Eloise or Margot? Please help us decide!

We are days away from having our little girl and struggling between the names [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f]!

[name_m]Can[/name_m] you help us decide?

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is a last minute contender. I love that it’s [name_m]French[/name_m], feminine without being frilly and well-known without being too common here in the UK (although I know it’s becoming more popular due to Bridgerton). It sounds classy, like a ballerina.

Cons:

• Its meaning (healthy/ wide/ famous warrior) is ok but could be better.
  • The current popularity of [name_f]El[/name_f] names and the likelihood of being shortened to Ellie/ [name_f]Elle[/name_f]. I don’t dislike those per se but find them boring since there are so many. I’ve read through all other potential nicknames (most common being Elo, [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Lulu[/name_f], Lolly) and haven’t found one I’ve loved. We also have a son named [name_m]Leo[/name_m] and, since Elo is an anagram of that, that might be odd.
  • I wonder if I’ll be bothered to say all the full name syllables e.g. “that’s Eloise’s book!’’ (four syllables when you use the possessive) or if I’ll need to revert to a nickname out of laziness.
  • I also don’t love its closeness to [name_f]Louise[/name_f], which gives me 90s vibes, and the association with ‘wheeze’.

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] had been our favorite until recently. Also [name_m]French[/name_m], classy, recognizable without being too common, lovely meaning (pearl) and, at two syllables, easier to say and less likely to need a nickname.

However, my husband wonders if it might be too bold (it’s a Marmite name – people love or loathe it) and it doesn’t feel as pretty or feminine, perhaps a little truncated. It also doesn’t give too much nickname potential in case our daughter grows up not liking it.

We’d like a name that works on a teenager and woman as well as a baby/ toddler. I’m not so fussed about whether it goes with my son’s name/ her middle name/ our surname. I just want to focus on nailing the right first name.

Any advice appreciated!

1 Like

It’s a hard choice, they really are both lovely!

I don’t know if Ellie is entirely avoidable for Eloise, but it has so many other cute nicknames that you could definitely make one of them work! I love Elsie & Elo – I don’t think the similarity to Leo matters, since it’s only a nickname. Izzy would also come naturally to me!

I (personally) wouldn’t pay too much attention to the meaning of the name. I don’t like the meaning of my own name but I’ve never cared or been asked about it by anyone else :sweat_smile: Although, I’d argue that healthy is a lovely meaning and wish to bestow upon a baby!

As for Margot, I do agree that it can be a bit divisive, but I don’t think it’s too divisive - it’s even more popular than Eloise, after all. And I actually think it has plenty of cute nickname options! Mari, Maro and Maggie could all work well. Maybe even Maisie, since that one is originally a nickname for Margaret!

I personally like Eloise a little bit more, but you can’t go wrong with either one! Maybe you could practice using it to see if you would default to a nickname, since that’s something you’re worried about? And then see how you feel about that nickname then.

I’m not sure if you’re looking for suggestions, but Elodie came to mind instantly. It’s very similar to Eloise and also French, but it’s shorter, which solves your concern about Eloise being too long in the possessive form, and it doesn’t have the similarities to Louise that you aren’t as fond of. Elowen could work for the same reasons! Some other ideas could be Juliette, Amelie, Cecily, Eliza, Flora, Georgina, Helena, Iris, Lara, Maren, Phoebe, Pippa, Rosalie, Sylvie, Thea, or Willa. Good luck!

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] nickname [name_f]Marcy[/name_f], [name_m]Mars[/name_m], Gogo, [name_f]Margie[/name_f].

1 Like

I think based on what you’ve said [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is the way to go. I feel your pain re [name_f]El[/name_f]- names, there are so many beautiful options but I discounted them all based on the potential for [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], which I dislike a lot more than you by the sound of it, but still. If you wouldn’t want to hear [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], I would eliminate it on this reason alone tbh. We can’t choose nicknames unfortunately.

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] is chic, sweet on a little one bit elegant on a lady, while being simultaneously spunky.

[name_f]My[/name_f] order of preference:

1. [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Margot[/name_f]

You seem more sold on [name_f]Margot[/name_f] than [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], so I want to address some of y’alls concerns.
Both names are undoubtedly feminine, just different subtypes, and both have this lively zest to them. [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is more chic feminine, and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is more of a frilly feminine. I also don’t see [name_f]Margot[/name_f] as being all that marmite-y. The [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] spelling might very well be, but [name_f]Margot[/name_f] isn’t.

There is always a possibility that her opinion of her name will be different. I’ve heard it said on here that names are like a gift. You bestow them with love and care, not knowing exactly what the recipient’s taste’ll be. And if needed, she can go by her middle name, or there might be a silly pet name that sticks. At this point, you have two great options and really can’t go wrong either way.

Tough choice!

On a first glance, based just on my impression of the two names:

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] → elegant, sleek and pretty, cheerful but serious too. I like nn [name_f]Lolo[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Lissy[/name_f], but the possibility of [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] doesn’t excite me (though none of the Eloises I’ve known have been called that)

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] → vintage, warm, stylish and bubbly at the same time, distinctive but also familiar. One drawback is that it has a couple of familiar spelling variants, though this is my intuitive one

Reviewing your concerns:

• it’s a solid meaning - could you pair it with a middle to improve it? Like [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Kerensa[/name_f] (wide, healthy love), [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] (healthy and happy), [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Vita[/name_f] (healthy life)

• I can understand this one - though, as I mentioned, the Eloises I’ve met haven’t been nicknamed - not to say it wouldn’t happen :person_shrugging:

• [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and [name_m]Leo[/name_m] → does make some of the nn feel too matchy?

• I know plenty of Olivias and Elizabeths who use/get called their fullname all the time. I guess only you can decide that one - and it may well be tempting to drop some of the syllables

• it does remind me of [name_f]Louise[/name_f] but with a twist, but I’d never have thought of wheeze :man_shrugging: - I guess I think ‘eeze’ _-> breeze instead

• a [name_f]Margot[/name_f] could be [name_f]Mari[/name_f], [name_f]Mara[/name_f], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], [name_f]Mags[/name_f], [name_m]Mo[/name_m], [name_f]Maisy[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_m]Glow[/name_m], [name_m]Mars[/name_m]?

• the [name_f]Margot[/name_f] I knew got compliments on her name - I think she was the first they’d met - but you’re right, I know there has been divided opinions in the forums too.

Overall:

I’d still go with [name_f]Margot[/name_f], I think. The one you’ve liked longest, and also just my favourite :grin:

I’m probably no help on your actual choice, because I’m on the side of strongly disliking [name_f]Margot[/name_f], so it’s [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] all the way for me.

But I just wanted to chime in on having a child with a 3-syllable name and nicknames. I have 3 daughters - 2 have 3-syllable names, one has a 4-syllable name. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband doesn’t like nicknames, so they are always known by the full names - except for me, because I say their names so many times a day!

Right from when they were little, I’ve had short names for them based on something about them (not at all related to their names). I probably use their full name about half the time, and then a cute name the other half of the time. And when they are really in trouble, it’s their full name with middle and last names included. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] is an absolute gem :sparkles:

One of my favorite people ever is named [name_f]Margot[/name_f], so I am very biased, but I really adore that name. It’s full of unique sounds but is still familiar. It’s international and smart! I love everything about it.

I prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f]!

I like the sparkly, peppy feel of Eloise as well as the casual, self-confident feel of Margot. I lean towards Eloise being so familiar to me but I’m also not a fan of Ellie (ie even Elle) so I would only pick it if you like a nickname or can insist on the full name. I wouldn’t worry about the proximity to Leo - they’re both close - there’s either Elo or there is Margo (o-ending).

A midpoint/smoosh option of both names might be Mabel - has some of the balletic pep of Eloise but the dusty, cool charm of Margot. But from what you’ve said, on balance I think the tailored Margot is the name! Love that you’re naming for an adult either way.

Eloise Margot sounds beautiful

Both names are absolutely beautiful, elegant and bright. [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is sparkling and bright. [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is gentle and poetic. Both names sound very melodic, energetic and happy! I love that both are international and easy to use in multiple languagues.
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] is my favorite name, but if I were you, if it was an option, I would go with the magnificent combination [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]!