Emmalyn's Girl Names (aka: one big hot mess) šŸ‘’

Names started to get uninspiring again, so I went through my [name_f]Baby[/name_f] Name Bible and came up with too many names that I kind of enjoy, but am not sure on. To help determine my favorites though, I need the help of my fellow berries. I donā€™t really care what kind of help I receive: Iā€™d love anything! [name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to make a top five, say which ones are most ā€œmeā€, give reasons why or why not you like them, make a love, like, lose, or anything else you can think of. I put the names below with my thoughts on them, but thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

The Names

[name_f]Ada[/name_f]-Sheā€™s been on my list for a while, and I like her, but I donā€™t know, I feel maybe a bit bored of her.
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]-A new love, but is she too harsh sounding?
[name_f]Birdie[/name_f]-I enjoy [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], but I donā€™t know how well sheā€™d age.
[name_f]Camille[/name_f]-Love, especially with the nn [name_f]Millie[/name_f], but thatā€™s my cousinā€™s exact name and nickname.
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]-I feel like sheā€™s a name I should absolutely adore, but is she too simple?
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]-My forever favorite, but see [name_f]Ada[/name_f].
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]-Really adorable, but see [name_f]Birdie[/name_f].
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]-I love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and all of her nicknames, and I could see her on my list, but is she too frilly?
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]-I really like [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], Iā€™m just not super sure.
[name_f]Della[/name_f]-See [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f]-Love [name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f], but could the spelling and pronunciation of [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] be avoided?
[name_f]Evelyn[/name_f]-One of my favorites, but pretty unusable as an [name_f]Emmalyn[/name_f].
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]-See [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]-I adore [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] and the nickname [name_f]Georgie[/name_f], but I just need that extra push.
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]-I always go back and forth on [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], I either need someone to talk me in or out of her.
[name_f]Harper[/name_f]-So lovely, but so popular.
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]-See [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]-An older love, but Iā€™m unsure
[name_f]Joanie[/name_f]-Love, but see [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]-A longtime love, I just need some thoughts on whether or not I should add her
[name_f]June[/name_f]-See [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lacy[/name_f]-I love her for the [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_m]Rodrigo[/name_m] song, but is she too frilly?
Leah/Lia-A new love, Iā€™ve been liking the [name_f]Leah[/name_f] spelling but I want it pronounced like ā€œlee-uhā€. Is [name_f]Lia[/name_f] better for that?
[name_f]Lizzy[/name_f]-For [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f] McAlpine. I love the associations, but Iā€™m debating my love for the actual name.
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-See [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]-See [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]-An older favorite that I still love. I donā€™t feel like I could find any sibling names though.
[name_f]Mayella[/name_f]-A newer love that Iā€™m just unsure about.
[name_f]Melody[/name_f]-One of the only names right now that Iā€™m truly loving, I canā€™t of anything bad.
[name_f]Merit[/name_f]-See [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]-See [name_f]Camille[/name_f], but I think I could pull off just [name_f]Millie[/name_f] as she is an honor name on the other side of my family.
Nora/Norah-See [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]-See [name_f]Mayella[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]-A longtime favorite that I love everything about
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]-See [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]-See [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_m]Royce[/name_m]-I adore [name_m]Royce[/name_m], but does anyone else?
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]-An older love, but see [name_f]Althea[/name_f]
Sarah-Claire-I love her, but she feels so different from my other names in a way.
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f]-I love the feel of [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], but she feels almost to religious for me to use.
[name_f]Sunny[/name_f]-See [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]-I love that she could be [name_f]Sunny[/name_f], but see [name_f]Josephine[/name_f].
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]-An old top favorite that I canā€™t stop thinking about (the longtime berries remember my [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] era)
[name_f]Tillie[/name_f]-Maybe a good [name_f]Millie[/name_f] substitute, but just kinda meh for me.
[name_f]Whitley[/name_f]-I quite enjoy [name_f]Whitley[/name_f], but would she always get [name_f]Whitney[/name_f]?
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]-See [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]-I have a new love for her, but is she an outlier with the rest of my list?

If youā€™ve made it this far, thank you so much! I appreciate any help you can give!

