Ethan, but not what you'd think...

I really love [name]Ethan[/name] for a girl, I’m not expecting or anything so not to worry but just wondering what other people thought. Maybe this one is firmly in the boys camp or could it swap sides any time soon?

It just has a strong feel to it but nothing too masculine and I can imagine a pretty little girl introducing herself as [name]Ethan[/name] but maybe that’s just me.

I think [name]Ethan[/name] could easily be used for a girl. I mean, if [name]Elliott[/name] can be, [name]Ethan[/name] can be, right? A lot of people are going to tell you “No! Stop taking boys names away!” My feelings on this are that you naming your daughter [name]Ethan[/name] should not have any impact on others wanting to name their son [name]Ethan[/name]. Many people feel that once a name , switches to the ‘girls’ camp’ they can’t use it for boys anymore. I would really like to see boys and girls having the same name rather than it being ‘thats a boys name’ ‘thats a girls name’ all the time.
So, I guess my point it, go for it but be prepared for some people to make negative comments. As long as you’re content with your little girl [name]Ethan[/name] knowing lots of boys with the same name, I think you could use it. The only thing it seems to be missing for me is a cute girly nn (like [name]Ellie[/name] for [name]Elliott[/name] or [name]Evie[/name] for [name]Evan[/name]). [name]Ettie[/name]? [name]Etta[/name]?

I love it as a girls name. Hey, if [name]Michelle[/name] [name]Branch[/name] can name her daughter [name]Owen[/name], that doesn’t mean you can’t name a girl [name]Ethan[/name].

Thanks for your insight guys, always nice to see what other people think:) [name]Just[/name] to reiterate though, I’m not having a baby so I won’t be calling a girl [name]Ethan[/name] anytime soon. Wanted to clear that up lol. Please keep sharing opinions!

I have a nephew named [name]Ethan[/name] and he is ALL boy so it’s really hard for me shake it’s boy association. I’ll admit though I am a lover unisex names. I haven’t used them for first names yet but have in the middle. [name]Berlin[/name] and [name]Taylor[/name]. I’m thinking about [name]Ethan[/name] hmmmmmm. It will be interesting to see where the name [name]Ethan[/name] goes in a few years. I’ve read stories of girls named [name]Christopher[/name], so there you go.

If it works for you, then go for it. But, as a girls’ name, I have to say that [name]Ethan[/name] doesn’t work for me at all.

I would suggest the more feminine and lovelier Hebrew form of the name: [name]Etana[/name] or Eitana.

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I second [name]Nephele[/name]. While I can see how some boys’ names can work on girls (for example, [name]Elliott[/name]'s beginning sounds like the feminine [name]Ellie[/name], and the tt ending reminds me of [name]Juliet[/name]/[name]Juliette[/name]), I guess I view naming a girl [name]Ethan[/name] the same way I’d view a girl being named [name]David[/name], [name]Henry[/name], or [name]Benjamin[/name]. It’s just all boy to me.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I second [name]Nephele[/name]. While I can see how some boys’ names can work on girls (for example, [name]Elliott[/name]'s beginning sounds like the feminine [name]Ellie[/name], and the tt ending reminds me of [name]Juliet[/name]/[name]Juliette[/name]), I guess I view naming a girl [name]Ethan[/name] the same way I’d view a girl being named [name]David[/name], [name]Henry[/name], or [name]Benjamin[/name]. It’s just all boy to me.

Good luck! :-)[/quote]

Thanks for the seconding, [name]Jill[/name].

charliehotsox, what do you (and others here) think of “Ethaine” for a girl? It just occurred to me.

It’s not pronounced the same way as [name]Ethan[/name], but if you’re looking for something that approximates [name]Ethan[/name] in appearance, yet has a feminine edge, then I think Ethaine comes pretty close.

Ethaine is a variant of Etain (pronounced AY-teen or AY-deen, the name of a heroine in Irish mythology).

– [name]Nephele[/name]

Good luck! :-)[/quote]

Thanks for the seconding, [name]Jill[/name].

charliehotsox, what do you (and others here) think of “Ethaine” for a girl? It just occurred to me.

It’s not pronounced the same way as [name]Ethan[/name], but if you’re looking for something that approximates [name]Ethan[/name] in appearance, yet has a feminine edge, then I think Ethaine comes pretty close.

Ethaine is a variant of Etain (pronounced AY-teen or AY-deen, the name of a heroine in Irish mythology).

– [name]Nephele[/name][/quote]

[name]Nephele[/name] -

I like your thinking. Ethiane for a girl looks wonderful and written down I actually would prefer it over [name]Ethan[/name] (and that’s saying something), it is gorgeous! However the pronunciation is where it falls apart for me. The magic, I think, in [name]Ethan[/name] is the ‘th’ sound after the strong ‘E’. I could say [name]Ethan[/name] over and over again, it just seems to roll off your tongue. With Ethiane though, it sounds off to me. A little girl replying to someone asking her to introduce herself bouncing up and saying Ethiane, well it’s going to sound a lot like eighteen isn’t it? which is fine when she’s little because it sounds cute but when she’s older and not eighteen? So I suppose in conclusion I love it, so long as no one would ever have to say it.

