Ender?

Hi all,

I made a post a month ago trying to decide on a middle name for Theodore. We kept going back to Ender, but it doesn’t flow. We then got our hearts set on Ender Theodore (surname). It flows beautifully and we love the sound of it. We DO NOT like Theodore Ender; it sounds clunky when said with the surname. Having Theodore in the middle breaks it up nicely. And Ender goes very very well with the surname. The name together means “[a] very rare gift from God” which makes our hearts sing. We’re still planning on people calling the baby Theo, as family is already used to it and we’re ok with that (we will call him Ender). We don’t love the popularity of Theodore for a first name, and also acknowledge that if baby doesn’t like it as he gets older, he can change it very easily (many people in our immediate family have had legal name changes).

I’ve told 3 friends the name, and all three kind of gave a weird response, with only one coming around saying it was “growing” on them and that they liked it. One said he didn’t love the Ender’s Game association (something we’ve never heard of) and the other compared to enderman in MineCraft lol. We aren’t worried about the associations and do believe that kids will find a way to bully others no matter what they’re called (for example: I’m super into criminology and have always studied cases and such, and someone pointed out Ted Bundy’s real name is Theodore, so I shouldn’t name my child that due to the association, which I think is ridiculous, honestly).

Baby is due very soon and I want to order some personalised sweaters and such. I know it ultimately comes down to “parents decide the name and everyone else sucks it up” but do you really think Ender is that bad? Truly? It just makes my heart flutter and it’s a name we’ve both agreed on and love. Ugh.

Also, Theodore doesn’t go well with our surname whatsoever. So much so, we considered giving him a different family name if we couldn’t decide on something else lol.

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated!

(Edited to add some more info / correct some original text!)

1 Like

[name_m]Ender[/name_m] means “very rare” in Turkish, which is a wonderful meaning, indeed. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any connection with Turkey? If you do, that’s a bonus point and may help others understand your choice. If not, that’s okay too.

[name_f]English[/name_f] is not my first language, but when I see [name_m]Ender[/name_m], I see end + er, in my head, [name_m]Ender[/name_m] would be someone who ends something. If this sounds stupid or if this just happens in my head, please ignore me!!

[name_m]Ender[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] flows well. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is a magnificent classic choice! If you are still going to call him [name_m]Theo[/name_m], I would still try to use [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] as a first name. However, if you want to switch between [name_m]Ender[/name_m], [name_m]Theo[/name_m] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], then [name_m]Ender[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is the best choice for you!

I think you may like [name_m]Eder[/name_m] too.

Of course, just like you say, it is your baby boy, and you must admire, love, and be proud of his name! You and your partner are the ones that can decide the best name for your son. The best choice that complements your family!
No matter what everyone says now, after your son is born, your friends and family will get used to your baby’s name. After a while, I believe they will stop associating his name with games or any other things that may occur.

Good luck with everything! :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

I think [name_m]Ender[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is adorable!

@/estrela says it best:

2 Likes

[name_m]Ender[/name_m] is distinctive and powerful, with an undertone of gentleness and magic. I quite like it, and I do think people would come round to it, if you were to actually use it

1 Like

I really like it & let’s be fair anything outside of ‘traditional’ names will always be considered ‘weird/unusual to some people.

I know of a little boy called [name_m]Cooper[/name_m] & while I consider it a really well known name, especially these days, others responded as if she just named her child the C word saying how shocking it was :joy:

If you love the name use it, ignore everyone else. He’s your child not theirs.

1 Like

I’m a little conflicted!

I’m familiar with both the Ender’s Game & Minecraft associations, but even then my first thought was unrelated, that it just sounds kind of… violent, and ominous? [name_m]Ender[/name_m] makes me think of “someone who ends things” and it just has a bit of a weird energy to me. That said, the sound is nice and on-trend and it definitely works!

I also don’t really get the idea of naming him [name_m]Ender[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] with the intention of calling him [name_m]Theo[/name_m] – it’s definitely not impossible to make it work, but it seems like unnecessarily overcomplicating things. I think I’d rather have my middle name sound a little clunky with my last name, than have to explain that I go by my middle name’s nickname – it feels like less of an issue, since middle names don’t come up all that often.

3 Likes

@tallemaja same.

It’s more that some people already call him [name_m]Theo[/name_m] and that doesn’t bother us, but we would call him [name_m]Ender[/name_m] :slight_smile:

I do think [name_m]Ender[/name_m] can sound a bit “ominous”, I think it sounds a bit dark and mystical which really suits the names in our immediate family. And yes, I have heard a couple of people suggest it sounds like “the ender of something” but it doesn’t immediately cross our minds.

Names are so tricky! I appreciate your feedback a lot!!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback! I’ve heard a couple of people suggest the “ender of things” context, but nobody in person so far. It did cross my mind, but the overall meaning of the name saves it for me. We will be calling him [name_m]Ender[/name_m], but I know some family (especially my grandparents) will call him [name_m]Theo[/name_m] as it is more suitable for them, and we are ok with that! I also like that he has [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] as an option to use as a name if he grows to dislike [name_m]Ender[/name_m] himself.

