Enid?

Hello! [name_m]Just[/name_m] recently found out I’m pregnant, so still uncertain of the sex of the baby. I’ve long been interested in names ( by product of hating my own name), so my husband and I have a few names on the table. I’d like to know everyone’s thoughts on [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. I love the meaning, the fact that it’s Celtic and that it’s a hidden gem. My two reservations are: is this too old ladyish? Also, we have a 9 year old cat named [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Georgina[/name_f] is it unacceptable to reuse the name? We are based in the UK. I’m thinking this name might me more usable in the UK than the US. Thoughts?

I’m from [name_f]Canada[/name_f] for context. I don’t really like [name_f]Enid[/name_f] personally, and I would think it was a bit weird if a friend had a cat with a name and then gave their kid the same name. If you’re [name_m]SET[/name_m] on [name_f]Enid[/name_f], I’d rename your cat [name_f]Georgina[/name_f] and call the cat [name_f]Georgina[/name_f] exclusively.

That said, I really like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], and [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] has a nice flow.

I do like [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]-clunky quirky and cute - but the fact it’s your cat’s name would put me off using it as a first name. [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] and [name_f]Edith[/name_f] come to mind as other possibilities

My first thought was that [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is a great choice! But, if it’s already your cat’s name, it feels like the name is used and would not be the best choice.

I would suggest maybe [name_u]Eden[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Erin[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Eira[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Eleri[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Eluned[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]… Not sure if any of those appeal to you, but they sound like good replacements for [name_f]Enid[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] a lot and dont think it’s old ladyish. However the fact that it’s your cat’s name is a big turnoff. Agree with pp who suggested renaming your cat to [name_f]Georgina[/name_f].

Very dusty and old ladyish to me. And like pps have said it’s weird to recycle your cat’s name for a child.

I think [name_f]Enid[/name_f] is cute but your cat having the same name is a bit of an issue. I think you’d have to rename her or find a different baby name.

I really like [name_f]Enid[/name_f]! I don’t like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. If you’re okay with it also being the cat’s name then I see no problem with using [name_f]Enid[/name_f]. It’s hard for me to name pets because I don’t want to accidentally name them something that I would consider for a child, but I don’t believe in cutesy pet names like Fluffball and [name_f]Coco[/name_f] lol. I named my cat [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] but I kind of want to use [name_f]Francie[/name_f] for a kid, whoops. I think [name_f]Ida[/name_f], [name_f]Ina[/name_f] or [name_f]Etta[/name_f] could be viable alternatives too.

I want to like [name_f]Enid[/name_f] and I love names like [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] etc but for me these have a more timeless, fresh quality than [name_f]Enid[/name_f] despite being of the same vintage. In saying that, I probably would have once said that about [name_f]Etta[/name_f] and look how much more popular that’s becoming! For context, I’m in Australia and can definitely see [name_f]Enid[/name_f] being used here and in [name_f]England[/name_f] much more so than in [name_u]America[/name_u]. In regards to [name_f]Enid[/name_f] being your cat’s name - I don’t think that’s as big a deal as some. It’s not ideal but if [name_f]Enid[/name_f]’s your absolute favourite and nothing else compares then use it.

I’ve LOVED [name_f]Enid[/name_f] for a long time! Go for it! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Enid[/name_f] isn’t my personal style, but I think it’s a fine name. Victorian and Edwardian-style names are currently very fashionable in the UK and I feel [name_f]Enid[/name_f] fits that description. If [name_f]Edith[/name_f] can make a comeback, why not [name_f]Enid[/name_f]? I don’t think it matters that it’s your cat’s name. I would just give the cat a different name.

I love [name_f]Enid[/name_f]. It was never too popular so I say it’s not old ladyish at all. If you don’t want to recycle your cats name you can use [name_f]Edith[/name_f] instead. It is popular in the UK right now so it may or may not be a concern. You can also try [name_f]Edie[/name_f].

I think it’s a big no-no to use the same name for your cat and your child.

Im not the biggest fan of [name_f]Enid[/name_f], but I like the flow of [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f].

Thanks everyone. This is the response I was expecting, a bit mixed. I think part of the reason I’ve fallen for the name [name_f]Enid[/name_f] is because of the constant exposure. We do have other names on the list - [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and [name_f]Olive[/name_f] - but I really liked that my husband is championing this name. We still have a bit of time… :slight_smile:

I had a cousin that was named for a family cat. If you llke a name you like a name. I personally like [name_f]Enid[/name_f]. I think it brick walls against [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] but that’s just me. On paper it looks pretty cute and honestly that’s more what middle names are for anyway.

I absolutely love [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]! And I agree that while it would be weird to have your cat and daughter share a name, renaming your cat [name_f]Georgina[/name_f] would work, and it would be a quirky story to tell baby [name_f]Enid[/name_f] when she’s older (we loved your name so much that we renamed our cat?)

I love [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and I definitely don’t think it’s too old ladyish. But… I really think it’s not okay to name your daughter the same as your cat.
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Enid[/name_f] could work. Or:
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Edie[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]

[name_f]Enid[/name_f] is very beautiful and has a lovely meaning. I think it’s totally usable since “old lady names” are coming back into style ([name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], etc).

My grandparents had a dog named [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] before they had my mom, who they named [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] (the dog was only a couple years old when my mom was born). So they changed the dogs name to something else when they had my mom. I think you could still use [name_f]Enid[/name_f] since it’s your top choice. You could always start calling your cat by her middle name or by a nickname. I mean obviously you’re not naming your daughter after your cat. It’ll just be a funny story you tell her that she passes along to her kids (my family always laughs about it whenever we mention names)

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps! :slight_smile:

What about [name_f]Diane[/name_f]? It’s practically [name_f]Enid[/name_f] spelled backwards, with an extra letter in the middle.