1 Like

Love

Althea
Birdie
Clementine
Cordelia
Delilah
Flora
Georgia
Hazel
June
Magnolia
Merit
Pearl
Rosalie
Sunday
Sunny

:sunny::two_hearts::tulip:šŸŖ»šŸŖ»:blossom::cherry_blossom::ocean:

1 Like

love
[name_f]Althea[/name_f] - I donā€™t find her too harsh, and I like that she has the -ea sound that you want from [name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] - I think that if you like her nicknames, it doesnā€™t really matter how frilly she is. if she wants a frilly name, she can go by [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], but if that doesnā€™t fit, she can go by any nickname and youā€™d be happy with that
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f] - another massive [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] fan here. lyrical but spunky
[name_f]Della[/name_f] - feels a lot like [name_f]Ada[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] to me! could be a great start to exploring new names, plus would make a beautiful sister to your longtime faves if you come back to them
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] - I really like [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] and [name_f]Georgie[/name_f]! itā€™s not my typical style but used to come and go when my list leaned more vintage back in like 2016. itā€™s a great blend of classic and unusual, since the sounds in it are quite unique. again, would fit wonderfully with your other faves if you come back to them
[name_f]June[/name_f] - see [name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f] - my sister spells her name like this and pronounces it how you like. ive known a few and theyā€™ve always been the same, however my sister occasionally gets people who call her ā€œleeā€ for some reason
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] - from this list, I would love to see [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] as a sister to [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], and [name_f]Willa[/name_f]!
[name_f]Nora[/name_f] / [name_f]Norah[/name_f] - see [name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] - see [name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] - seems perfect to me!
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f] / [name_f]Sunny[/name_f] - im absolutely obsessed with the idea of sisters [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] ā€œMaggieā€ and [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] ā€œSunnyā€
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] - see [name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] - the video game might be a concern, but I still find it to be a lovely vintage pick with a touch of witchiness

[name_f]Ada[/name_f] - so im of the opinion that change is healthy. thereā€™s that phrase about ā€œif you love something, set it freeā€ and I think that can apply to names. if youā€™re bored of a name, I vote to try out something else, so all of your ā€œive liked the name for a while but now im not sureā€ names are going to go here. donā€™t get rid of them but maybe explore other options right now
[name_f]Birdie[/name_f] - she wonā€™t be the only Birdie; all of them will become adults and the name will age just fine
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - see [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f] - I like it for others, but I find it a bit clunky to say
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - my least favorite of the -ora brand of names, not entirely sure why, but itā€™s fine for others
[name_f]Harper[/name_f] - itā€™s not for me, but I like it for other people. I donā€™t think the popularity is going anywhere though, I have a couple friends who have mentioned they like the name
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] - see [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] - see [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanie[/name_f] - see [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] - not my style, but I like the nickname options
[name_f]Lacy[/name_f] - I love the [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_m]Rodrigo[/name_m] song too. I find [name_f]Lacy[/name_f] as a name to be a bit dated
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] - im quite neutral about this name. itā€™s fine, I like the meaning, the sound is okay, and itā€™s not that itā€™s lackluster, I just donā€™t feel very strongly for or against it
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - see [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Mayella[/name_f] - too To Kill a Mockingbird to me but I see the appeal
[name_f]Melody[/name_f] - I find it to be a bit dated, but donā€™t let that sway you
[name_f]Merit[/name_f] - I love this name, both the sound and the meaning, but it doesnā€™t really fit with the others on your list imo. but thatā€™s not necessarily a bad thing
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] - I love the namesake in [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] [name_m]Quimby[/name_m]! the sound doesnā€™t appeal to me but I love the nickname options (minus [name_f]Mona[/name_f], since thatā€™s the sound that doesnā€™t appeal)
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] - [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] feels a lot like [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] to me!
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] - personally, im over this name because itā€™s the equivalent of [name_f]Karen[/name_f] in [name_f]France[/name_f] (plus, I lived with one when I was there who was absolutely a Karenā€¦) but thatā€™s entirely my opinion and the name has a nice sound and a lot of love in the US

