Elowen vs Gwendolen

See the results of this poll: Which do you prefer?

Respondents: 54 (This poll is closed)

• Gwendolen : 30 (56%)
  • Elowen: 24 (44%)

I love them both. I think I slightly prefer [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] because of the [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] nickname.
I think they are a bit theme-y for siblings but not too close. By that I mean if you ever have a third girl, you will have to find another -wen name to keep the pattern.

I prefer [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f], and I think they are definitely too close for siblings

[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] has the edge for me and yes, too close for sibs sorry! x

I love -wen names, so… hmm… [name_f]Arwen[/name_f]? [name_f]Anwen[/name_f]? Maybe break a bit and go [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]? :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks.

[name_m]Ah[/name_m], thought so :stuck_out_tongue: Damn.

As a [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f], I felt compelled to vote for [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]. [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] is nice, too, but I think you’d get more pronunciation issues. And yep, too close for siblings. And of the alternatives you just listed, I vote [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]! Cohesive, but distinct. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it.

I’ve always loved [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] (see list!) so that has my vote. Part of why I so love [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] is that I think the whole name by itself is great, but I also like all of the nicknames you can pull from it - [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], [name_f]Wendy[/name_f], [name_f]Dolly[/name_f]. I feel I should like [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] but the “elow” sound doesn’t appeal to me - it feels more “slippery” and [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] has consonants that make it feel more solid.

Too close for sisters, I’m afraid. But I don’t think all -wen names are off the table: [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] and [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f], for instance, sounds fine.

I much prefer [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], even if some people are going to put the emphasis in the wrong place. But then, I like [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] too, which has the same issue.

[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]! I don’t see the appeal of [name_f]Elowen[/name_f].

I love both, but I like that [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] has a gentler sound, and it’s closer to Merewen, which is a favourite of mine.

I love [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] (my eldest’s name!). I like [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] too but I think depending on where you are, more people are going to think it’s a made up/fantasy fiction name. I could be totally off base on that, but that’s what I would be afraid of. Same with [name_f]Arwen[/name_f]. They’re just very [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings-y and for non-name nerds, it might not be known that they’re real names with history.

I had a difficult time coming up with a name for my younger daughter, that I loved as much as [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] and stood up next to it. [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] is good. I also liked [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f], [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]. We ended up with [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]!

I’m not a big fan of [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f], so I would pick [name_f]Elowen[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] more than [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] in full, but I absolutely love [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]. Prob too close for sisters. I have an [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and wish I could use [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]… they don’t actually rhyme! but they are one letter apart. One very similar looking letter… :slight_smile:

I’m partial to [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f].

[name_m]Both[/name_m] are beautiful names, but I have to say [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]. I just love it too much. And a nickname for it could just be [name_f]El[/name_f]/[name_f]Elle[/name_f].

And yeah I think they’re too close for siblings. [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]/[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] would work better, I think.

I greatly prefer [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - she’s gorgeous. I like [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] too, but something about [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] is just magic.

I do think they are too close for siblings as first, but if one were first and the other middle, I wouldn’t see it as being too similar to use for sisters.

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] gets my vote, but I do like both.