Ellory's Daily Writing Pep-Talk

Hello, Berries!
So, I had the idea last night, to post a daily bit of encouragement. Writing can be hard sometimes, and I’ve found myself looking somewhere for someone to say something, to help me out. And thus, a little pep talk everyday.
Because of Life, I may not get to post something every day, and if I do, it could be anything from a paragraph to a link to some Youtube video. Also, if any of y’all have anything you would ever like to say or add, feel free! You probably have something else more awesome and wonderful than I could ever think of!
Here’s today’s:

Why do you write?
I started writing when I was in first grade. I published very high quality manuscripts on pieces of copy paper with construction paper. And since then, I’ve always loved to write! I mean, you get to make up new best friends (or enemies), your own world, and it seems, when you’re writing, you actually get to have control in life. But whenever writing gets hard…and you want to quit…that’s when you have to remember: why do you write? Are you writing because it’s fun? [name_u]Or[/name_u] are you writing because you feel like you have to? If you aren’t published, then what you’re doing right now isn’t a job. People really aren’t expecting you to have to write. It’s really a hobby.
But for some reason, you’re still doing it. So remember that, because the minute you make it a chore, then it’s not going to be fun. And if you hate what you’re writing, then write what you love! Be kind to yourself.

Quick [name_u]Poll[/name_u]- Did you find this helpful?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Have a wonderful morning/afternoon/evening! (Actually, just have a great day!)

-Ellory

3 Likes

Today… I have some random writing-related quotes. Here you go:

Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open.

— [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] Goldberg

If you wait for inspiration to write you’re not a writer, you’re a waiter.

— [name_m]Dan[/name_m] Poynter

First, find out what your hero wants, then just follow him.”

— [name_u]Ray[/name_u] [name_m]Bradbury[/name_m]

Challenge Time! (Of course, it’s entirely optional.)
Pick one of these words–which are all derived from the quotes–to include in your writing sometime this week. If you’d like, share your sentence with us! We’d love to hear it.

Word options

Disturb
Split
[name_f]Inspiration[/name_f]
[name_u]Hero[/name_u]

Here’s my sentence:
Rosie was his greatest inspiration, and she didn’t even know it.

Good luck today. Have a spectacular morning/afternoon/evening! :grin:

-Ellory

1 Like

Happy [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f]! ([name_m]Even[/name_m] though it feels like a [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f]…)
[name_u]Or[/name_u] maybe it’s already [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f] where you live. And it feels like a [name_m]Thursday[/name_m]. I’m going to stop, now.

This one’s short, so here we go:
If you aren’t sure of what comes next, think of it like your eating Thanksgiving dinner (or just a really big meal). Eat what you want to first. So write what you want to come next. Whatever’s been tugging at you, or whatever you have planned to happen 30 chapters on, write it now. (Unless you’re revising. In that case, revise what you want to first.)

Now, you may feast! :plate_with_cutlery:
Good luck, today! Have a great rest of the day!

• Ellory

Aargh! I almost forgot to do this. (I don’t actually know how many people read this, so whatever.)

Here’s today’s:
The other day, I realized something randomly while sitting in the car. This tidbit was, You [name_m]Can[/name_m]’t [name_m]Just[/name_m] Quit Because It’s Getting Hard. After writing for so long, I just now realized that. I thought I’d share. So don’t quit, fellow Berries!
You got this!

Good [name_u]Day[/name_u], Mate!

-Ellory

Curious: How many of you actually read this?
  • I do, regularly!
  • I don’t. (this one’s kinda stupid, tbh. Cause, you ARE reading it…)
  • I sometimes do.

0 voters