Elsa... Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS?

I named my little girl [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]. The description of [name]Elsa[/name] here on nameberry includes a reference to [name]Ilsa[/name], She-[name]Wolf[/name] of the SS, which was an exploitation film from the 70s about a real-life nazi concentration camp commandante named [name]Ilsa[/name]. Nameberry suspects this association may be why the name [name]Elsa[/name] hasn’t enjoyed a surge in popularity like similar name [name]Ella[/name].

I’m just curious how many nameberry-ites associate the name [name]Elsa[/name] with [name]Ilsa[/name], She-[name]Wolf[/name] of the SS. I had never heard of the film before reading about it here. I consider [name]Elsa[/name] to be a nice balance of sweet and sophisticated, serious and creative. I certainly don’t think of Nazis…and would feel terrible if other people heard my daughter’s name and thought of that horrible person and film.

What do you think?

I agree–I don’t think of any of those things! I actually think of [name]Ilsa[/name] that was on the show Human Target that was canceled last year (?) I think it was. I didn’t love her character but I loved the show so it has good associations for me. It has such a soft and sweet sound to me–I didn’t make the negative connections at all! I would think people would think of [name]Ilsa[/name] from Casablanca before they would think of that [name]Ilsa[/name]. Weird…

Not at all. If anything, I think of [name]Isla[/name] from Casablanca, which is a positive association in my mind. I think [name]Elsa[/name] is a lovely name.

Like you I do not have any negative associations with [name]Elsa[/name]. We’re currently TTC and if it’s a girl I’m naming her [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Fleur[/name]. No doubt. I saw that description too, and I promptly disregarded it.

I saw that somebody used [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] in the quarterly announcement blog and got excited! Nobody else seems to be using [name]Elsa[/name]! :slight_smile:

I don’t associate it with that at all. Also [name]Ilsa[/name] sounds very different to me. No need to worry, [name]Elsa[/name] is lovely and I’m sure it will make a comeback. It has gotten more popular lately. Much of the information you find on this site is kind of dated, in my opinion. [name]Elsa[/name] might have been weird 10 years ago but now it’s stylish.

I’ve never heard of [name]Ilsa[/name] the she-wolf at all. I sort of associate [name]Elsa[/name] with [name]Elizabeth[/name], but that’s about it. I think it is a lovely sounding name!

I have no idea what your talking about. [name]Elsa[/name] is a nice name.

I do associate [name]Ilsa[/name] with it.

[name]Elsa[/name] I mostly associate with the [name]Born[/name] [name]Free[/name] lioness. :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard of that movie or that person and I live in Germany :wink: So, definitely not a problem. Sometimes I wonder who writes these descriptions with associations that no one shares.

[name]Elsa[/name] is a typical [name]German[/name] name (at least very common here), currently becoming trendy again thanks to sisters [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Ella[/name]. No one here would ever think of the Nazis. Also, you will probably find a stupid / evil person for every name in the world.

I’ve never heard of the film either.
[name]Elsa[/name] is related to [name]Ilsa[/name] (both being short forms of [name]Elizabeth[/name]), but I don’t think the natural progession of most peoples’ thought process is [name]Elsa[/name]->[name]Ilsa[/name]->Nazi. No, definitely not. Plus, like a PP said, you’ll be able to find a negative association for pretty much every name.

The database here can be a little shaky. [name]One[/name] of my favourite names’ listed pronunciation is so far off the mark. I think with pretty much any database though, especially when some of it is user-submitted or opinion-based, you just have to think critically about it and take it with a grain of salt. I wouldn’t worry, if I were you. [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] is a gorgeous name!

I have never heard of this [name]Ilsa[/name] she-wolf person and have no negative associations with [name]Elsa[/name], which is a lovely name. I don’t think you should worry about it.

I love the name [name]Elsa[/name]. I only have good associations with it. I’ve never heard of the [name]Ilsa[/name] link at all…very strange.

I also don’t have those associations. I like her name :slight_smile:

Thanks all. I feel much better! The lion association I can live with. :slight_smile: