Elsa?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think using the name [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] during a time where there’s so much Frozen hype would be torturous for a little girl? My husband and I both like the name a lot (especially because we have an older daughter named [name_f]Heidi[/name_f]), but I worry it will always be met with “Oh, like from Frozen?”

One issue I’m having with [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is the popularity aspect. While it’s popularity ranks in the 500s, it is really everywhere right now, so it kind of puts the name in a strange category of being unusual yet extremely common.

Would you use it? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it will shoot up in popularity?

I like it! I’m sure it will climb the charts a little at least, but I doubt it will break the top 100, or even the top 250. You’d probably here a lot of the “Oh like from Frozen?” comments, but by the time your child is school aged, Frozen will be a lot less popular and the link won’t be quite as strong so she probably wouldn’t hear it much.

I actually adore the name [name_f]Ailsa[/name_f], which is super similar to [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] but likely to be less heard of and doesn’t have the same strong pop culture association.

I like [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] a lot, and think it would work beautifully as a sister name for [name_f]Heidi[/name_f]. While yes, there are sure to be Frozen associations made with a little [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], I don’t think it’s a big deal (the associations a positive one, so I don’t see a problem). Of course people will mention it, as for most it is their only association for such a name, but no, I definitely don’t think you should cut it from your list, especially if you love it so much. Also, while I think that yes, [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] will jump up the charts a fair bit, I don’t think she’ll get too high.

Unfortunately, yes, there is a chance everyone will immediately draw the connection to Frozen…unless, of course, they live under a rock lol. Big money is being made off of Frozen, so it will probably be around for awhile longer :frowning: …but not forever. I knew several [name_u]Ariel[/name_u]'s, [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]'s and [name_f]Belle[/name_f]'s growing up, but now no one would really draw much connection to The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid, Aladin, or Beauty of the Beast (unless you’re a huge classic Disney fan, like myself lol). [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Elise[/name_f]? It’s similar to [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] and sounds good with [name_f]Heidi[/name_f], in my opinion.

I think [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is perfect with [name_f]Heidi[/name_f]. Frozen may be an issue for a while but it will fade.

[name_f]Ilsa[/name_f], [name_f]Elva[/name_f] and [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] all sound quite similar to [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] without the Frozen association. But I think [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] sounds great with [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] and a lot of little girls would love to share their name with a Disney princess.

I think in about 2 years, [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] will come back to “usability.” For right now, I think Frozen is way too big of a deal. Most people would just assume you named her after the [name_f]Queen[/name_f] from Frozen.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] because a name is associated with a movie, a famous person, or a product brand, doesn’t mean that that’s why you chose that name for your child. I would assume that you just loved the name, period. The Frozen hype will die down and you won’t have to regret not using it. [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] and [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] are perfect together!

I say go for it. As another poster said, there are plenty of Belles, Jasmines, and Ariels who made it through life unscathed - and your baby won’t be attending school for at least another four years. By then Frozen’s popularity will be receding somewhat. It’s a positive association anyway; it’s not like you’re naming her Maleficent or [name_f]Ursula[/name_f]. People might notice it initially, but once they get to know your daughter, she’ll just be your [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], not the animated character from Frozen.

1 Like

[name_f]Heidi[/name_f] and [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] are stunning as siblings! I wouldn’t let the popularity of Frozen affect your choice to use it. It’s a gorgeous name, and all the [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]'s, [name_f]Belle[/name_f]'s, [name_u]Ariel[/name_u]'s, [name_f]Tiana[/name_f]'s, etc do just fine. I have an [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and get frozen comments even though we say her name as [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-uh not Awn-uh. Doesn’t bother me and I know in a couple years it won’t be as big of an association.

If I met a little [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], I wouldn’t assume that her parents named her AFTER the disney princess, I would however make the connection to Frozen. I do this with any number of names and I assume others do too, whether its associations to pop culture or personal experiences. Many of them are very popular: [name_u]Harper[/name_u]? [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] “To Kill a Mockingbird”, [name_u]Finn[/name_u] “[name_m]Huck[/name_m] [name_u]Finn[/name_u]”, etc.

[name_f]Elsa[/name_f] was not a name invented by the creators of Frozen and I like to think most people realize that. The movie has made it young again and put it back on the map, where before I feel like many would have put it into “old lady” territory (though old fashioned seems to be trending along with “el/ella” names in general, which is also why this name is appealing to people).

