Esme pronunciation & middles

Hey Berries!

So I think we’ve settled on a name for our little girl that we love…Esme. However, one thing is bothering me…everyone seems to pronounce [name_u]Esme[/name_u] differently! We would like to pronounce it ‘Ez-may’ or ‘Es-may’ - both sound the same to my ear. This is also how NB says it is pronounced. But I see all over the internet that there is a big divide regarding the pronunciation, some say ‘Es-mee’ and others ‘Ez-may’. Seems like people really get their back up about people using a different pronunciation to them…in fact I am not sure why I am asking for more opinions, especially when I’m heavily pregnant and hormonal but I guess I want to hear if you think using the ‘Ez-may’ pronunciation will be ok or cause our little girl regularly problems. It may be worth mentioning we live in the UK. If you could say your preferred pronunciation and where you live that would be interesting.

I’ve only ever met one [name_u]Esme[/name_u] in passing, who pronounced it ‘Ez-may’ so I don’t have a lot to go on. I know we could use an accent over the last ‘e’ to make our preferred pronunciation more obvious but tbh as we don’t live in a [name_u]French[/name_u] speaking country I think that would just cause issues…I’m not even sure where to find it on the keyboard! Also, aware we could spell it ‘Esmae’ but ‘Esme’ just looked sleeker in my opinion.

Any other feedback on the name is welcome too…but please be kind and helpful

Also bonus question do you prefer [name_u]Esme[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] or [name_u]Esme[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] more?

Thank you!! xx

I’ve only ever heard of the ‘ez-may’ pronunciation before! In my eyes, that’s the only way to say [name_u]Esme[/name_u]!

The ‘ez-mee’ way is one she might encounter with a rouge substitute teacher at school, I suppose… but I think, on the whole, she’ll be totally fine. The [name_u]Esme[/name_u] spelling is totally intuitive for the ‘ez-may’ pronunciation.

On the middle front, I prefer [name_u]Esme[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is such a showstopper, and she’s really prim and pretty in the middle spot. A bit more unexpected than [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], and I think [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] sounds really great witty [name_u]Esme[/name_u].

I hope this helps! xx

1 Like

I feel like the people pronouncing it es-mee are just ignorant of the origins of the name. I definitely pronounce it as you prefer and I think most people in real life won’t have an issue pronouncing it that way. Although, you may have to occasionally correct someone who just isn’t familiar with the name. [name_u]Esme[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is gorgeous!

I like [name_u]Esme[/name_u] (Ez-may) if it bothers you , you could spell it [name_f]Esmae[/name_f] or [name_f]Esmay[/name_f]. I Think [name_u]Esme[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] flows best

I’m team Es- meeee being the intuitive way to pronounce it. Color me surprised when Nameberry told me others say it differently. I am in the US if that means anything. You’ll likely have to correct people down the road- as you mentioned the great divide. But I’m not sure if that’s what you mean by regular problems. I have a familiar name but still have to correct others everywhere I go the correct spelling. It’s just how names work these days.

With your way of wanting it said I like middle name Elizabeth. If it were the “me” way I’d be voting Josephine.

1 Like

Ez-may is the only way I have ever heard the name pronounced and I think [name_u]Esme[/name_u] is a beautiful name.

For a middle name I agree that [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] flows better but [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is seen as a “filler” middle name along with [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Ann[/name_f], [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. For that reason I would go with [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] as it is more unexpected.

1 Like

That made me laugh. So true. Been there, still there!

I naturally don’t say ez-MEE. (I’m in the Midwestern, no accent USA) I bet those who want to have an unusual pronunciation with a normal spelling are those who are all in a tiff over the “right way.”

Josephine>Elizabeth, but I don’t love alliteration. Why do those names appeal to you?

[name_f]Every[/name_f] [name_u]Esme[/name_u] I’ve encountered has pronounced it the way you do and it would be my go to pronunciation :person_shrugging: I’m also in the UK! [name_f]My[/name_f] only suggestion would be to ask the people around you how they’d say it to get a real sense of the pronunciations she might encounter.

[name_u]Esme[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] works for me :heart:

I live in the US and I’d pronounce it ez-may — and that’s the pronunciation I prefer :blush:

[name_u]Esme[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is lovely!

Firstly congratulations!

So I’ve encountered a few Esme’s she is a favourite amongst [name_f]British[/name_f] parents and the majority have pronounced the name ez may. I have only encountered one with the pronunciation es-meee. However I wouldn’t worry sweat this, anyone who mispronounces her name (using a different pronunciation to your preferred one) just correct them it’s not that much hassle. I correct people a lot in relation to my daughter’s name it isn’t that difficult. [name_u]Esme[/name_u] is gorgeous stick with your preferred spelling/pronunciation it’ll work just fine!

Concerning middle names both are stunning
either option will be absolute gorgeous. However I prefer [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I just love the name [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] she’s elegant, regal, classic, timeless and has the lovely meaning ‘pledged to G-d’. I love alliteration and find [name_u]Esme[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] with those repeated ‘e’ sounds so sweet.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps :heart:

1 Like

I naturally say Ez-may (east coast US) but it’s with a “soft” z (I can’t really explain it well, but it’s almost a mix between a Z and an S?). In my area, Ez-may is the common pronunciation and I don’t think I’ve encountered an [name_u]Esme[/name_u] who pronounced it “Es-may” or “Es-me”.

For middles, I love [name_u]Esme[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] — I’m a sucker for a good alliteration name and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is such a charming classic.

Hi!! Congratulations! I am in the US (NYC) and have a 2.5 year-old [name_f]Esme[/name_f]. We just bumped into an 8 year/old [name_f]Esme[/name_f] in the park today, and there are a few in our area. We pronounce it how you intend to and it’s the only way I know of- but I will warn you some people are just ignorant and have never heard the name and pronounce it “Ez-mee” or some other way, and I just correct them and move on. Both middle name options are lovely! Good luck and feel well!