because I don’t love the sound of [name]Elizabeth[/name], and [name]Eliza[/name] works perfectly well as a full name. But. I do love [name]Betsy[/name], and I would use [name]Elizabeth[/name] in that case b/c I don’t feel that [name]Betsy[/name] stands alone.

I’d go with [name]Eliza[/name], for sure. There’s something about [name]Eliza[/name] that gets me every time. It is at the same time both refreshingly modern and shamelessly vintage. It’s got a sense of whimsy about it that you don’t always find in a traditional name, and it sounds feminine and alluring. There’s something to be said about the way that [name]Eliza[/name] rolls off the tongue as compared to [name]Elizabeth[/name]. [name]Eliza[/name] - just say it! Now, I’m not saying that [name]Elizabeth[/name] isn’t a great name, because without a doubt it is, but I can tell you when I met my first [name]Eliza[/name] - and I’ve still only met that one! - I thought to myself, “My, what a beautiful name!” Can’t say I’ve said that in the many times I’ve met an [name]Elizabeth[/name]…

As for nicknames, I see the major advantage of [name]Elizabeth[/name] over [name]Eliza[/name] being [name]Libby[/name] as a nickname. There’s no B in [name]Eliza[/name], so I guess [name]Libby[/name] doesn’t make much sense. But at the same time, I love the [name]Lizzy[/name] nickname, and I’d be more than content to have my [name]Eliza[/name] and call her [name]Lizzy[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I choose [name]Eliza[/name] as my favorite! It does feel spunkier and fresher than [name]Elizabeth[/name]. However, I [name]LOVE[/name] the nn [name]Libby[/name] for [name]Elizabeth[/name]! What mn would you consider - maybe thatwould be the deciding factor!? :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Ashley[/name]! [name]Just[/name] have to comment here! My name is [name]Elizabeth[/name]. I have gone by [name]Eli[/name] the majority of my life. Other nicknames I have had are [name]Lizzy[/name], [name]Liz[/name] and [name]Betty[/name]… I personally think you should go with your gut on it… The only thing I would say is that I went through school with 4 other [name]Elizabeth[/name]'s in the same class… We all got assigned nicknames (preferable to being [name]Elizabeth[/name] 1-5) and I ended up as [name]Eli[/name]… The name isn’t quite as widely used now but still popular. I do personally prefer [name]Eliza[/name] which still hosts an enormous choice of nickname possibilties: [name]Eli[/name], Li, [name]Liz[/name], [name]Lizzy[/name], [name]Liza[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Elsie[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Elle[/name] and I think you could get away with using [name]Libby[/name]… It also avoids the hideousness that is [name]Buffy[/name]! Nicknames you would be missing out by using [name]Eliza[/name] would be [name]Beth[/name], [name]Betty[/name], [name]Betsy[/name], Zabby, [name]Bess[/name], [name]Bessie[/name] and Bizzy (can’t decide whether that’s good or bad!). [name]Eli[/name] x