Must compliment you on your name knowledge too before I go, it sounds like a gem for somebody:)

Thanks for the compliment, Charliehotsox, and I do see your point about “eighteen” and Etain or Ethaine.

Can’t beat [name]Ethan[/name]'s strong “E” followed by the “th” sound, that you mentioned. Now, I would suggest [name]Athena[/name] or [name]Athene[/name] for a girl. lol I guess I just can’t work my head around the name [name]Ethan[/name] for a girl. But, again, if it works for you, then cheers!

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I “third” [name]Nephele[/name] and [name]Jill[/name] and anyone else who thinks [name]Ethan[/name] sounds too masculine for a girl, but you must remember that I am from the UK, where it is less common for girls to take “boys’ names” apart from traditional both-sex names like [name]Leslie[/name]/[name]Lesley[/name], [name]Francis[/name]/[name]Frances[/name], [name]Robin[/name]/[name]Robyn[/name] etc., and even then the girl’s version has a different spelling - [name]Peta[/name]/[name]Peter[/name] is another one.

It is your choice, though, and we all have very individual tastes.
Are you thinking of the Irish Gaelic name [name]Eithne[/name] by any chance, dear [name]Nephele[/name]? It might look a bit like [name]Ethan[/name] but is pronounced very differently.

No, I was thinking of Etain from Irish myth. I know that [name]Eithne[/name] is pronounced something like “En-ya”? Beautiful name! I’m glad you mentioned that one!

– [name]Nephele[/name]

[name]Nephele[/name], I love seeing you posting more! :slight_smile: I think that Ethaine is gorgeous, but I’m not sure it would be pronounced correctly. I really love the Eitana suggestion, too.

Have a great night!

~[name]Trilby[/name] Tinkerbell [name]Jam[/name] :slight_smile:

Thank you all for suggestions, particularly [name]Nephele[/name]‘s, but nothing seems to compare to [name]Ethan[/name] for me. Whether it’s the spelling or the pronunciation, they just don’t have the same edge. I love [name]Ethan[/name] for its’ meaning too and its’ connotations. Funny thing is, I’ve grown more and more in love with it as I read everyone’s posts, even the ones protesting how definitely masculine it is.

I have taken all suggestions into account and I’ve been searching nameberry for more feminine names with the same sound and feel but nothing has come close so far. Hopefully by the time I come round to having a baby (while away yet), [name]Ethan[/name] will seem more like [name]Elliot[/name] to people than [name]Henry[/name] and there will be nothing wrong with giving it to a girl.

[name]Do[/name] you have girl Elliots in the US? Never heard of a female one here!

I am glad you are sticking to your guns, anyway. That is what naming a child is all about - finding a name that YOU love and that is right for YOU and YOUR baby. We Nameberry-ites are just here as sounding-boards anyway. When you have found a name you love, you will know, and you won’t need our opinions anyway! What if the baby is a boy? ?
I should have known better than to try and second-guess clever-sticks [name]Nephele[/name] - she of the Clouds who knows all - and yes, [name]Eithne[/name] is pronounced rather like ENN-ya. (there is a singer by that name - [name]Enya[/name] - which is a phonetic spelling of her actual Irish Gaelic name).

Yep! But not many, as they never make the Social Security Administration’s Top 1,000 list. However, for the year 1999, the SSA reported 10 baby girl Elliots and 17 baby girl Elliotts. For the year 2000 the SSA reported 16 baby girl Elliots and 12 baby girl Elliotts. (Those are the only years for which I have complete stats.)

I am glad you are sticking to your guns, anyway. That is what naming a child is all about - finding a name that YOU love and that is right for YOU and YOUR baby. We Nameberry-ites are just here as sounding-boards anyway. When you have found a name you love, you will know, and you won’t need our opinions anyway!

Absolutely!

What if the baby is a boy? ?

Hahaha! But, good question! Charliehotsox, does the name “[name]Ethan[/name]” appeal to you as much for a boy?

I should have known better than to try and second-guess clever-sticks [name]Nephele[/name] - she of the Clouds who knows all - and yes, [name]Eithne[/name] is pronounced rather like ENN-ya. (there is a singer by that name - [name]Enya[/name] - which is a phonetic spelling of her actual Irish Gaelic name).

“She of the Clouds” does not know all. I learn a lot from my friends. :wink:

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I know that, [name]Nephele[/name], I was only teasing you. You NEVER give the impression of being a Know-All, but you do impress us nevertheless.

Well to answer questions, I’m not from US, I actually live in little old New Zealand and we do have a few Elliots over here. As to [name]Ethan[/name] for a boy… I spose it could work but I’m not in love with that idea must say, I prefer everyone’s favourite; [name]Matthew[/name] for a boy.
Thanks for all your feedback though, its been really interesting to see what you all think :slight_smile:

Aw, I knew you were teasing, {{{{[name]Ailsa[/name]}}}} <=== hugs!

And, thanks for the props, my dear Welsh friend!

– [name]Nephele[/name]