I would assume that you loved the name. You could go with a longer variation, if there is one that you love, and use [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] as a nickname. That way if you find the “Frozen” comments are too much to bear, you have a fall back: [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f], [name_f]Elisabetta[/name_f] – there are lots of different Elizabeths out there. You’ve received some good ideas for alternatives, not sure if [name_f]Elke[/name_f] or Elska or even [name_f]Etta[/name_f] was mentioned? I think [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] and Elska is excellent. I find [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] so endearing.

On another note, your daughter as a young child when Disney stuff will actually matter will be quite pleased to share a name with one very cool princess and by the time she’s even able to take notice, the craze will have died down. :slight_smile: I remember wishing I was named [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f] when [name_m]Aladdin[/name_m] came out. Hahaha.

I agree that it is a passing fad, but if you like two syllabled Girls names with a Germanic feel, just a couple more to consider if you are really worried:

[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Frida[/name_f]
[name_f]Marie[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]

Or if it’s the [name_f]El[/name_f] sound of [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], what about [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]?

My grandmother’s name was [name_f]Ailsa[/name_f], which is an absolutely lovely name. Sounds just like [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] but with a different spelling. I had a little girl (she was about 4) in the dance class i taught last year who’s name was [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], but as soon as the popularity or Frozen caught on she despised her name and would only answer to the nickname [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], and refused to acknowledge that her name was [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]! It was both funny and quite sad, I think she felt like her name was stolen off her!

[name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is a great name. And the Frozen-thing might seem very important right now, but it will pass. If I met a little [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], I wouldn’t think of the Disney movie. I doubt a lot of people will, except for parents with little girls obsessing over Disney princesses.

My 3-year-old is [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] and we get comments about it every. single. day. Proceed with caution.

It’s a lovely name but I wouldn’t personally use it. There was actually a really similar thread on here a few months back. There was one lady who had commented that she named her daughter [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] (right before the movie came out) and now it has become such an issue that they are strongly considering changing the name.

If you’re really easy going about EVERYONE commenting on the comparison and that won’t get old then go for it as it is beautiful and the sibset is beautiful. That would drive me nuts, especially when my name choice had nothing to do with the movie. I’d be constantly eye rolling to my SO. And you can’t really say, “Oh she’s [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] but we didn’t name her after the movie!” Because that makes it look even more like you named her after the movie :stuck_out_tongue:

I think [name_f]Elisa[/name_f] is just as beautiful and you could shorten to [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] if you wanted to at home. I also love [name_f]Elin[/name_f] which is a bit similar too.

I should add that I have no little ones in my family and my friends have not started having kids yet. I don’t work in a school, etc. No regular contact with little guys. And me and my entire circle still knows this movie and this name. I don’t think it’s limited to those who have Frozen obsessed children.

spring07 was the username of the woman who had used [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] for her daughter. Maybe PM her and see what she says on the subject. This was her post from Oct/14:

Here is my honest opinion…[name_f]Do[/name_f] not name your daughter [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]. I speak from experience unfortunately.
We have liked the name [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] for years, and had never seen Frozen. Well, 6 months ago, we named our daughter [name_f]Elsa[/name_f].
Since then, we have been made fun of for naming her “after Frozen”. We tell people we didn’t name her after the movie, and no one believes us. People have laughed at us when we tell them her name (total strangers in fact). Neighbors have told me they would never have named her [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]. We thought originally it would die down, but 6 months later, it is just as bad. I go to the gym, people laugh at her name. I go get my haircut, people bring it up. It is honetly really difficult for us, so bad that we are seriously considering changing her first name. In fact, I am calling the court house tomorrow to inquire about it. Our fear is, if people are giving us such a hard time about it, how are her peers going to treat her when she’s older? Frozen is a major movie, and we are afraid the association with Frozen is just too much. We have gotten to the point where we are embarrassed to tell people her name, and when we do, we now have to say, “This is [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]…But we didn’t name her after Frozen.” It is a beautfiul name, but it is not worth the major reactions we get from people in the store, at the park, at the doctor’s office, etc… It is extremely annoying having to answer for it constantly.
Last edited by spring07; [name_f]October[/name_f] 6th, 2014 at 12:02 AM