Elizabeth vs. Elisabeth

Which do you prefer and why? I currently have [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] on my list. I like it because no one has to think twice about the spelling the pronunciation, and it has [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] in it, but my favorite nn for it is [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], and I hate the nn [name_f]Liz[/name_f] so I’m contemplating changing [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] to [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. Also my second favorite girl’s name is [name_f]Adelheid[/name_f], which is obviously [name_m]German[/name_m], and [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] is the [name_m]German[/name_m] spelling so I feel [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] might “fit” on my list a bit better. The issue is I love [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and it’s literary references, [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] [name_m]Bennet[/name_m], [name_f]Beth[/name_f] [name_u]March[/name_u] and [name_f]Laura[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] Ingalls, in particular. So which would you put on your list if you were me, and why?

100% [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

There is something too soft for me about [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. The Z version is peppier to me.

I’ve always had a soft spot for [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. I like the slightly-gentler look and the fact that it’s a smidgen different but established. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] has two advantages: it’s the default spelling, and the nickname [name_f]Eliza[/name_f].

I think of [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] as the same name; I can’t hear the difference when they’re said quickly, and it’s such a small twist. So like with [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] or [name_f]Anne[/name_f] and [name_f]Ann[/name_f], I feel a kid could enjoy sharing a name with amazing literary namesakes even if they have the other spelling variation.
Which is funny, because I don’t think of [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] as being the same as [name_f]Brigid[/name_f]. I can hear a difference most of the time, and I don’t feel attached to Bridgets as namesakes unless someone’s using the other spelling for [name_f]Brigid[/name_f] of Kildare. Go figure.

I think either could be [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] or [name_f]Liz[/name_f], the way [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] can be [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. I like [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelheid[/name_f] together, but I don’t think [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelheid[/name_f] contrast at all.

It sounds like [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] would be the best option for you! You make excellent points (nn [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_m]German[/name_m] version…) so I think you should go with it! [name_m]Will[/name_m] people sometimes spell it with a Z? Most likely. But it’s not a weird spelling like, I don’t know, Elyzabethe or something.

I personally like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] better because the Z makes it spunkier, and it’s also the spelling used for so many historic/literary characters!

I like [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] (partially because it’s part of my own name). It feels more unique than [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I like having it as a name :slight_smile:

Exactly this.

Honestly, I see them both as the same name, like [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. My country uses [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], so I mainly know [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. One of my close friends spells it [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f] though. [name_f]Remember[/name_f] it annoyed her when teachers wrote it as [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f].

Honestly, my favorite is [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. And I feel it would still honor all those figures named [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I never asked myself why I preferred it over [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. It could be as simple as [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is familiar to me and how I have always seen it spelled. I do not find anything wrong with [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. I just personally would not choose that spelling.

I love [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. The z is so strong and almost out of place for me in [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], and I dislike the nicknames [name_f]Liz[/name_f] and [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f], so it’s a natural choice for me. I also like the nicknames [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] and [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]/[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f], so it’s a win-win.

I actually have both spellings on my list and I’m having the same problem. I think [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is more recognizable and familiar, but [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] has a softer look. Going by the points you made, I would choose [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] for you.

I prefer [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. I think the s is softer than a z. I also prefer nicknames like [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] or [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] to [name_f]Liz[/name_f] or [name_f]Eliza[/name_f].

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] all the way! I think it more classic and regal and spunky all rolled into one!

Thanks guys for the opinions! I keep going back and forth. I think I like the [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] spelling better but I feel like I have more reasons to have [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] on my list if that makes since, so thank you so much for telling me why you prefer one over the other. I’d love to hear some more opinions too!

I like [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] best as well. I like that it softer, it has some great historic connection e.g. [name_f]Empress[/name_f] [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] of [name_f]Austria[/name_f] and Hungary (and she was absolutely stunning!), it has some family significance for me as well and since [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is on my list I would consider using it as a longer form. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] feels harsh to me and feels overused compared with [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f].