lose
[name_f]Camille[/name_f] / [name_f]Millie[/name_f] - granted I donā€™t know how big or how close your family is. I have two cousins so using one of their names is completely out of the question for me. but exact name and nickname feels a little strange, and cousin is a close enough relative that id think it was a direct honor for her
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] - I do find this name to be quite simple and basic. classic, nonetheless, but it lacks spunk or substance for me. itā€™s also my middle name and I donā€™t care for it one bit for myself so that might factor in my feelings
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] - I donā€™t like this name at all but mostly because I canā€™t help but get the song stuck in my head when I hear it
[name_f]Evelyn[/name_f] - unfortunately, I do think this is a little strange to use given your own name. an exception could be made if a) you or her exclusively go by a nickname, or b) you use it as a direct honor for yourself
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] - the ā€œgwā€ sound is just very awkward for me. thereā€™s nothing wrong with the name, itā€™s just an odd sound that isnā€™t appealing to me
[name_f]Lizzy[/name_f] - when I have feelings like this for a name, I save it for a character! or a petā€¦
[name_m]Royce[/name_m] - I donā€™t think I have a speech impedimentā€¦ until I try to say this name. idk, itā€™s something about the ā€œroyā€ sound. I donā€™t like it because im pretty sure I sound ridiculous trying to say it
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - I much prefer [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f] or just Ru
Sarah-Claire - the flow here is off for me because the names almost rhyme in my accent (Sarah and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] rhyme exactly when I say them)
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f] - I would automatically assume that the parent of a [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] was super religious. however, I think as a full name for [name_f]Sunny[/name_f], it could be possible
[name_f]Tillie[/name_f] - I love it, and prefer it to [name_f]Millie[/name_f] (itā€™s got more spunk and liveliness), but if itā€™s meh to you, drop it
[name_f]Whitley[/name_f] - I like the sound but I did misread it as [name_f]Whitney[/name_f] at first

Here are my top five that I love for you!

[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] - thereā€™s a senior at my school named [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] ā€œClemmieā€ who wears her name so well. Like, she could not be named anything else. There are butterflies and flowers embroidered on her school kilt, sheā€™s always got a ribbon in her hair, sheā€™s super friendly and has tons of friends, and is always running to class. Sheā€™s who I think of when I hear [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], so I think the name ages well!

[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] - oh I love her, in general and for you! I think she fits perfectly on your list. Vibes are warm [name_f]July[/name_f] afternoons, lemonade stands with all the neighborhood kids, light blue overalls, sun-kissed freckles, ice cream from the ice cream truck, listening to the Beatles on a record player, and candy from the five and dime. :sunny::roller_skate::icecream::notes::cherry_blossom::lollipop:

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] - I donā€™t think sheā€™s to frilly! Princessy, feminine, and elegant, yes, but not too frilly! But if you think [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] as a full could be too much for day to day life, I think the nn [name_f]Cora[/name_f] really helps bring her down to earth too. A [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] ā€œCoraā€ is a hardworking, intelligent young girl who does well in school, loves to read, enjoys playing with her little siblings, likes to bake with her mom, and has a secret inner dream world. She loves fairytales, princess movies and pirate stories, and dreams of castles on hills and magical fairy godmothers.

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] - I loveee [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]! To me sheā€™s cool ice tea on a warm day, small town summers, a bouquet of wildflowers in a wicker bike basket, favorite books read over and over again, grass stained floral dresses, and running barefoot through the grass.
To me Magnoliaā€™s really versatile and I actually think she works really well with a lot of the names on your list. Some I really like areā€¦
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] & [name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] & [name_f]Mayella[/name_f] (how cute would these be as twins? [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] and May?! :face_holding_back_tears:)
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] & [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] & [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] (Nolie and Georgie?!)
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] & [name_f]June[/name_f] (so summery and southern vintage together! Love!!)

[name_f]Delilah[/name_f] - I love her! I think of the song ā€œHey There Delilahā€. I really love the way [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] sounds when I say it too, so melodic and enchanting! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] nn [name_f]Della[/name_f]? That would combine two names on your list.

And here are some more thoughts on some of your namesā€¦

Camille/Millie - I think [name_f]Camille[/name_f] ā€œMillieā€ wouldnā€™t work in practice, as itā€™s a cousins name (though it does depend on your closeness with that cousin/side of the family) but perhaps you could get away with just [name_f]Millie[/name_f]. Maybe [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] ā€œMillieā€ or [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] ā€œMillieā€ ? If youā€™re thinking of [name_f]Millie[/name_f] substitutes, I really like [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] ā€œTillyā€ for you. Actually, [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] ā€œMillieā€ works as well!

[name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f] - these all feel very you, but like @SparkleNinja18 said, Iā€™d recommend taking a break from them if youā€™re feeling bored of them, so in a couple weeks or so you can look at them with fresh eyes and be able to really decide whether or not you still actually like them!

[name_f]June[/name_f] - I really like her for you, especially with a lot of your older loves! For some reason Iā€™m also feeling [name_f]Juniper[/name_f] ā€œJuneā€ for you?