Thank you so much! We are so excited for our son. <3

1 Like

I think [name_m]Ender[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] sounds amazing together while also being a good balance of edgy and classic!

[name_f]My[/name_f] first association to the name is [name_f]Halsey[/name_f] naming her son [name_m]Ender[/name_m] [name_m]Ridley[/name_m]. I also never would’ve made the Ender’s Game association either and it’s like you said, bullies will find a way to bully no matter what the name is. (Also off topic but I love the name [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] too and my grandpa’s name was [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and had [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] as a combo I loved until I found out [name_m]Ted[/name_m] Bundy’s middle name is [name_m]Robert[/name_m] so I’ve scratched that combo off my list)

Anywho, when the baby comes just remember no matter what you choose to name him your family and friends will love him and will grow to love his name because they will have the positive association of him to the name

Neither [name_m]Ender[/name_m] or [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] are offensive names, you love them both and they also have a super special meaning together that not everyone gets the chance to have when naming their kid

1 Like

Oh, what a lovely comment! Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback!

1 Like

Well, I mentioned it, but I don’t think it is a bad connotation either. You can interpret “the ender of things” as someone who accomplishes their goals and objectives! The “ender of things” can be someone who is able to conclude any tasks or even a person that solves any mishaps/challenges that he cames across with in his life!

[name_m]Ender[/name_m] sounds modern, unique and cool!
It reminds me of other familiar choices like [name_m]Parker[/name_m], [name_m]Archer[/name_m] and [name_m]Cooper[/name_m].

I understand that! It is so nice of you to consider your grandparents perspective and give them the option to call your baby [name_m]Theo[/name_m] :blush: In that case, taking in consideration all you said, I truly believe [name_m]Ender[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is perfect for you!

To me, this just says all! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

A few assorted thoughts:

• I am not familiar with Ender. My mild feeling is it will likely invite some teasing along the lines of “rear-ender” or even more puerile (butt jokes) so if at least be ready for something like that happening. Same for all the scary, ominous ideas like, “end her”, “the ending of life” etc.
  • I wonder if Xander, Anders, Evander, Evren (also a beautiful meaning) Thatcher, Edmund (maybe Thatcher Owen or Edmund Owen nn Theo) could be as appealing as options?
  • I think Evren Theodore would be amazing!
  • Or could you call him Theo Ender and not use Theodore at all?
  • Or if heart still set on Ender, just ignore this and go for it! :sparkles::sparkles::sparkles:
1 Like

I love [name_m]Ender[/name_m] a lot, especially with [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]! I think it does sound a little bit ominous, but if that doesn’t bother you then it doesn’t seem like a problem. @EloiseT’s suggestion of [name_m]Evren[/name_m] is also really nice.

1 Like

I think [name_m]Ender[/name_m] is cute and doable! I thought of Ender’s Game when I saw this post, and I’ve never read it or seen the movie. But, if anything, the book makes the name more familiar to people, which I bet makes it feel less unusual to people than it would otherwise

1 Like

We cannot use [name_m]Evren[/name_m], as it is indescribably similar to the surname (literally a one letter difference!). It’s funny - we’ve gotten feedback of [name_m]Ender[/name_m] being “ominous” and also “magical and gentle” haha. I personally think it sounds mystical but I totally see how people could perceive it as “the ender of things” in a not-so-good way!

1 Like

I think [name_m]Ender[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] sounds very handsome! What your friends think doesn’t matter in the end - he’s your baby. Pick the name you love! I’ve never heard of Ender’s Game, so I can’t comment on that.

1 Like

To me, the name has such a strong association with Ender’s Game that I cannot get past it. Granted, Ender’s Game is one of my all time favorite books. It is a science fiction book so it will depend a bit on what circles he travels in as a young adult/adult. But I would say it is a “newer classic” type book that is not going to go away.

The [name_m]Ender[/name_m] character in the book is the protagonist and is brilliant and overall sympathetic, but a bit ruthless. I do think there’s a bit of an ominous or violent undertone for the name. [name_m]Ender[/name_m] was named what he was because of hopes he would end a war- which he ultimately did but through a genocide (albeit he was still a child and did not understand what he was doing was real and not a game).

First - congratulations on your pregnancy, wishing you the best and easiest delivery . I want to say that I am a firm believer if you love a name use it. However I will be honest that When I say ender I hear End Her . Which I cannot unhear.

For that reason I would avoid - but you like the meaning and the name ! It’s important to you which is important too. [name_f]My[/name_f] inclination would be to use [name_m]Theo[/name_m] or [name_m]Ted[/name_m] / [name_m]Teddy[/name_m] , [name_m]Eddy[/name_m] , [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] on the first name spot , with [name_m]Ender[/name_m] as the middle name. I think there are plenty of variations that may work, and you still get to use the significant name [name_m]Ender[/name_m] and can call him that

Yeah, same for me! I haven’t read/seen it but the name is instantly familiar to me because of the book and movie. I like [name_m]Ender[/name_m] - it sounds quirky and cool to me. I don’t get an ominous vibe.

2 Likes