Esme

I have been charmed by the sweet [name]Esme[/name] lately, and I’m just looking for opinions. [name]How[/name] do you think it fits with [name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Arianne[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], etc.?

I’m not sure which spelling/variation I should go for. As someone who’s a huge Francophone, the Esmée spelling (accent and all) seems like the most proper, and maybe the most appealing, but the extra “E” makes it look too frilly/overdone. When I see [name]Esme[/name] I’m tempted to just say “sss-mmm” rather than “ez-may”, but it does look cleaner-cut to me, and I think it would have less spelling issues. Then there’s the longer, frillier [name]Esmeralda[/name] (nn [name]Esme[/name]/Esmée). My sister and I have a huge thing for languages and Spanish is the language we’re both most fluent in (aside from English, of course), and, in Spanish, [name]Esmeralda[/name] means “emerald”, which is my brother’s birth-stone. Then again, just [name]Esme[/name]/Esmée has the “may” sound in it, and [name]May[/name] is (of course) my brother’s birth month and [name]Mae[/name] was my grandmother’s MN. Then again, [name]Esme[/name]/Esmée’s meaning (esteemed and loved) is more touching/appealing to me. I like them each for different reasons but I can’t seem to decide between them. I am pretty sure [name]Esme[/name] will be the [name]Berry[/name] favorite but I’m not convinced. WDYT?

Any MN ideas for [name]Esme[/name]/Esmée/[name]Esmeralda[/name]? I was thinking of [name]Pearl[/name] as the second MN to honor my sister but I’m not sure what I would put in between.

Thanks!

I really like [name]Esme[/name]. I agree with you, it looks cleaner than Esmee (I can’t get accents on my computer). Esmee without the accent (which would happen a lot) seems like it would be Es-meeee in prn more than [name]Esme[/name]. I do like [name]Esmeralda[/name], but think it is kind of strange on a baby with no Spanish heritage (even if you plan to speak Spanish with the baby and all that - I think I do, but I still think heavily Spanish names are off for me - shame because I do love [name]Diego[/name] in particular).

I do like [name]Esme[/name] the best ulimately. Maybe an M middle name would strengthen the tie in to [name]May[/name], and the PRN. [name]Esme[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Esme[/name] [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Esme[/name] [name]Maria[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]…

What about [name]Emerald[/name] as a middle name? With an S first name it seems [name]Esme[/name] could be a logical nickname. [name]Stella[/name] [name]Emerald[/name]? [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Emerald[/name]? [name]Emerald[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] as middle names is pretty odd though : D.

Good luck!

I love Esmé! So beautiful. I’m not a huge fan of the Esmée spelling, but I do love [name]Esme[/name]/Esmé. Its such a simple, pretty name.
I considered it for V, maybe you remember :slight_smile: I love the sound of [name]Esmerelda[/name] but I can’t get past the Disney association.

Some middle name ideas:

[name]Esme[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Esme[/name] [name]Giovanna[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Esme[/name] [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Esme[/name] [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Esme[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Esme[/name] [name]Georgina[/name] [name]Alice[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps :slight_smile:

I love [name]Esmeralda[/name], and would use that nn [name]Esme[/name].

[name]Lucy[/name], I do remember! :slight_smile: I love [name]Giovanna[/name] and [name]Rachel[/name] with [name]Esme[/name]–[name]Giovanna[/name] is another family name for me. I really like [name]Esme[/name] [name]Giovanna[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]. I love [name]Rachel[/name] too much to use it as a MN for [name]Esme[/name], though! [name]Ophelia[/name] and [name]Georgina[/name] are pretty, too. Maybe [name]Esme[/name] [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]?

@jesba - I don’t know, I think with [name]Esme[/name] I wouldn’t need another “M” name to tie into the whole [name]May[/name] thing since it has the may sound in it already. I do like [name]Esme[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], though! I do love [name]Sylvie[/name] (and a ton of other “S” names!), but [name]Emerald[/name] has always felt too stripperish to me. I like just [name]Esme[/name]/Esmée more than something like [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Emerald[/name] nn [name]Esme[/name].

Any other combo ideas? I was thinking maybe [name]Esme[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]…

Aw I am sorry but I really cannot stand this name :frowning: It is so Twilight and trendy to me. All of your other names are so beautiful and sweet and to me this is the exact opposite. It is just not up to par with your other names [name]IMO[/name]. If you were going to use it I would definitely use [name]Esmeralda[/name] with NN [name]Esme[/name]. I think that helps it get closer to the level of your other names. I think [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] is lovely, almost to lovely for [name]Esme[/name]. [name]Esme[/name] just does not match your style to me. I would use it as an MN if you were going to use. Maybe something like [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Esme[/name] are something like that.

In [name]France[/name] neither [name]Esme[/name] or Esmée has ever been popular (INSEE shows less that 50 births for either since 1900) but [name]Esme[/name] has been more popular so you might want to go with that one. Personally I like Esmée better because I think too many people identify [name]Esme[/name] with Twilight now.

Its a lovely name though nms and it would make a nice middle imo!

I love this combination!

I agree with other posters that the Esmée spelling would lead to mispronounciation (ez-mee) so I would use [name]Esme[/name]/[name]Esmé[/name].

And I have to disagree with dillonsfan01 I think [name]Esme[/name] is a classic name, Twilight is a fad, in 5 years time no one will remember that a minor character had the same name - lots of people know nothing about it and wouldn’t make the connection even today. It wouldn’t effect my choice if it was a name I really loved.