[name_f]Joanie[/name_f], [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], [name_f]Sunny[/name_f] - these will age fine, imo! I know adult Sunnys, and [name_f]Joanie[/name_f] and [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] are both vintage names so there have been plenty of teen/adult/old lady Joanies and Birdies who have done just fine.

[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], but I actually had similar concerns about her being to ā€œharsh.ā€ Objectively, I know sheā€™s not, but she didnā€™t feel quite right for my list, and I replaced her with Ruthanna. Perhaps you might like her as an alternative, too? I also like ā€œjustā€ [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f] for you as well.

1 Like

[name_f]Ada[/name_f] ā†’ warm and vintage but similar to popular [name_f]Ava[/name_f]. I have been thinking of [name_f]Adamarie[/name_f] and [name_f]Adamary[/name_f] lately?

[name_f]Althea[/name_f] ā†’ bright and floral feeling - I donā€™t find it harsh

[name_f]Birdie[/name_f] ā†’ cute, sassy and warm; in a world of Millies, Teddys, Bonnies and Josies, [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] wonā€™t feel out of place. [name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] ā€˜Birdieā€™?

[name_f]Camille[/name_f] ā†’ sweet, sleek and gentle. I do like it, but maybe as a middle?

[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] ā†’ strong and elegant with plenty of nickname options but I donā€™t find it exciting. You could consider [name_f]Coralie[/name_f] maybe?

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] ā†’ bright, clear and pretty - maybe give her a break, but donā€™t write her off

[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] ā†’ gorgeous and elegant and cheerful but a bit of playfulness too - with [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] all working, I think [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] fits in.

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] ā†’ strong and literary with a nice meaning. I donā€™t find it too frilly personally! [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] could be a clunky-cool alternative?

[name_f]Delilah[/name_f] ā†’ bright, sweet and full of energy

[name_f]Della[/name_f] ā†’ warm and sunny and fresh. I like it!

[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f] ā†’ warm and cosy and cool. I do think it could be misspelled as [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f], but I think both spellings are unfamiliar enough that they could get misspelled as each other?

[name_f]Evelyn[/name_f] ā†’ itā€™s nice but youā€™ve got lots of other great options since it is so close to your name

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] ā†’ sweet but strong, literary with both vintage charm and freshness.

[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] ā†’ warm and strong, with a hint of timelessness. I like the nickname [name_f]Georgie[/name_f] too

[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] ā†’ itā€™s got a hint of style and a hint of fairytale / mystical vibes

[name_f]Harper[/name_f] ā†’ it is lovely in sound, but yes, very popular. [name_f]Fifer[/name_f], [name_f]Darby[/name_f], [name_m]Spencer[/name_m], and [name_f]Hesper[/name_f] came to mind

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] ā†’ zippy and charming. Like with [name_f]Clara[/name_f] + [name_f]Ada[/name_f], maybe give it a break, but donā€™t dismiss it entirely

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] ā†’ sharp, sassy and confident,

[name_f]Joanie[/name_f] ā†’ love [name_f]Joanie[/name_f] - love the sounds, musical vibes and quirkiness. I think the sounds are solid enough and there have been enough ā€˜adultā€™ Joanieā€™s / Joniā€™s that it could work.

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] ā†’ elegant, sleek and literary - Iā€™d say add it - plus, [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Joanie[/name_f] / [name_f]Joni[/name_f]?

[name_f]June[/name_f] ā†’ summery but grounded

[name_f]Lacy[/name_f] ā†’ fun and pretty, with a hint of sharpness too. I donā€™t find it too frilly, more sassy and confident (but could also be sweet)

[name_f]Leah[/name_f] / [name_f]Lia[/name_f] ā†’ Iā€™d pronounce both of these as lee-uh, and where I am, [name_f]Leah[/name_f] would be the go to for that pronunciation. Iā€™d go with [name_f]Leah[/name_f] if you like it best

[name_f]Lizzy[/name_f] ā†’ fun and zippy but versatile. Maybe try making some [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f] combos to see if it sticks? [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f] [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]?

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] ā†’ light, bright, strong and lovely

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] ā†’ love [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], warm and cosy with a great meaning. Again, maybe put it aside for the moment and come back to it?

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] ā†’ I like the floral, flowy, sunny feel. [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], [name_f]Nola[/name_f], [name_f]Mallie[/name_f], [name_f]Mags[/name_f], [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] and [name_f]Mia[/name_f] could be more versatile nicknames? Of your list, [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Althea[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] etc could all work!

