Elspeth or Elizabeth?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]? Why?

Thanks!

I prefer just [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], I find [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] rather Renaissance-sounding and it just doesn’t sounds as nice on a 2016 baby in my mind. It’s a perfectly fine name, that’s just my preference. I like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] because it’s sophisticated but comes with many cute nicknames, so it’s always a pleasure to hear.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], by a great deal. It’s classic, beautiful, familiar, has a common spelling, has great nickname options, and ages very well. It’s also so refreshing to hear a baby with such a regal, beautiful name.

[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] looks made up to me (just doesn’t look complete to me?) and just doesn’t sound good. I’m not even sure that I pronounce it right (Ells-peth or Ells-pith?). Honestly, I’m not really familiar with it. That doesn’t mean that it isn’t a nice name, but I guess that I just prefer what is more familiar to me.

1 Like

For me, personally, if I had to name a baby one of those right now, I’d choose [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]. She’s much more snazzy, and unexpected than [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] - which I would use as a middle name (spelt [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f].)

Really though, it depends on the person/family/siblings. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] I see as very classy and traditional, whereas [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] would be for someone who wants something a little more unusual, spunky, and fresh.

1 Like

Ideally an [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] / [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] of mine would be a sibling to [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] and/or [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]. Which do you think fits better in that situation?

I prefer [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f], as long as it’s pronounced [name_f]EL[/name_f]-spith. Maybe I’m biased because it’s similar to my own name, but to me [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] sounds better and looks better. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] doesn’t look as balanced and to me it seems overused, but it’s still a great name. I think [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] works better with [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] and [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] as well.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. Not only is it a classic, beautiful name with so many nickname possibilities but it honors my late sister.

1 Like

I love both, but [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] would have to be my choice. I think it maintains a feisty, vintage image, whilst being nowhere near as popular and expected as [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. Plus I feel like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] might quickly become nicknamed anyway, and I do love a few of the options, but [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] in full or most probable nn [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] beats them all. There’s also something very pleasing and attractive visually about [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] that really appeals to me.

I also prefer [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] with [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] and [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]. It’s both vintage (like [name_f]Rosa[/name_f]) and edgier (like [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]), so compliments them both nicely.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]. I agree with pretty much all of what @carysmarie said… Plus I have a thing for Scottish names. I love [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] with [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] and [name_m]Franklin[/name_m], as they’re all variations on classics. Sweet spunky and fresh trio.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m glad to get the positive feedback on [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] and the set.

That’s a tough one. I think, after much consideration, I’d chose [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]. I just [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the nn [name_f]Elsie[/name_f].

1 Like

I, honestly, might be the only person on [name_f]Earth[/name_f] who doesn’t like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I think it’s overused and I’m tired of it and all the common nicknames ([name_f]Liz[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]). It’s not a bad name at all but I feel there’s nothing you can do with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] that hasn’t been done before in regards to middle name, nickname, etc.

I much prefer [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] which is something I’ve been loving recently! It’s spunky and snazzy, plus would stand out from all the Elizabeths.

1 Like

I love them both, and so it would depend on the middle name.

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] I think it more sharp, strong, and classy. [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] is more mild, soft, and sweet. But they are both elegant and full of history. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], though, is way more common, and that’s where I would tend to lean toward [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]. Also, nn [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] for [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] is darling.

1 Like

Ooh that’s a toughie!

I love [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] - it’s strong, elegant, classic, graceful, and makes for a lovely first and middle name. My only reservation is that I’m not fond of many of the nicknames and insisting on the one I love ([name_f]Lilibet[/name_f] - it was [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]'s childhood nickname!) might get tiresome.

I like [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] a little less, but still think its gorgeous. I know an [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] and she’s beautiful, intelligent, and artistic - qualities I now associate with the name. I’m not sure what nicknames you can get from this though.

As for your names, I think [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] & [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] work well and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] & [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] suit each other.

1 Like

I definitely see where you’re coming from regarding the commonality of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and it’s nicknames. It’s a long time favorite of mine and if I were to use it, she’d definitely be called [name_f]Effy[/name_f] / [name_f]Effie[/name_f]. It’s a bit fresher and has more spunk than [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]'s other nicknames.

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] times a hundred.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] sounds old and dowdy to me.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I find [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] confusing.

1 Like

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]! [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] sounds very odd to me. Almost speech impediment inducing.

1 Like

Taking [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] out of the equation, would you rather see [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] and [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] as siblings?