Ella, Eliza or Alexia?

See the results of this poll: Ella, Eliza or Alexia?

Respondents: 72 (This poll is closed)

• Ella : 21 (26%)
  • Eliza : 37 (46%)
  • Alexia: 23 (28%)

[name_f]Alexia[/name_f] is my favorite from those options! I also really love [name_f]Ella[/name_f] for you… “lovely & fits all our criteria” sounds like enough reason to let popularity slide.

Other ideas ~
[name_f]Alessia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandria[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_u]Elia[/name_u]
[name_f]Alia[/name_f]

I’d probably nix [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] if you dislike the way it would be pronounced in the place you plan on living. It’s bound to be more of an issue than some of your concerns about the other two names.

Which leaves you with [name_f]Ella[/name_f] or [name_f]Alexia[/name_f]. I think the Amazon connection is not that big a deal. The medical one is also not a big deal. I’ve heard of it, but I work in medicine, whereas most every day people wouldn’t think about this connection. If you love [name_f]Alexia[/name_f] I think it’s very usable.

[name_f]Ella[/name_f] I also like, it would just depend on how much the popularity bothers you. [name_m]Even[/name_m] the most popular names though are probably not as popular as people think. I hear usually “I don’t want my child to be one of 5 ___'s in the class” which is an overblown number. And any other ____'s are going to be few and far between, and not always in the same class as your child. So really, popularity is relative. It doesn’t have to be a dealbreaker.

I think your best bet is either [name_f]Ella[/name_f] or [name_f]Alexia[/name_f]. Of them my personal preference is [name_f]Alexia[/name_f]. It seems to fit really well with your heritage and I like the nickname, too.

I love “e-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-tha”! It’s even prettier than [name_f]Eliza[/name_f].
What would happen to the name [name_f]Elise[/name_f] in all your languages?

Thanks for your answer, Care! Unfortunately we can’t use anything ending in an “s” sound, as our family name starts with TS (that’s Greek names for you!).
It’s a real shame cause we also loved [name_u]Eloise[/name_u] and Inés, but it really is a deal breaker for us.

As for e-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-tha… we’ll have to agree to disagree! :smiley:

I like [name_f]Alexia[/name_f] best, and I agree that the Amazon and medical associations aren’t such a big deal. Perhaps you’d like [name_f]Alexine[/name_f]? I heard it used as a nickname for [name_f]Alexandrine[/name_f] (which you might also like, but it seems a bit long for you) and thought it was lovely. I’d also agree to nix [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] if you don’t like how it’ll be pronounced where you plan to live

You could maybe use a longer name and nickname down to [name_f]Ella[/name_f] if you wanted…

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]”
[name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]”
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]”
[name_f]Ariella[/name_f] “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]”
[name_f]Marcella[/name_f] “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]”
[name_f]Gisella[/name_f] “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]”
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]”
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f] “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]”
[name_f]Elora[/name_f] “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]”
[name_f]Eliora[/name_f] “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]”
Eleska “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]”
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]/[name_f]Estella[/name_f] “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]”

Maybe [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], [name_f]Else[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Elke[/name_f], [name_f]Alma[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Elva[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f] or [name_f]Bella[/name_f] would be a better fit?

I voted for both [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], but on thinking more, I suspect you would be happiest with [name_f]Ella[/name_f] overall, especially if you end up in Spain. It IS a lovely name, it sounds like your last name is fairly unusual so others are unlikely to share her exact name, and [name_f]Ella[/name_f] is unlikely to be mispronounced in ways you don’t enjoy. Good luck!

I don’t really care for [name_f]Ella[/name_f], and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is nice but overall I’d pick [name_f]Alexia[/name_f]. (may be a bit biased but I love it)!

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is one of my favs, however I don’t like the alternate prn. I would use [name_f]Aletha[/name_f] if that is the prn you want. If not, I would go with [name_f]Ella[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Alexia[/name_f]!! It’s my sister’s name so I am biased but the [name_f]Alexa[/name_f]/medical things never bothered her, and since she’s also known as [name_u]Lexie[/name_u] to most people it doesn’t really come up. She really likes her name if you were wondering :slight_smile: I also think [name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_u]Lexie[/name_u] is really sweet

I originally voted for [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] because I love it, but after reading your post I would say to go with [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. The pronunciation of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] will probably end up being a bigger deal than you think, especially if you really hate e-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-tha (although, I do love [name_f]Elisa[/name_f]). I’m not a fan of [name_f]Alexia[/name_f], (I prefer [name_f]Alexa[/name_f]), but I don’t think the Amazon/medical connection is really that big of a deal. Regardless, [name_f]Ella[/name_f] seems like your winner!

Wouldn’t [name_f]Ella[/name_f] pose some problems in Spanish? If I remember my Spanish at all (though it’s been a long time–I might not!), “ella,” pronounced ey-uh is the word for “she.” Is the name well known enough to Spanish speakers to be automatically said as [name_f]El[/name_f]-uh? What about in writing, say as the subject in a sentence?

That’s a lot of questions but I’m very curious about how names travel for my own selfish reasons :wink:

I don’t think your concerns about popularity or the amazon/medical references should hold you back, but I do think if you’re unhappy with the dual pronunciation of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] you may want to scratch it off your list (or use it on the middle)–though personally it’s my favorite of the three.

I prefer [name_f]Alexia[/name_f] for you. It’s actually not uncommon to hear in Spain, although it has a bit of a trendy vibe there. I really like the name [name_f]Ella[/name_f] but I’m afraid it would incite teasing due to the pronoun “ella” meaning she, and the ll sound being pronounced like an English y - although I would imagine this might vary by region, Catalan does know a ll sound pronounced as a l and in communities with lots of expats the name [name_f]Ella[/name_f] might be more familiar. I don’t really see the problem w [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], in Latin [name_u]America[/name_u] the s is quite often replaced by a z w/o change in pronunciation (like [name_f]Izabela[/name_f] for example), I’m aware it’s a different sound in Castilian Spanish but if Spanish people can get these names right, they could also pronounce [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] correctly…? You would obviously have to correct some though, so it depends on yr willingness to deal w that… either way I think [name_f]Alexia[/name_f] is a more beautiful and distinctive name than [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] or [name_f]Ella[/name_f], to be honest. I’d go with [name_f]Alexia[/name_f] :slight_smile:

That is a very good point and yes, you do remember correctly: [name_f]Ella[/name_f] is pronounced Ey-uh in Spanish, and it means “she” or “her”. However, as you also point out, [name_f]Ella[/name_f] is quite a well-known name so I was hoping this could help.

My own name is [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] and I spent my childhood correcting how people pronounced it in Spain! (Nee-KOH-leh). So frustrating!

Somehow I still think [name_f]Ella[/name_f] would be less problematic than [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], but it’d definitely poise its own challenges! It’s just so hard to find a name that we both love, that sounds good in all three languages and that doesn’t end in an S sound! :frowning:

I think [name_f]Alexia[/name_f] is your best bet. I am a teacher in Spain, when we do English reading activities my students exclusively pronounce the name [name_f]Ella[/name_f] as “ey-uh” despite my attempts to explain it is quite a common name in English speaking countries.

I chose [name_f]Alexia[/name_f]…I wouldn’t have known about the medical condition except for loving this name & reading about it. I like just about all of the [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] variants; I don’t know if you’d be interested in [name_f]Alexandrine[/name_f]/[name_f]Alexandria[/name_f]/[name_f]Alexandrina[/name_f], or whether those are too much of a mouthful to go w/your last name, but I thought I’d toss them out there. Good luck! :slight_smile:

I chose [name_f]Alexia[/name_f] - gorgeous name and I don’t see either the Amazon connection or brother [name_u]Max[/name_u] as an issue. I also love [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] but wouldn’t choose it in your circumstances.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] curious, how would you feel about [name_f]Elina[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f], or [name_u]Alix[/name_u]?
Apologies if you’re just trying to narrow things down and not after more suggestions!

No worries and thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate that people are giving very thoughtful answers on this thread!

Re: your suggestions…

• [name_u]Alix[/name_u] is really nice but a boy’s name in my books… I’d feel weird to give it to a girl.
  • [name_f]Elena[/name_f] is ok… but super super common in Spain (and in Greece, in its own version, [name_f]Eleni[/name_f]).
  • As for [name_f]Elina[/name_f], I’ve never heard it but don’t really like it TBH! :smiley:

Thanks anyway :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks for your answer! I’m really pleased that most people are saying that [name_f]Alexia[/name_f] is actually ok re: the medical condition and the silly Amazon gadget! :slight_smile:

Regarding the longer versions of [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], you got it right- we have a proper mouthful of a surname and that’s why we’re after short & sweet names!

Thanks all the same for the name ideas, they are really nice!