[name_f]Mayella[/name_f] ā†’ itā€™s got flair and freshness - I do wonder if people might think of To Kill a Mockingbird (not necessarily bad, just to consider)

[name_f]Melody[/name_f] ā†’ perfect for you (and a lovely name in general)

[name_f]Merit[/name_f] ā†’ snappy and cool

[name_f]Millie[/name_f] ā†’ itā€™s sweet and familiar and since you feel like it works, sure!

[name_f]Nora[/name_f] ā†’ cute but tough round the edges. Iā€™d add it

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] ā†’ love [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] - vintage charm but fresh and sparkly too

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] ā†’ playful and bubbly but versatile too

[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] ā†’ itā€™s got edge and spark

[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] ā†’ sweet, melodic and elegant

[name_m]Royce[/name_m] ā†’ itā€™s really grown on me; cool and unexpected

[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] ā†’ I do find it a bit harsh if Iā€™m honest :person_shrugging:

Sarah-Claire ā†’ unexpected and interesting, however, I only enjoy them together, not separately - and she could just end up [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]?

[name_f]Sunday[/name_f] ā†’ I just associate it as sunny, days off and contemporary vibes. It doesnā€™t feel overly religious to me, but I guess it depends on those around you/your associations.

[name_f]Sunny[/name_f] ā†’ Iā€™ve known a [name_f]Sunny[/name_f] and she wore it well - I like it

[name_f]Susannah[/name_f] ā†’ that feels like a good compromise - itā€™s got flair and sass

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] ā†’ sleek and sharp

[name_f]Tillie[/name_f] ā†’ if youā€™re meh about it, Iā€™d cut it. I like [name_f]Tillie[/name_f] though

[name_f]Whitley[/name_f] ā†’ itā€™s cool and distinctive - I feel like ā€˜leyā€™ names are in and [name_f]Whitney[/name_f] is kind of out, so she might be alright?

[name_f]Willa[/name_f] ā†’ literary and carefree, but again, maybe give it a break for a bit

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] ā†’ I think [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] could fit - gives me similar vibes to [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], [name_f]June[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f], [name_f]Althea[/name_f]?

1 Like

[name_f]Love[/name_f]: [name_f]Althea[/name_f], [name_f]Della[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]June[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Joanie[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Lacy[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_f]Melody[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], [name_f]Mayella[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
Like: [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f], [name_f]Harper[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f], [name_f]Merit[/name_f], [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], [name_f]Whitley[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_m]Royce[/name_m], Sarah-Claire
Lose: [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], [name_f]Sunny[/name_f], [name_f]Camille[/name_f], [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], [name_f]Evelyn[/name_f], [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], [name_f]Tillie[/name_f]

