Ellory's Daily Writing Pep-Talk

Hello, Berries!
So, I had the idea last night, to post a daily bit of encouragement. Writing can be hard sometimes, and I’ve found myself looking somewhere for someone to say something, to help me out. And thus, a little pep talk everyday.
Because of Life, I may not get to post something every day, and if I do, it could be anything from a paragraph to a link to some Youtube video. Also, if any of y’all have anything you would ever like to say or add, feel free! You probably have something else more awesome and wonderful than I could ever think of!
Here’s today’s:

Why do you write?
I started writing when I was in first grade. I published very high quality manuscripts on pieces of copy paper with construction paper. And since then, I’ve always loved to write! I mean, you get to make up new best friends (or enemies), your own world, and it seems, when you’re writing, you actually get to have control in life. But whenever writing gets hard…and you want to quit…that’s when you have to remember: why do you write? Are you writing because it’s fun? [name_u]Or[/name_u] are you writing because you feel like you have to? If you aren’t published, then what you’re doing right now isn’t a job. People really aren’t expecting you to have to write. It’s really a hobby.
But for some reason, you’re still doing it. So remember that, because the minute you make it a chore, then it’s not going to be fun. And if you hate what you’re writing, then write what you love! Be kind to yourself.

Quick [name_u]Poll[/name_u]- Did you find this helpful?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Have a wonderful morning/afternoon/evening! (Actually, just have a great day!)

-Ellory

5 Likes

Today… I have some random writing-related quotes. Here you go:

Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open.

— [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] Goldberg

If you wait for inspiration to write you’re not a writer, you’re a waiter.

— [name_m]Dan[/name_m] Poynter

First, find out what your hero wants, then just follow him.”

— [name_u]Ray[/name_u] [name_m]Bradbury[/name_m]

Challenge Time! (Of course, it’s entirely optional.)
Pick one of these words–which are all derived from the quotes–to include in your writing sometime this week. If you’d like, share your sentence with us! We’d love to hear it.

Word options

Disturb
Split
[name_f]Inspiration[/name_f]
[name_u]Hero[/name_u]

Here’s my sentence:
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f] was his greatest inspiration, and she didn’t even know it.

Good luck today. Have a spectacular morning/afternoon/evening! :grin:

-Ellory

1 Like

Happy [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f]! ([name_m]Even[/name_m] though it feels like a [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f]…)
[name_u]Or[/name_u] maybe it’s already [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f] where you live. And it feels like a [name_m]Thursday[/name_m]. I’m going to stop, now.

This one’s short, so here we go:
If you aren’t sure of what comes next, think of it like your eating Thanksgiving dinner (or just a really big meal). Eat what you want to first. So write what you want to come next. Whatever’s been tugging at you, or whatever you have planned to happen 30 chapters on, write it now. (Unless you’re revising. In that case, revise what you want to first.)

Now, you may feast! :plate_with_cutlery:
Good luck, today! Have a great rest of the day!

• Ellory

Aargh! I almost forgot to do this. (I don’t actually know how many people read this, so whatever.)

Here’s today’s:
The other day, I realized something randomly while sitting in the car. This tidbit was, You [name_m]Can[/name_m]’t [name_m]Just[/name_m] Quit Because It’s Getting Hard. After writing for so long, I just now realized that. I thought I’d share. So don’t quit, fellow Berries!
You got this!

Good [name_u]Day[/name_u], Mate!

-Ellory

Curious: How many of you actually read this?
  • I do, regularly!
  • I don’t. (this one’s kinda stupid, tbh. Cause, you ARE reading it…)
  • I sometimes do.

0 voters

Ugh, I keep forgetting to do this! So here we go. Today, we’re going to focus on self-appreciation. We’ll start off with a few quotes:

Be everything to you, not everything to everybody. -[name_u]Lisa[/name_u] Lieberman-Wang

You were born to be real, not to be perfect. -[name_m]Unknown[/name_m]

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. -[name_m]Ralph[/name_m] [name_m]Waldo[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]

Okay, I want you to go find a mirror, or use your phone. Look at your face, somehow. You are an amazing person. You are awesome and intelligent and creative. You are made to be just the way you are, and any time you get down or discouraged, just remember how freaking awesome you are. YOU ARE FANTASTIC.
If the people in your life tell you you’re not, if people tell you how imperfect you are, remember that they don’t define you. No one or no thing can define you except you. You and your actions.
Be how you want yourself to be, because this world has unrealistic expectations for you. No one can change who you are–only you can. Spend some time either today or tomorrow loving yourself. If you’re struggling with that, surround yourself with positivity. Surround yourself with people that make you feel good about yourself, and be kind.
You are not perfect, and you never will be. But you are supposed to be the way you are. Sometimes it helps to be kind to other people to feel kinder about yourself. If you don’t think that anyone loves you right now, I do.

Did you know that you’re loved?
  • No
  • Yes
  • I do now
0 voters

If you ever need anything, feel free to PM me. Whatever you say will remain confidential. [name_u]Love[/name_u] yourself today! :heart:

Have a great day, my friends!

-Ellory

3 Likes

I haven’t done this in a while, but I just wanted to drop on and say that y’all are awesome. Writing is honestly a masochistic activity at times, and somehow, we all manage to come every so often. I’m proud of y’all! Keep on writing, my friends.

