Emmadine?

For ages I have really liked the name Emmadine. I think it is strong and pretty, I like the meaning, but I have one problem.

It’s really rare. Its totally unranked and isn’t even on the nameberry database, which worries me because nameberry seems to have every single name.

It is pronounced emma-deen, not emma-die-n which I worry about also. Is pronounciation too much of an issue?

Really I just want to know your general thoughts on the name Emmadine! TIA.

1 Like

I worked out the pronunciation without the guide (rhymed it with [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] in my head). I do like it but [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is such a common first name, I can see people automatically falling back on that. [name_u]Or[/name_u] I can see people assuming you meant [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] which rhymes when you pronounce it like [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] Pankhurst.

Nice sounds, just unusual like you said.

1 Like

@emelfem

I agree! Although, I don’t mind the name Emma, so its not so much of an issue for me. I do worry about people tracing it to Emmeline, though. Although Emmeline is pretty as well, I do much prefer Emmadine.

Emmadine is so unexpected! I personally find the pronunciation very intuitive - I automatically said “deen” not “dine”. I really like the “deen” sound, but I find the “emma” portion let’s it down a bit because [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is so popular and overused. That said, Emmadine is very fresh beside names like [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], [name_f]Emmalee[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], etc and the usual [name_f]Emma[/name_f] alternatives.

2 Likes

Emmadine is intriguing and pretty. It feels familiar so while it may be unusual, it’s not outlandish

1 Like

I think the pronunciation is very intuitive! My only concern is that people may think that it is made up, or that it isn’t a “legitimate” name.

2 Likes

Nameberry definitely doesn’t have every single name! There are all kinds of spelling variants for names, non-English names, and unique names that just don’t register. I wouldn’t worry so much about that, especially if you love this name!

Emmadine reminds me of Willowdean and the like! Perhaps to get the pronunciation you want, you could consider an Emmadean spelling? Though, for what it’s worth, I pronounced it the way you liked before reading your description.

It’s a cute, spunky name, and I really think you should go for it if you love it so!!! I love the unique take on a simple classic like Emma. :relaxed:

1 Like

I think you’ll get a little girl who goes by [name_f]Em[/name_f] or [name_f]Emma[/name_f], which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I’m a big “Em” fan. I think you will get alternative pronunciations, but if people can understand [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], etc., they can understand Emmadine.

1 Like

thankyou for all the comments, they are proving to be extremely helpful x

1 Like

EMMADINE!!! AHHHHHHHHH so prettttty! Personally I love it. I also love the name [name_f]Emma[/name_f] as it is really close to my heart and Emmadine just makes it so much more majestic. [name_f]Do[/name_f] any of you remember the cow that was shipped to Antartica to be part of that experiment? I do! Emmadine is such a huge part of history. It hurts me that people aren’t using this beautiful name because I think it deserves to be number one. If I ever have kids Emmadine will definitely be in strong consideration. Thank you drops mic

1 Like

its so pretty! i prefer emmaline bc yk, but emmadine is very pretty

1 Like