my thoughts on each

[name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f]: I like all of these! So short and sweet and fresh, but maintaining a classic feel as well. However, I definitely think that there is a time and a place to let go of a name if you donā€™t truly love it anymore. Maybe your style has changed!
[name_f]Althea[/name_f] & [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]: I wouldnā€™t classify the sound as harsh, but rather strong! [name_f]Althea[/name_f] is gorgeous and gives me warrior princess vibes.
[name_f]Birdie[/name_f] & [name_f]Sunny[/name_f]: These are cute, but I think maybe too cute for my tastes; I canā€™t picture her on a grown woman. Maybe as a middle name or nickname?
[name_f]Camille[/name_f] / [name_f]Millie[/name_f]: Depending on how close you are to this cousin, using this as a fn might be a little bit much. Maybe use it as a middle name instead? [name_f]Millie[/name_f] by itself could work, or as a nickname for [name_f]Mildred[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], or [name_f]Millicent[/name_f].
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]: I donā€™t think [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] is too simple at all! Sheā€™s literary and classic, and feels homey and comforting.
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]: I donā€™t find this a childish name at all, but maybe thatā€™s just because Iā€™ve met grown Clementineā€™s who carry the name so well.
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]: I adore [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]! I donā€™t think sheā€™s too frilly at all, especially because of all the nickname possibilities that could make the name more casual.
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]: Not my style, but I can see the appeal. For me, the meaning and the Bible story stop me from loving it.
[name_f]Della[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]June[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f]: I love these names! I think they could be great alternatives to [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] or [name_f]Willa[/name_f], since theyā€™re slightly less popular but have the same lovely vintage charm.
[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f]: Not my style, but I definitely think the spelling and pronunciation wouldnā€™t be a problem ā€“ a simple correction could fix that.
[name_f]Evelyn[/name_f]: A pretty name, but maybe a bit much since itā€™s so close to your name.
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]: I prefer the alternatives of [name_f]Gwenna[/name_f], Gwenrose, [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f], or [name_f]Gwendolin[/name_f] personally.
[name_f]Harper[/name_f]: Donā€™t let popularity stop you from using a name you love! [name_f]Harper[/name_f] is so spunky and fun.
[name_f]Joanie[/name_f]: This has been growing on me recently ā€“ so much charm and has a vintage feel. I think it would age okay, and worse case she could always go by [name_f]Joan[/name_f] when sheā€™s older.
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] & [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]: Another gorgeous name ā€“ literary, classic, with so many nicknames!
[name_f]Lacy[/name_f]: Not too frilly at all. I love the personal connection, and this name is so lovely and underrated
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]: Iā€™ve always pronounced this as ā€œlee-uhā€
[name_f]Lizzy[/name_f]: I have a personal association that has ruined this name for me, but I can still see the charm!
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]: I love this name! Siblings could be [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], [name_f]Tess[/name_f] / [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], or many others.
[name_f]Mayella[/name_f]: Very pretty! I love [name_f]May[/name_f], and I love [name_f]Ella[/name_f], so putting them together is perfection.
[name_f]Melody[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] & [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]: [name_f]Love[/name_f] them!
[name_f]Merit[/name_f]: Not my style, but I love the meaning.
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]: One of my favorite ā€œRoseā€ variants, with so many great nicknames!
[name_m]Royce[/name_m]: [name_m]Royce[/name_m] has been growing on me recently ā€“ I like the sound!
Sarah-Claire & [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]: I donā€™t think she feels out of place at all, theyā€™re both zippy and vintage like your other names.
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f]: Trendy enough these days where I donā€™t think itā€™s too religious. Nickname [name_f]Sunny[/name_f] is cute!
[name_f]Tillie[/name_f]: If you donā€™t love it, donā€™t use it! [name_f]Imo[/name_f], [name_f]Millie[/name_f] could be a nickname for [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] instead!
[name_f]Whitley[/name_f]: I adore [name_f]Whitney[/name_f], but I think I love [name_f]Whitley[/name_f] even better!

1 Like

Top 5 faves:
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Sunny[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
Least faves:
[name_f]Birdie[/name_f]
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_m]Royce[/name_m]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]

Thereā€™s many lovely names :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Iā€™m going to separate them into love, like, lose piles & then pick my top 5. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] it helps :blush:

[name_f]Love[/name_f]:
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lacy[/name_f]
[name_f]Melody[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f]
[name_f]Tillie[/name_f]

Like:
[name_f]Birdie[/name_f]
[name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Harper[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f] / [name_f]Lia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mayella[/name_f]
[name_f]Merit[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_m]Royce[/name_m]
Sarah-Claire
[name_f]Sunny[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Whitney[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]

Lose:
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]June[/name_f]
[name_f]Lizzy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
Nora(h)
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]

[name_f]My[/name_f] top 5:
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanie[/name_f] (although I prefer the [name_f]Joni[/name_f] spelling)
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f]

Top five favorites:

[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]

Least five favorites:

[name_f]Harper[/name_f]
[name_f]Lizzy[/name_f]
[name_f]Merit[/name_f]
[name_m]Royce[/name_m]
[name_f]Whitley[/name_f]

1 Like

I love [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]June[/name_f], Millie!! In fact the ones you seem the least certain about I think are my favorites! Maybe Iā€™m biased, but I love a good, classic, feminine name. I think they are very well, too.

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] is my forever favorite. [name_f]Pretty[/name_f] sure Iā€™ll name my daughter that if I ever have one :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Ugh, I love your names so much!

[name_f]My[/name_f] personal favorites are:

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] *
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]June[/name_f] *
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] *
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] *
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Della[/name_f] *
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] *
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] *
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] *

I starred the ones that I love the most for you in particular!

And my favorites for you (other than the ones above) are:

[name_f]Birdie[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanie[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Merit[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f]

So sorry, I literally just named almost all of your list! This probably wasnā€™t helpful in the least. :joy:

If it helps, I chose these particular names because they encapsulate the vibe/style of your list the best ā€“ a little quirky, a little vintage, spunky, slightly unisex-feeling, not too grandiose but still very and sweet and fun. [name_f]Judy[/name_f] Blume/Beverly [name_m]Cleary[/name_m] character sort of names.

