Ella and Elise

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] berries! Expecting a baby in a few months and hubby and I thinking of using [name_f]Elise[/name_f] if it’s a girl. (Keeping gender a surprise!)

We are just concerned that [name_f]Elise[/name_f] may be too alike to [name_f]Ella[/name_f], which is my niece’s name. We do see each other 1-2 times a week so will be in close contact a lot - hence the concern.

Would definitely not be using [name_f]El[/name_f] or [name_m]Eli[/name_m] as a nickname (maybe Lissy but likely full name mostly) so no worries there.

What do you think?

In my family it’s not unusual for first cousins to share the same first name, so it wouldn’t be a problem for us. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you think your niece and her parents would feel?

When I read the title, I assumed you were talking about sisters, which would be too similar for me.

But, [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_f]Elise[/name_f] for cousins is absolutely fine.

I think it’s fine.

I think it’s fine, and since you don’t plan to use [name_f]El[/name_f] or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] as a nickname, I don’t think there’d be any confusion. Beautiful name!

My thoughts exactly. I volunteer with an after school program for young girls, and we had an [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and and [name_f]Elise[/name_f] in a pretty small group (~10), and there were no issues at all. [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_f]Elise[/name_f] seem distinct enough to me!

I think [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_f]Elise[/name_f] for cousins is totally doable. [name_f]Elise[/name_f] is a lovely name.

I think it is absolutely fine. Yes, the two names begin with the same two letters, but they are distinctly different. You don’t even pronounce the first syllables the same. [name_f]Ella[/name_f] is the [name_f]EL[/name_f] sound and [name_f]Elise[/name_f] is the short “e” sound.

BTW [name_f]Elise[/name_f] is one of my favorite names. There is no need to nickname, but a term of affection could be Lisi, pronounced [name_u]LEE[/name_u] see. I once knew an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] who went by this nickname.

Thanks all! You have put our minds at ease about using [name_f]Elise[/name_f].

And I love the nn Lisi, diane921.

I see no problem at all!

I love the name [name_f]Elise[/name_f]. It works.