Have an amazing rest of your daylight hours.
-Ellory

2 Likes

Hello folks! How are you today?

• I’m awesome!
  • I’m great!
  • I’m okay.
  • I’m fine.
  • I could be better.
  • Not great.
  • Bad.
  • Today’s awful.
  • Something else that doesn’t fall on this spectrum

0 voters

I’ve been struggling with procrastination lately, so there’s a little quiz below with ideas to help you if you’re struggling with the same thing.

I haven't been procrastinating.

Lucky you! PM me on how you do this, if you have any free time! :wink:

I haven't been able to stay focused
I like music

Open a playlist and write/do a task for the entire duration of the song. Then, reward yourself! Maybe read through a post on NB, play with your dog, etc. Next time, try doing it for two songs, then reward yourself. Keep pushing for longer and longer sessions. [name_f]Remember[/name_f] to be kind to yourself, and don’t stress. Stress doesn’t make for good creativity.

I enjoy scrolling through Nameberry. A lot.

Write for 15-30 minutes. Then, set another timer and look through NB, or really any social media site for 10 minutes. Then write. Then social media. Then write…

I just...NOTHING WORKS!
  1. Set a deadline, and get someone to hold you accountable. Maybe you want to write 5,000 words before the end of spring break. Tell a little sibling, friend, parent, SO, or someone else that if you haven’t reached your goal by then, you owe them ten bucks.
  2. Shut off the internet. Very effective.
  3. Maybe there’s something wrong with the story itself. Look through your plot, your characters; maybe it’s just writer’s block. BE KIND TO YOURSELF.

A reminder:
You don’t have to be perfect all the time, or at all. No matter what, your mental health proceeds writing. If you have mental barriers that are blocking what you “need” to do, then please talk to someone you trust. You proceed your writing! :heart:

I hope this helps, friends! No matter what, I believe in all of you. Keep on writing, and keep on being kind to yourself. [name_f]My[/name_f] DMs are always open. :slightly_smiling_face:

Until next time,

Ellory

3 Likes

Alrighty. [name_m]Hi[/name_m] guys! I saw this today, and I just thought of y’all! So, here you go:

-Ellory

2 Likes

Here’s some writing-related quotes!

900+ Writing Quotes and [name_f]Inspiration[/name_f] ideas | quotes, writing quotes, words

50+ Inspiring Quotes About Writing and Writers

Quotes about Good Writing (431 quotes)

Today, try thinking of one thing–just one!–that made you smile. Try writing it down, or sharing it when someone you know and trust. I know it sounds cheesy, but if life’s rocky, then you have to try to think of something good. I’m a huge hypocrite for saying this, because I’m honestly a pessimist. And if your life is good, then spend time with people you enjoy being around, people who make you feel good about yourself. You only have limited time on this planet, so let’s try making the most of it, yeah?

I hope that the rest of your daylight hours are fantastic, my fellow Berries!

• Ellory

PS, I’m running low on ideas of pep-talks, so if you have any ideas/suggestions, please PM me. Tysm! :blush:

2 Likes

Here y’all go! Today’s just for a quote, as I’m a tad bit busy. :blush:

william-faulkner-quote-lbn8c8o

Have an excellent day, my friends! (even though mine’s almost over :joy:)

-Ellory

Thank you, @mossyrock!

3 Likes

Hey, friends!
Today, I was listening to some music, and I realized that a lot of songs follow a very similar pattern, based on their genre. For example, classic rock. Most of the songs, I noticed, had a very distinct pattern they would follow. They would sing, then about 2/3 through the song, there would be a break where it was just instrumental music, then, when they came back singing, they would hop right into the chorus.
Now, what is the point of this, you might ask.
Let me tell you, then:
Sometimes, when you’re running out of inspiration, or have no idea what comes next in your book, look back to the roots, what genre you’re in. How do other fantasy books work? Historical fiction? Crime novels? Sometimes, it’s okay to write a trope. Sometimes, tropes get you out of your slumps.
So don’t give up, my friends. Instead, look back to your genre, and maybe even listen to some actual music! Oftentimes, that can really help!

Have a fantastic day/night/afternoon! :heart:

• Ellory
2 Likes

A little fact about myself- I could write pre-preK.

That was a weird sentence but okay- :joy:

2 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] again

This was actually a nice reminder to post; thank you [name_u]Skye[/name_u].

Good day, loves! How are all of y’all?
I haven’t written in literal ages, but I hope y’all have! So, today, I think we’re going to do a little of a questionnaire; the Teenberries have inspired me. Here’s some questions you can just think about, jot down in a notebook, or answer on this thread, if you’d like.

1. What do you love most about your writing style?
  2. What is your favorite protagonist you’ve ever written?
  3. [name_m]Favorite[/name_m] antagonist?
  4. [name_m]Favorite[/name_m] character in general?
  5. What’s your favorite named character?
  6. What’s your favorite trope. On that note, your least favorite?
  7. What about your writing frustrates you? How can you improve that?
  8. What’s your current goal? How are you going to reach it?
  9. What book/author has inspired you to write the most? Why/how?
  10. What is your favorite plot-twist in a book not by you? What’s your favorite plot-twist you’ve written?

Adios, friends! :heart:

• Ellory
1 Like