Enola?

With all the hype surrounding [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m], I was wondering what people thought of the name [name_f]Enola[/name_f] (eh-NO-luh) ?

For some reason, I really like it. It flows well, is spunky, yet pretty, and unique, yet not too strange. The strong but whimsical nature sort of reminds me of [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]. Nicknames of [name_f]Nolie[/name_f] and [name_f]Nola[/name_f] are adorable.

However, [name_f]Enola[/name_f] has 3 bad associations…

1. Enola backwards is Alone
  2. The [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u] plane dropped the bomb at Hiroshima
  3. Sounds v like Ebola

For some reason, these don’t really bother me, but do you think the name is actually useable given the hitches?

1 Like

I really love [name_f]Enola[/name_f]!! It has spark and such a cool energy about it. I agree that it definitely has the same whimsical feel as [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]. Quite honestly the Alone thing doesn’t bother me, i know that’s what she say’s in the movie but in real life you don’t tend to have your name spelled backwards very often :joy: The fact that it rhymes with Ebola doesn’t bother me much either, lot’s of names rhyme with ‘unfortunate’ words or have similar sounds i don’t think that would be most people’s first association. The plane thing is the only one that stands out to me as an ‘issue’ although i have to admit that i wasn’t aware of that being the name. I don’t know whether many people actually know that. Maybe it’s because i’m British, Americans might be more aware ?!

1 Like

I am the same - none of the problems really bother me that much. I’m also British, so hadn’t heard of [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u] and Alone is just quite cool. I think the rhyming with Ebola is the worst association…

I just want to check how many people are bothered!

1 Like

I don’t like it, if I’m honest. The Hiroshima associstion really puts me off

1 Like

I think it has a lovely sound, and I don’t think the similarity to ebola would be too big a deal now. I also don’t think it being alone backwards is an issue, there are much worse words out there.

However, I think the [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u] connection is very off-putting. It’s such a negative connection and I don’t think I’d be comfortable naming my child something that is such a triggering topic for so many people.

6 Likes

Ditto this.

4 Likes

I really like [name_f]Enola[/name_f]! It’s so pretty and spunky. However when I was typing it on my phone it autocorrected to Ebola and that’s pretty bad. I wish it didn’t have bad associations because it’s so pretty!

1 Like

I think [name_f]Enola[/name_f] is really unexpected and pretty. [name_f]Nola[/name_f] is a sweet nickname for her. Personally I don’t hear Ebola and the ‘alone’ thing doesn’t feel like an issue. [name_f]Enola[/name_f] is great.

1 Like

This is the one that really gets me on first hearing, but the association with the [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u] plane is a pretty bad one, and I think that would put me off too.

On the plus side: I don’t think it matters that [name_f]Enola[/name_f] is “alone” backwards! [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is “I moan”, something my friend [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] and I used to find very amusing in primary school :flushed: :joy:

4 Likes

I didn’t like of any of the issues you mentioned, but prefer [name_f]Nola[/name_f] to [name_f]Enola[/name_f].

I agree with others that the [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u] association is too awful to ignore, sorry.

However, since you like [name_f]Nola[/name_f], I actually think this would be a good option. Another consideration could be to slightly alter the name so that it loses the associations - Anola or Inola are possible variants that come to mind!

I’d only heard of the plane because of the song [name_f]Enola[/name_f] [name_u]Gay[/name_u] by OMD. Fab song. Maybe not such a fab namesake though.

Was my first thought on reading the title and I am British, so there are at least some people who know, not sure how prevalent.

The enola gay reference is too much for me.

The Hiroshima link would put me off. I don’t think you could use it.

Would you consider [name_f]Nola[/name_f]?

Or [name_f]Finola[/name_f]? (It’s an [name_f]English[/name_f] version of the Irish name [name_f]Fionnuala[/name_f]).

1 Like

Very much reminds me of ebola sorry. I don’t think it has that much of a pretty sound to it? I do love the nicknames nolie and [name_f]Nola[/name_f] though but I think you could get them nicknames from much prettier names like [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Noella[/name_f]

Enola is so pretty but I can’t get away from those associations. However the gorgeous-ness of the name takes away those bad associations. I really like [name_f]Enola[/name_f] but all the nicknames I can think of aren’t great so if I had a child named [name_f]Enola[/name_f] she’d just be [name_f]Enola[/name_f].

Ebola is the first thing that comes to mind, sorry.

I wouldn’t be able to get past any of those 3 problems.

I did have to do a double-take because it very much reminded me of Ebola. It is intriguing (even moreso with the [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] tie!), but I have to say I’d prefer [name_f]Enora[/name_f] myself.

Don’t like the sound. LOOKS LIKE EBOLA.