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna do love :heart: Like :white_check_mark: Lose :-1:

:heart:

[name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
Sarah-Claire
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]

:white_check_mark:

[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Norah[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Tillie[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]

:-1:

[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Birdie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Harper[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanie[/name_f]
[name_f]June[/name_f]
[name_f]Lacy[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lizzy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Mayella[/name_f]
[name_f]Melody[/name_f]
[name_f]Merit[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_m]Royce[/name_m]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Sunny[/name_f]
[name_f]Whitley[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]

The names that I really love most for you are:

Sarah-Claire: Iā€™m really, really obsessed with sweet Sarah-Claire! The double barrel is so clunky and cute- I picture a spunky yet slightly shy girl, kind of a retro, best-friend-next-door vibe. Being a newer addition to your list, she just shines, and I think she fits with your other names so well- I canā€™t pinpoint exactly whyā€¦She just works!! I love this one and vote to keep!

[name_f]Melody[/name_f]: Obviously, this one is a keeper considering you still love her and have no cons! Sheā€™s bright, fun, feisty, and musical, and I love that you love her as sheā€™s so under-appreciated!

[name_m]Royce[/name_m]: If you adore her, keep her! There are definitely a group of [name_m]Royce[/name_m] lovers on Nameberry- including myself! She has an adorably cheeky feel, is super adorable (I especially like her paired with a more classic name to balance her out; [name_m]Royce[/name_m] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] [name_m]Royce[/name_m] for example.)

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]: Again, if your love for her is still strong- she should stay on your list! I love her bright, sunny sound :sunflower:

[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] ā€œGeorgieā€: This one is totally adorable! She has such a fun sound and matches amazingly with your other names. Sheā€™s timeless, but with a super peppery, livley feel that sets her a little apart from other classics. Plus, [name_f]Georgie[/name_f] is plain adorable. [name_f]Imagine[/name_f] a little [name_f]Georgie[/name_f] with pig-tails and an overall dress, playing in mud puddles and making silly faces? SO cute!!

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]: I love the lyrical sound of [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. Sheā€™s warm and honey-like and musical while still have a bit of sharpness from the V- sheā€™s a keeper!

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]: She fits with your list!! [name_m]Bright[/name_m], rainbow loving, quirky, artistic [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] is a perfect match with other names of yours (think of [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]June[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f], [name_f]Melody[/name_f], [name_f]Merit[/name_f], Royceā€¦Sheā€™s a great sister name to all these girls!) Keep!

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]: I think this name is so lovely, and should be on your list even if you canā€™t find sibling names for her as that doesnā€™t seem like much of a deal breaker to me! (However, I think that [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] & [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] & [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] & [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], and [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] & [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] are really sweet together!!) Sheā€™s got a cool southern belle flair to her, as well as being a very pretty flower!!

[name_f]Mayella[/name_f]: Such a sweet vintage smush name! I love how she has a touch of clunkiness from the double barrel feel, but because both [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f] are such soft names, the over all effect is quite dainty! [name_f]Mayella[/name_f] reminds me of raspberry jam and daisy chains! So springy and soft!

Ones Iā€™m not so keen on:

[name_f]Harper[/name_f]: I feel like sheā€™s a bit different from your other names- more surnamey and a bit harsher? I totally get the appeal but Iā€™m just not sure on how she fits with your other girls, and I agree that she is quite popular.

[name_f]Lia[/name_f]: I personally like [name_f]Leah[/name_f] way better! (I pronounce both these names the same LEE-uh, I just like the way [name_f]Leah[/name_f] looks more.) So I think you should keep [name_f]Leah[/name_f] and leave [name_f]Lia[/name_f].

[name_f]Lacy[/name_f]: She feels slightly dated to me for some reason, and I think she has a bit too much frilliness, in sort of a cliche way. Not sure why sheā€™s not clicking for me- I think Iā€™m just liking other similar names on your list (Lucy, [name_f]Leah[/name_f], Lizzy) more. Itā€™s cool that she has a connection to song you like though-that alone might be worth keeping her! Itā€™s just the name itself Iā€™m not crazy about.

