ends in A

I too am a name nerd…it’s almost something I’ve kinda felt like I need to hide. I’ve been into names since probably junior high (I remember asking for a name book for [name]Christmas[/name] or my birthday, can’t remember which). I had a list of those I liked and I remember my father cursing my womb until I could think of proper names (somewhat jokingly…I remember my mom was like “don’t say that! In the Bible, father’s curses came true!”)

I have names I’ve liked for a long time and names I like but don’t think I could actually use. I now have a last name to go with the names I’ve been thinking of (got married last year). Our last name, like [name]Amanda[/name], begins and ends with A, same sounds. It is three syllables.

My question is, do you think this means I need to stay away from names that end in A or the uh sound? [name]Nadia[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], etc.

Thanks Nameberries!

Dancingwithdad

I would stay away from that ending, yeah. But others will say noooo go for it. :slight_smile:

I like a lot of names that don’t end with -a though so it’s less of a loss to me than it would be to some.

It’s hard to say, but I think it would be a little sing-songy. That’s why Hannahs sometimes get the nickname “[name]Hannah[/name] [name]Banana[/name]”.

But that doesn’t cancel out all names that just end with “a” just the ones that share a few of the same sounds. A lot of people love the first/middle name combos like [name]Anna[/name] [name]Lucia[/name], or [name]Maria[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] and I think those sound great. So I can’t see it being different with a last name.