Ellison or Ella?

We are having a little girl this summer and I think we are slowly narrowing down names. I really fell in love with [name]Ellison[/name] due to the fact that I havent heard it before and it has lots of possibilites for nicknames ([name]El[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Ellis[/name]). I also really really like [name]Ella[/name], but am a little skeptical since its so popular right now. In our state it was #37 in 2010 with approx 500 births. Here are possibilities we’ve come up with… What do you think? Im open to different spellings and middle names. [name]Ive[/name] also considered using [name]Ellisyn[/name]. Oh, and our last name is Richter.

[name]Ellison[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Ellison[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Reese[/name]
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Gray[/name]

Thanks for your help!

I actually like the [name]Ellisyn[/name] spelling better, although most nameberries are going to ream you for that :wink: I like [name]Ellisyn[/name] [name]Grace[/name], and I don’t think it is too much of a stretch to get the nickname [name]Ella[/name] out of [name]Ellisyn[/name]…

I like [name]Ella[/name] [name]Gray[/name], followed by [name]Ella[/name] [name]Reese[/name], and then [name]Ella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. I’m not really a fan of [name]Ellison[/name], sorry–it sounds similar to [name]Allison[/name], so I think a lot would assume it’s a girls’ name, but the -son ending makes it masculine to me. While [name]Ella[/name] may be popular, it’s timeless and sweet and girly, and I think it’ll age a lot better than [name]Ellison[/name] will. If you’re looking for another [name]Ella[/name]/[name]Ellie[/name]/[name]Elle[/name] option, maybe [name]Ellery[/name] would work for you? I think [name]Ellery[/name] [name]Grace[/name], nn [name]Ella[/name]/[name]Ellie[/name]/[name]Elle[/name] would be cute.

Good luck!

I like all three of the [name]Ella[/name] options better than [name]Ellison[/name]. I agree with [name]Ash[/name] that [name]Ellison[/name] sounds very masculine. It even means “son of [name]Ellis[/name]”. Most of the nns you mentioned for [name]Ellison[/name], you could get from [name]Ella[/name] also. [name]Elle[/name], [name]Els[/name], [name]Elly[/name], E, etc. That would give you a lot of options if you ended up around another [name]Ella[/name]. [name]Ella[/name] is a beautiful name and would be just adorable on any little girl!

[name]Ellison[/name] just reminds me of a more masculine version of [name]Allison[/name], sorry. I see the appeal, as I think it’s cute, but I’d personally go with [name]Ella[/name].

I don’t really care for [name]Ellison[/name] - it sounds too similar to ultra trendy [name]Madison[/name] to me! I think [name]Ella[/name], [name]Allison[/name] or even [name]Ellis[/name] would be better - [name]Ellis[/name] [name]Bell[/name] was the pen name of [name]Emily[/name] [name]Bronte[/name], so there’s a nice cultural connection there!

I think [name]Ella[/name] [name]Gray[/name] is adorable! :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Ella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

I prefer [name]Ella[/name]. I don’t mind [name]Ellison[/name] though.