[name_f]Millie[/name_f]: I know you were mentioning concerns about how well certain names would age (like [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], and Joanie) but out of all of these I actually think [name_f]Millie[/name_f] is the most difficult to picture on an older person, for me, while the others are all fine in my opinion. [name_f]Millie[/name_f] just seems a tiny bit too nicknamey for a full name, plus you already have her as a nickname for [name_f]Camille[/name_f] which I like better.

[name_f]Whitley[/name_f]: I think this would get confused for [name_f]Whitney[/name_f], and I think I actually prefer [name_f]Whitney[/name_f]! [name_f]Whitley[/name_f] seems a little made up to me. However, I think she does have a cool factor- kind of a rock star name, and the nickname [name_m]Whit[/name_m] is cute.

All the ones I didnā€™t mention I still really, really like for you! The favourites listed above are only my top choices- I still love the others! [name_m]Worth[/name_m] mentioning that I also think [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_f]Joanie[/name_f], and [name_f]Sunny[/name_f] would age fine!

I think that something you should think about is what exactly the purpose of these names are. If you are wanting only names that you would realistically consider for a future child, then I would rule out any ones that you are questioning the usability of (for example, [name_f]Camille[/name_f] because of your cousin, [name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f] because of spelling and pronunciation issues, etc)
Otherwise, if these are names that you are going to play around with, make combos with, use around Nameberry and such, then I donā€™t think any of the above issues are a problem. I mean, [name_f]Camille[/name_f] is cute, and could be fun honour for your cousin! In real life, would it be the best choice to use her exact name and nickname? Maybe not, but that doesnā€™t mean that you canā€™t have the name on your list and use her in combos just for fun!

Anyway, love your list in general. You have such a cool, unique style and I love seeing you talk about such under-rated gems! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

Your whole list ranked from my fave to least fave with a few additional comments on the side:
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] (Phoebe and [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] are perfect sister names :heart_eyes:)
[name_f]Birdie[/name_f] (I think this can work as a standalone but I agree that it does feel a bit cute and might be better as a nn. There are lots of great full name options Iā€™ve seen including [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] so maybe it would work for Elsbeth?)
[name_f]Melody[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] (your list is pretty eclectic in general and I actually think [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] fits perfectly, it bridges the gap between some of more classic vs quirky picks)
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lizzy[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] (the name itself isnā€™t simple to me, its very elegant and beautiful, but I see what you mean. I think it might be that the vibes are a bit more calm and simple, like the imagery is closer to ā€œgirl next doorā€ than ā€œregal queenā€ if that makes sense)
[name_f]Lia[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f] (it might vary by location but in my area this would almost always be pronounced the way you want)
[name_f]Tillie[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Harper[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
Sarah-Claire
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelyn[/name_f] (this does feel a bit too close to your name)
[name_f]Althea[/name_f] (Anthea might feel a bit gentler?)
[name_f]Millie[/name_f] (this seems a bit more usable for you than [name_f]Camille[/name_f] nn [name_f]Millie[/name_f] but Iā€™d still be hesitant)
[name_f]Camille[/name_f] (this feels pretty unusable for you unless your cousin lives really far away and youā€™ve only met once but even then I still probably wouldnā€™t. I feel your pain, a bunch of my cousins have gorgeous names that I wish I could use)
[name_f]Lacy[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Whitley[/name_f] (I went to school with 2 Whitleys and I think they did have an occasional [name_f]Whitney[/name_f] mix up but maybe not to the point of a daily struggle?)
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] (this doesnā€™t feel harsh to me but I do occasinally struggle to say it and end up with ā€œroofā€)
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Joanie[/name_f] (this does feel a bit nickname-y but not unusably so)
[name_f]June[/name_f]
[name_f]Norah[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f] (this might be difficult for people to hear correctly since its similar to other names and uncommon but since [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] is also pretty uncommon I think sheā€™d be more likely to be asked to repeat herself than have people automatically assume she said Elspeth)
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] (I think this works well with [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] on your list)
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f] (I hadnā€™t thought of the religious connection but now that you mention it I agree, it does kind of come across as a religious choice. Maybe it would work better as a middle?)
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Merit[/name_f] (this could grow on me but I like other stuff on your list much more)
[name_f]Sunny[/name_f] (this does feel too nicknamey to work as a full name, but [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] nn [name_f]Sunny[/name_f] is :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:)
[name_m]Royce[/name_m] (I donā€™t hate this, the Rolls [name_m]Royce[/name_m] brand is the only potential downside I can think of, but it is very much not my style)
[name_f]Mayella[/name_f]