Esme?

So I found out yesterday that this was a variant of [name_f]Amy[/name_f], which is the name I wish I had as a child.
I also love the meaning of ‘beloved’
I’m sort of liking [name_f]Esme[/name_f] but my mom burst my bubble today by telling me it was an old lady name… and I can sort of see where she is coming from. Obviously she knew it pre-twilight association (I think the younger generation may be more familiar with it due to this association), I know it because of Esmee Denters who was big on youtube awhile back and got signed by [name_m]Justin[/name_m] Timberlake (though her album went nowhere).

#1 What do you think of [name_f]Esme[/name_f]? (honest opinions welcome)…

#2 If you don’t like it do you prefer [name_f]Amy[/name_f]? (I know it’s dated but the 70s was awhile ago)

I’m asking now because I’d rather kill the thought at the start than have a bad name grow on me.

btw I don’t mind the Twilight association as it made the name more recognizable but it still is nowhere near being uber popular

**** I left this post and poll indefinately open so that in the future anyone can bump it and continue voting

I think its pretty. Nicer than [name_f]Amy[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Esme[/name_f]! I think it’s feminine without being frilly & very classy sounding. I much prefer [name_f]Esme[/name_f] to [name_f]Amy[/name_f] (which I find very plain).

I think I could like [name_f]Esme[/name_f], but the Twilight connection really bugs me. I enjoyed the books, but I think it’ll sound dated quickly as Twilight falls out of fashion. I think [name_f]Amy[/name_f] is more classic.

I only know [name_f]Esme[/name_f] from a Disney cartoon–she was the villain/crone.

I actually really like it -[name_f]Esme[/name_f]- (love is too strong a word to use as yet) as it is distinct, not popular yet has a familiar feel to it.
[name_u]Truth[/name_u] be told I prefer frilly names and I am actually surprised I like this without the frills attached to it.

Though I loved [name_f]Amy[/name_f] as a child and think that it is a timeless name which will always hold a place in my heart… There’s just something about [name_f]Esme[/name_f] that intrigues me. Despite the association with Twilight this name hasn’t caught on that much (at least not yet), so I’m not so sure it is popular enough to be that dated of a name, especially as it doesn’t follow the -ella, -ley, -lyn, boys names on girls trend. Dated but not too popular.

I like both [name_f]Amy[/name_f] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f]. [name_f]Esme[/name_f] slightly more, but I’m quite fond of [name_f]Amy[/name_f] despite some people finding it dated.

[name_f]Amy[/name_f] is refreshing compared to [name_f]Ava[/name_f] (which I hate) and even [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], which I love but is more on trend. [name_f]Amy[/name_f] reminds me of [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women and has a soft, unpretentious sound to me. It sounds simple and like it’s not trying to impress anyone, and I kind of really like that. Not everything has to be about being the only one anyone you know has ever met, you know?

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] feels more stylish than [name_f]Amy[/name_f], and I like the -may sound. [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is another name I really adore. I like [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f], too, but [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is less clunky. I could see [name_f]Esme[/name_f] getting more popular.

I hadn’t thought about the beloved meaning that much, that’s interesting. [name_m]Both[/name_m] my grandmother and my sister have names that mean “beloved” or “lovable” but they’re not named the same thing as each other and neither is an [name_f]Amy[/name_f] or a [name_f]Esme[/name_f]. [name_f]One[/name_f] would tie in interestingly, I’ll have to think about that.

I loved [name_f]Esme[/name_f] before Twilight, and the association hasn’t dampened my love! I think [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is beautiful and very wearable. It’s uncommon, but recognizable, and with a beautiful meaning. Gorgeous! I definitely prefer it to [name_f]Amy[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Esme[/name_f] . I think its a cute and refersing choise . Its unique but still familiar enough due to the Twilight assosiation .The meaning is also lovely too .I definetly prefer it to [name_f]Amy[/name_f] which i find quite dated . I definetly agree with you [name_f]Gina[/name_f] that the name isnt popular enough to consider dated in a few years .

I think it potentially may end up uber-popular, but it is a lovely name.

