Ernest

Old man names are my favorite, but would this be too tough on a young boy? It is so perfect to me with its literary connotation and history. Would love to get some honest feedback!

I’m in the UK and feel like [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] would have no trouble in his class of [name_m]Georges[/name_m], Oscars and Arthurs, he would fit right in! Are you in the US?

I would be a little surprised to come across a little [name_m]Ernest[/name_m], but I love The Importance of Being [name_m]Earnest[/name_m] so it always makes me smile because of that. It’s still a bit too vintage for my taste but it’s a nice name! I don’t see anything wrong with it, little old man names are back in style so I would think that people would adjust very quickly to it.

1 Like

While [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] does still feel a little clunky, it’s nickname [name_m]Ernie[/name_m] I feel is on the verge of being cool again. And tbh while I think it would be surprising to meet a little [name_m]Ernest[/name_m], I can’t think of any bad associations or teasing that would be obvious besides 'being earnest and with all the clunky names coming back into style I feel [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] would fit right in with the Walter’s & Dorothy’s

[name_f]My[/name_f] best friend is an [name_m]Ernest[/name_m]! He recently turned 21, so definitely on the younger side. He doesn’t like being called [name_m]Ernie[/name_m] but I always call him [name_m]Ern[/name_m] as a nickname. I was surprised to meet him when we were both 15, but it’s a classic name and perfectly fine in this day and age!!!

I can easily imagine a little [name_m]Ernest[/name_m].
I’m a teacher, and it’s amazing how when a child comes around with an unexpected, older name it doesn’t take too long for it to just become second nature!
What’s also adorable is that the kids in the class growing up with him don’t see it as an aged name… it’s just very normal to them!

1 Like

I know the movies are old but the [name_m]Earnest[/name_m] series totally ruin this name for me.

1 Like

I think it works! It has the classic, handsome feel of [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m], and [name_m]Lionel[/name_m], but also to modern, wordy choices like [name_m]Chosen[/name_m], [name_m]Wilder[/name_m], [name_m]Brave[/name_m], [name_m]Truett[/name_m], etc.

In the UK, it’s also in the top 300 and on the rise too!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] gosh, I love this name! It wouldn’t be out of place in the UK, and fits right in with all of the naming trends going on. I think [name_f]Princess[/name_f] Eugenie’s usage of the name for her son could boost its popularity, at least in the UK.

1 Like

Honestly, I would be thrilled to meet a little [name_m]Ernest[/name_m]! :heart:

1 Like

That is so exciting to hear! Someone who recently aged into it- I don’t love the nickname [name_m]Ernie[/name_m] either so that is a minor hesitation, but it’s kind of cute anyway!

Yes I am in the US. But definitely partial to all things [name_f]British[/name_f], including classic [name_f]British[/name_f] names :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are GOOD! I have a little Walter:)

Such a great point! I notice that at daycare and it makes me smile!

I forgot about the [name_f]Princess[/name_f]! I agree that will make an impact.

Looking for something less used than [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], so this could be perfect but hopefully doesn’t get popular now too!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] grandfather was named [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] so I definitely see the clunkiness. I’m in the US and would be pleasantly surprised to meet a young [name_m]Ernest[/name_m]. But in the same way I would feel meeting an [name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_m]Eugene[/name_m], [name_m]Walter[/name_m], etc.

I think [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Eugenie[/name_f] using [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] (as a brother to [name_m]August[/name_m] which is pretty trendy) shows that [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] is making a comeback.

1 Like

There are plenty of Ernests here in the Deep [name_f]South[/name_f] and most of them are called [name_m]Ernest[/name_m], not [name_m]Ernie[/name_m].

[name_m]Ernie[/name_m] is adorable. I think [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Eugenie[/name_f] has brought both [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] and [name_m]Ernie[/name_m] to the forefront. I also like [name_m]Ernst[/name_m], after my favorite writer, [name_m]Ernst[/name_m] [name_m]Theodor[/name_m] [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m] Hoffmann.

1 Like

There’s a music artist that goes by [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] and I think we may see a rise in popularity

Personally I have an association with an [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] so it wouldn’t be a contender for us but I can absolutely see the appeal

1 Like