Elliott, can we avoid Ellie?

If we use [name]Elliott[/name] for our little girl (whether or not you like it for a girl aside) can we avoid her being called [name]Ellie[/name]? I like [name]Elliott[/name] and don’t mine [name]Elle[/name], but I don’t like [name]Ellie[/name].

Thoughts?

While you can call her [name]Elle[/name] or [name]Elliott[/name] at home and tell friends and family to do the same, I think it would be almost impossible to avoid it all together–her friends probably will use it someday, not to mention she might like it herself.

I don’t know how you can avoid it, or why you would not like it if 2/3 of the name you do like sounds like [name]Ellie[/name]. I might spell it [name]Eliot[/name] if that were the case. It’s pared down and looks a bit more masculine, but that’s the only think I can think of is, remove the double L, she’ll still get called [name]El[/name] sometimes. Like pp said, she may like it - when you are the parent and she is the child out to find her way in the world and forge her identity, and she may dislike having a boy’s name (not my opinion, but possibly what she may end up feeling), [name]Ellie[/name] is girly and she may prefer to go by it.

I think it will be hard because [name]Ellie[/name] is so popular. Also, [name]Elliott[/name] being male people may want to girly it up and call her something feminine. The only way to truly avoid it is to choose a name that doesn’t start with el. [name]How[/name] about something that has the same feel or similar sound as [name]Elliott[/name] yet doesn’t begin with el?
[name]Charlotte[/name],[name]Alette[/name], [name]Merritt[/name], [name]Harriett[/name]

[name]Just[/name] thought I’d suggest some other names you might like:

[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Amery[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Delaney[/name]
[name]Campbell[/name]
[name]Waverly[/name]
[name]Millicent[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Erin[/name]! People may naturally want to call her [name]Ellie[/name], but if you correct them, it should stop. I know a [name]Gabriella[/name] who at first was nicknamed [name]Ellie[/name], but now she’s only [name]Gabriella[/name].

I hope you’re doing well! :slight_smile:

Thanks [name]Jill[/name]! Getting down there… 2 and a half weeks till my due date but I think she will be early!!

2.5 weeks?! Seriously? I remember when you announced your pregnancy! :slight_smile: Memories…in the corners of my mind…misty water-colored memories… :slight_smile:

I’ll be thinking of you, and I hope you’ll come back to report about your baby girl! :slight_smile:

Take care! :slight_smile:

Of course I will! We’re probably down to [name]Lucia[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name]/[name]Andie[/name]… But [name]Elliott[/name] and [name]Remi[/name] still pop in there occasionaly, as does [name]Elise[/name], we’ll just have to see what she looks like!

I know I feel like it was just the other day I came on here! I will be back to announce soon! Thank you sincerely for all of your help!

I think if you introduce [name]Elle[/name] as the accepted nickname it will take off and everyone will follow suit. I know plently of people that go by one nickname for a name with many possibilities and its not an issue if you start it out from the beginning.