Ellen: Is it ready for a comeback?

I’ve been thinking about the [name]Ellen[/name] lately and whether it has the stuff to come back soon as it sounds a lot like the popular [name]Ella[/name]. [name]Ellen[/name] begins with the popular letter E, has a strong L sound, and ends with the trendy -lyn sound. Not that I like names spelled differently, but I can imagine someone bringing it back spelling it “[name]Ellyn[/name]”. Personally I think it’s an okay name, but it’s hard for me to judge because I have so many older relatives named [name]Ellen[/name].

Thoughts?

I like the name [name]Ellen[/name]! Personally, [name]Ellyn[/name] seems like ruining a great name, but it does have a little more style currency. [name]Ellen[/name] would not be a very fashionable comeback; but I just love good, solid names like [name]Ellen[/name]: [name]Martha[/name], [name]Frank[/name], [name]Joseph[/name]. [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Cecily[/name] are nice enough, but solids like those are easier to see on real people.

One name that I (and Nameberry, read their page on this name!) think will come back sooner is [name]Helen[/name], possibly the source for [name]Ellen[/name] and a bit dressier and more a classic. I love [name]Helen[/name]!

Nice thread.

I think that both [name]Ellen[/name] and [name]Helen[/name] should make their way back into rotation; I’m not a huge fan of either but they’re both solid, respectable, pleasant names.

I agree that these names should come back…[name]Ellen[/name] is much nicer spelled this way ([name]Ellen[/name]) and while [name]Helen[/name] is a classic, I prefer [name]Helena[/name].

Wow, I wrote something about [name]Ellen[/name] in my name journal a few days ago. Here it is:

“[name]Ellen[/name] is such a strange little name. Deriving from Greek beauty [name]Helen[/name], [name]Ellen[/name] is a name that was once super popular, then became super old and dated, and is now in a cloud of uncertainty. All or most of the [name]Elle[/name]-related names, that is, [name]Elle[/name] herself, [name]Ella[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Ellianna[/name], as well as names ending in -elle and -ella, are at the height of their popularity. Similar names, [name]Elaine[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name]-related names, [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], and unisex [name]Ellison[/name] are also rising. Perhaps even long-forgotten [name]Eileen[/name] is up for a rebound. Yet [name]Ellen[/name] remains dusty and neglected. Maybe it was just too trendy in the past, or maybe there’s just too many Ellens still around today, (Who can forget famous comedian and talk show host [name]Ellen[/name] Degeneres or [name]Juno[/name] actress [name]Ellen[/name] [name]Page[/name]?)or maybe its simply just too plain. But surely its not out forever, and with cute nicknames like [name]Elle[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Nellie[/name], and [name]Nell[/name], its sure to come back someday.”

So yes, I like [name]Ellen[/name]. Not enough to use it, but I think it deserves to come back. Its very pretty though, and I love [name]Ellie[/name].

I really like [name]Ellen[/name].

I think so. This spelling could modernize the name.

it’s one of my favourite names!! i’m sure because the ella/ellie craze is pretty crazy!

I forgot about the [name]Elin[/name] spelling. It looks a lot more modern and I can definitely see it coming back easier.

I grew up with an [name]Elin[/name] who pronounced her name E-lin (long E sound), which is also how I’ve heard [name]Tiger[/name] Woods’ wife’s name pronounced.

Good luck! :slight_smile: