England & Wales’s Hidden Gems: Part Three (1954-1964)

Of the four sections I have created for this series, this part is the one I feel the most distant from. The 50s and 60s are names from my parents generation (albeit mostly 60s), and in a way, the names of most of the adults I surrounded myself with growing up. While some of them seem current and fresh sounding like [name_f]Alison[/name_f] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f], a number of them don’t quite yet feel like they belong in the “retro cool” vibe, thus making them seem quite a number of decades off being ready for a reboot.

Yet, in a contradictory way, a lot of the names from this era have a number of similarities to the names popular today. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] made it back into the spotlight and next to names like [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] and [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] from our current Top 100, [name_f]Gillian[/name_f], [name_f]Maxine[/name_f] and [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] carry the same spunky and bouncy feelings. [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f], [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] and [name_f]Evie[/name_f] have a similar feel to [name_f]Debbie[/name_f], [name_u]Mandy[/name_u] and [name_u]Julie[/name_u] and although they don’t feel as current as some names from the previous parts of the series, given time and some love, [name_f]Debbie[/name_f] and [name_u]Mandy[/name_u] could definitely be friends with [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], and [name_f]Maxine[/name_f] would make a great friend for [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]! So, to continue on with the series, using the name banks below, what would you name a son and a daughter?

Below the Top 500: 1954-1964 (Boys)

[name_m]Allan[/name_m], [name_m]Antony[/name_m]
[name_u]Barry[/name_u], [name_m]Bernard[/name_m], [name_m]Brian[/name_m], [name_m]Bruce[/name_m], [name_m]Bryan[/name_m]
[name_m]Carl[/name_m], [name_u]Clifford[/name_u], [name_m]Clive[/name_m], [name_m]Colin[/name_m], [name_m]Craig[/name_m]
[name_u]Darren[/name_u], [name_u]Dean[/name_u], [name_m]Derek[/name_m], [name_m]Donald[/name_m], [name_m]Duncan[/name_m]
[name_m]Gareth[/name_m], [name_u]Gary[/name_u], [name_u]Garry[/name_u], [name_m]Gavin[/name_m], [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m], [name_m]Gerald[/name_m], [name_m]Gerard[/name_m], [name_u]Glenn[/name_u], [name_m]Gordon[/name_m], [name_m]Graeme[/name_m], [name_m]Graham[/name_m], [name_m]Gregory[/name_m], [name_m]Guy[/name_m]
[name_u]Howard[/name_u]
[name_m]Iain[/name_m], [name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_m]Jeffrey[/name_m], [name_m]Jeremy[/name_m]
[name_m]Karl[/name_m], [name_m]Keith[/name_m], [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m]
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_u]Leslie[/name_u]
[name_m]Malcolm[/name_m], [name_m]Martyn[/name_m], [name_u]Maurice[/name_u]
[name_u]Neil[/name_u], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m], [name_m]Norman[/name_m]
[name_m]Phillip[/name_m]
[name_m]Raymond[/name_m], [name_m]Roger[/name_m], [name_m]Ronald[/name_m], [name_u]Roy[/name_u], [name_m]Russell[/name_m]
[name_u]Sean[/name_u], [name_u]Shaun[/name_u], [name_m]Stephen[/name_m], [name_m]Steven[/name_m], [name_m]Stewart[/name_m], [name_m]Stuart[/name_m]
[name_m]Terence[/name_m], [name_u]Terry[/name_u], [name_u]Tony[/name_u], [name_m]Trevor[/name_m]
[name_m]Wayne[/name_m]

Below the Top 500: 1954-1964 (Girls)