I’m not sure [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and [name_f]Amy[/name_f] are actually related–where did you hear that? [name_f]Amy[/name_f] (the more phonetic spelling of [name_f]Aimee[/name_f]–which, technically in [name_m]French[/name_m], is eh-MEE, not AY-mee, which bugs the [name_m]French[/name_m] in me to no end) is derived from the [name_m]French[/name_m] word “aimer”. Meaning to like, to love. [name_f]Esme/name_f derives from the Old [name_m]French[/name_m] word esmer, meaning to esteem. Granted, the idea behind the meanings are similar (and I believe the word “esmer” is no longer in use), so I suppose “esmer” could have morphed into “aimer”, but the meanings really don’t correlate that well. “To esteem” doesn’t exactly mean “to love”.

For what it’s worth, I think it’s a great name. I love it. I never seem to add it to my list, but I do love it. But also for what it’s worth, I would never use the [name_f]Esme[/name_f] spelling. I just keep saying EZ-mm whenever I see it. It loses the [name_m]French[/name_m] charm without the accent and the proper feminine spelling (in [name_m]French[/name_m], Esmé is the male spelling, and Esmée is the feminine one). If [name_u]Ren[/name_u]ée caught on for girls, and people figured out how to say that, why in the world can’t Americans bother to spell Esmée right, too? I think people just assume that [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is the traditional spelling because of Twilight, but I find Esmée truly beautiful and I’d love to meet a little girl with the name.

I really like [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and defiantly prefer it to [name_f]Amy[/name_f]. I don’t at all find it an old women name, probably because the only [name_f]Esme[/name_f] I know is about eight.

I thought [name_f]Esme[/name_f] was just okay until some friends used it for their daughter, and now I love it. I associate it less with Twilight and more with the J.D. [name_m]Salinger[/name_m] story “For [name_f]Esme[/name_f]–With [name_f]Love[/name_f] and Squalor,” and I think it has literary overtones more so than pop-cultural overtones for many people. It’s a great name! I like it much better than [name_f]Amy[/name_f], which (as others have said) seems a bit dated and plain.

I wouldn’t worry about it being an old ladies name. There are a lot of oldies ranking pretty high in popularity right now. [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is pretty in my opinion.

@ashthedreamer here and thinkbabaynames have the names [name_f]Amy[/name_f] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f] as related. However behind the name didn’t and should I should have taken that as a sign as they usually have the best etymology. I looked it up and did find that it was the [name_m]French[/name_m] variation of Esmer. However everywhere has esteemed and loved as synonymous for the English translations.

I know it loses the [name_m]French[/name_m] charm with the spelling and I found that out a little after I posted this thread. I was actually saving it for another thread after I get everyone’s opinion of the name.

Everyone else thanks for the feedback, I read everyone’s post it’s just that [name_u]Ash[/name_u] had some very specific references I wanted to respond to.

I really like [name_f]Esme[/name_f] (much more than [name_f]Amy[/name_f]), but never found it complete enough. Then I found the name Esmeray (Esmeree) And I’m in love : ) Back to [name_f]Esme[/name_f]; I think people will have some trouble pronouncing it. Likely half will pronounce it right and the other half will say (ez-mee). Ashthedreamer’s suggestion of Esmée would probably be much easier for people to say (though for some reason I don’t like it as much).

[name_f]Esme[/name_f]…
I love it! She has a beautiful, elegant, and demure. I love the [name_m]French[/name_m] flair of the name [name_f]Esme[/name_f], she’s a lovely name.

I dislike [name_f]Amy[/name_f] never liked it. The name feels dated and unappealing.

No offence ignore your mother [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is fantastic!! [name_f]Amy[/name_f] feels dated, [name_f]Esme[/name_f] feels unusual and fresh

1. Sorry but I really hate the name [name_f]Esme[/name_f]. It just sounds unpleasant to me, like asthma or eczema. I visualize the villain Yzma in Emperor’s [name_m]New[/name_m] Groove.

2. [name_f]Amy[/name_f] is okay. It definitely is dated. I don’t mind it as a nickname, but on it’s own it doesn’t feel substantial to me.

I adore [name_f]Esme[/name_f]/Esmé! So much sleek classiness in four little letters (or five letters if you go with [name_f]Esme[/name_f]é. I like them both.) [name_f]Amy[/name_f] is nice, but it’s bland and insubstantial next to the sort of cosmopolitan sagacity of [name_f]Esme[/name_f]. I like [name_f]Ismay[/name_f], the masculine Middle [name_m]French[/name_m] version, even better.