Emilia vs Amelia

I’ve heard them pronounced the same and I’ve heard them pronounced differently, how do you pronounce [name]Amelia[/name] and [name]Emilia[/name]?
Which do you prefer and why?
Are there any other names similar in sound or feel to [name]Amelia[/name]/[name]Emilia[/name]?

Thanks guys!

I pronounce [name]Amelia[/name] “uh-mee-lee-uh” and [name]Emelia[/name] “eh-mee-lee-uh”. Its a very small difference. I prefer [name]Emelia[/name] because I like “[name]Emmy[/name]”. As far as other names like these how about [name]Adelia[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Aurelia[/name] and [name]Elena[/name]?

I pronounce them the same, but I have one of those Southern accents that doesn’t differentiate a lot of vowel sounds. I really like them both! [name]Amelia[/name] is more sweet, vintage, and classic. [name]Emilia[/name], while still sweet, has a touch of the exotic and unexpected. I think I give a slight edge to [name]Emilia[/name] because its more unusual.

Me too ^. But I prefer [name]Amelia[/name]. I agree it’s more sweet and vintage. I’m sort of tiring of [name]Em[/name]- and [name]El[/name]- names. And personally- I always think of [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Earhart[/name], who was a pretty badass lady and exactly the kind of namesake I’d like my daughter to have. :slight_smile:

Same as pp… I make a small distinction between uh- vs eh-, but it’s barely noticible. I prefer [name]Amelia[/name], I think I just like the look of the name better.

Prn the same. Much prefer [name]Amelia[/name].

I say [name]Amelia[/name] as uh-MEEL-ya and [name]Emilia[/name] as eh-MEE-lee-uh. [name]Amelia[/name] is three syllables, [name]Emilia[/name] is four when I say them. I slightly prefer [name]Emilia[/name], but both are lovely.

I pronounce them almost completely the same with a tiny tiny tiny little bit more emphasis of an E sound with [name]Emilia[/name]. They’re both uh-MEE-lee-ah to me, really.

Anyway, I much prefer [name]Amelia[/name], which was my grandmother’s middle name, and a name I will always have a soft spot for (and most likely use it somewhere if I ever have a daughter). [name]Emilia[/name] looks a lot more trendy (fitting in with the [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Ella[/name] style names). I also think that [name]Amelia[/name] is FAR more timeless, sophisticated and pretty looking/sounding, and it ages well and has a lot of great nicknames.

These are some that either sound similar, or have the same vibes to me:

[name]Amalia[/name] (am-ahl-yah)
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Arianna[/name]
[name]Emmaline[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
Ernabella
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Mila[/name]
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name]

[name]Emilia[/name], I just find it prettier & more exotic. [name]Amelia[/name] is nice but bland and being overused at the moment.

[name]Emilia[/name] - eh-mee-lee-uh
[name]Amelia[/name] - uh-meel-ya

[name]Amalia[/name] is very similar to both!

:slight_smile:

both are lovely. I pretty much say them the same. I love the nicknames [name]Emmey[/name] or [name]Emma[/name] that can pair with [name]Emilia[/name].

My favourite it [name]Amelia[/name] just because I believe it looks prettier. You will find that people will pronounce both exactly the same becaus etheir differences are very small in terms of sound.

I like the look of [name]Amelia[/name] and the inspiration of [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Earhart[/name], but have always thought I would pick the spelling [name]Emilia[/name] thanks to a family tree association: have a great-great-great-grandmother [name]Emilia[/name], born in 1828! :slight_smile:

[name]Emilia[/name] is spanish and as previous posts have stated, is pronounced slightly different. To me, it sounds alot prettier than [name]Amelia[/name]. I love [name]Emilia[/name] but hate [name]Amelia[/name]. The slight difference really makes a difference!