[name_f]Alison[/name_f], [name_f]Amanda[/name_f], [name_u]Andrea[/name_u], [name_f]Angela[/name_f], [name_f]Anita[/name_f], [name_f]Ann[/name_f], [name_u]Anne[/name_u], [name_f]Annette[/name_f]
[name_f]Barbara[/name_f], [name_f]Beverley[/name_f], [name_f]Brenda[/name_f]
[name_u]Carol[/name_u], [name_f]Carole[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f], [name_f]Cheryl[/name_f], [name_f]Christina[/name_f], [name_f]Christine[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_u]Clare[/name_u]
[name_f]Dawn[/name_f], [name_f]Debbie[/name_f], [name_f]Deborah[/name_f], [name_f]Debra[/name_f], [name_f]Denise[/name_f], [name_f]Diane[/name_f], [name_f]Donna[/name_f], [name_f]Doreen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eileen[/name_f], [name_f]Elaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Gail[/name_f], [name_f]Geraldine[/name_f], [name_f]Gillian[/name_f], [name_f]Glynis[/name_f]
[name_f]Heather[/name_f], [name_f]Helen[/name_f], [name_u]Hilary[/name_u]
[name_f]Irene[/name_f]
[name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Janet[/name_f], [name_f]Janice[/name_f], [name_f]Jayne[/name_f], [name_u]Jean[/name_u], [name_f]Jeanette[/name_f], [name_f]Jill[/name_f], [name_u]Joan[/name_u], [name_f]Joanne[/name_f], [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_u]Joyce[/name_u], [name_f]Judith[/name_f], [name_u]Julie[/name_u], [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Karen[/name_f], [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f], [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f], [name_u]Kay[/name_u], [name_u]Kim[/name_u]
[name_u]Lesley[/name_u], [name_f]Linda[/name_f], [name_u]Lisa[/name_u], [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f], [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Lynda[/name_f], [name_u]Lynn[/name_u], [name_f]Lynne[/name_f]
[name_u]Mandy[/name_u], [name_u]Marian[/name_u], [name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f], [name_u]Marion[/name_u], [name_f]Maureen[/name_f], [name_f]Maxine[/name_f], [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], [name_u]Michele[/name_u]
[name_u]Nicola[/name_u]
[name_f]Pamela[/name_f], [name_f]Patricia[/name_f], [name_f]Paula[/name_f], [name_f]Pauline[/name_f]
[name_f]Rita[/name_f], [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Sally[/name_f], [name_f]Sandra[/name_f], [name_f]Sharon[/name_f], [name_f]Sheila[/name_f], [name_u]Shirley[/name_u], [name_f]Susan[/name_f], [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Teresa[/name_f], [name_f]Theresa[/name_f], [name_f]Tina[/name_f], [name_u]Tracey[/name_u], [name_u]Tracy[/name_u]
[name_f]Valerie[/name_f], [name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_f]Wendy[/name_f]
[name_f]Yvonne[/name_f]

Here is the link for the previous part!

1 Like

I agree with you: these names feel very distant. I looked at the list before reading the rest of your post, and I thought of the same thing. These names are what I’d consider ‘parent names’. Very glad to see [name_f]Irene[/name_f] yet again

[name_u]Neil[/name_u] [name_u]Howard[/name_u] & [name_f]Alison[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] for this decade

1 Like

[name_m]Gareth[/name_m] [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] and [name_f]Gillian[/name_f] [name_f]Elaine[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_m]Roger[/name_m] [name_m]Norman[/name_m] & [name_u]Mandy[/name_u] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] i think… staying tuned for pt. 4!!

1 Like

[name_f]Maxine[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] & [name_m]Roger[/name_m] [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] [name_u]Dean[/name_u]

These names definitely do feel further from a revival, although I think a lot of them have potential! I wonder if [name_f]Maxine[/name_f] could see a rise due to Stranger Things?

2 Likes

[name_m]Antony[/name_m] [name_m]Gerard[/name_m] & [name_f]Heather[/name_f] [name_f]Maureen[/name_f]

Not having grown up in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country, these names don’t quite carry the same baggage for me. I feel the same way about 50s/60s Finnish names though, like [name_f]Pirjo[/name_f] and [name_u]Matti[/name_u] for example.

1 Like

For part three, I’d go with…

[name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] & [name_m]Colin[/name_m] [name_u]Dean[/name_u] :new_moon_with_face:

It’s very interesting to me, that even though I’m just over in [name_u]America[/name_u], that these names feel quite modern!

1 Like

Ooh, lots of good old musty darlings in this list! I can’t believe I’ve only just found this series of yours—I’m so excited about it! I love when you do these types of cool posts!

I’d name my two [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] and [name_m]Ian[/name_m] [name_u]Howard[/name_u]. :white_heart:

1 Like

[name_m]Ronald[/name_m] [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] & [name_f]Irene[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] :two_hearts:

[name_u]Ronnie[/name_u] and Reenie - how cute

1 Like

[name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Heather[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_u]Sean[/name_u] [name_m]Gregory[/name_m] and [name_u]Anne[/name_u] [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] “Annie”

1 Like

june sylvia dawn & phillip clifford :four_leaf_clover::cherry_blossom::crescent_moon::two_hearts::tulip:

1 Like

[name_u]Clifford[/name_u] [name_m]Roger[/name_m] & [name_f]Irene[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]

1 Like

In order of preference:
[name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] [name_u]Tony[/name_u], [name_m]Gavin[/name_m] [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], [name_u]Glenn[/name_u] [name_m]Phillip[/name_m]
[name_f]Jill[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_m]Antony[/name_m] [name_m]Roger[/name_m]
[name_u]Sean[/name_u] [name_m]Jeremy[/name_m]
[name_f]Valerie[/name_f] [name_f]Jeanette[/name_f]
[name_f]Eileen[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] & [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]

[name_m]Mac[/name_m] & [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_u]Dean[/name_u] [name_u]Howard[/name_u] & [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] [name_f]Maxine[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_m]Duncan[/name_m] [name_m]Raymond[/name_m] and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]

1 Like

roger sean + june sylvia

or

dean anthony + jill pamela

1 Like