Ethel and Darlene

What do we think of these two? Are they too dated to be recoverable? [name_f]Vintage[/name_f] charm? Could they be used on a modern baby?

3 Likes

[name_f]Ethel[/name_f] ā€“ I think it has a sweet sound, but I worry itā€™s still too dated for a baby because I feel like they use it in pop culture as a stereotypical ā€œold ladyā€ name, to the point where her peers might recognize that and tease her.

[name_f]Darlene[/name_f] ā€“ This feels more midcentury than vintage to me. I think it could be used on a modern baby ā€“ especially with a nickname like [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Dolly[/name_f], or even [name_f]Darla[/name_f], which while also dated I think is fresher than [name_f]Darlene[/name_f]. It would still probably raise eyebrows from adults, but unlike [name_f]Ethel[/name_f], I donā€™t think kids would associate it with being an ā€œoldā€ name and therefore I donā€™t think it would attract any teasing. I like [name_f]Darlene[/name_f] (and really like Darla) so I would vouch for this one.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] might be on the cusp of a revival, at least among the hipster crowd with the cute nickname [name_f]Ettie[/name_f]. It seems like something that would come back in the UK first, maybe?

[name_f]Darlene[/name_f] has a bit of a wait before itā€™s possibly ready. The mid-century -een names (Kathleen, [name_f]Charlene[/name_f], [name_f]Maureen[/name_f], etc.) are still on the outs for the most part in modern baby naming (though I do know a newborn Charlene). Iā€™m not sure if the similarity to ā€œdarlingā€ will help or hinder this particular one in a revival.

1 Like

To me [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] sounds eternally dated, like [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] or [name_f]Muriel[/name_f]. However, as @VEL said I can actually see it catching on amongst hipster types as an alternative to other vintage revival names that have actually become popular and fresh again. Thereā€™s also the artist [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] [name_m]Cain[/name_m] which is introducing the name to younger folks.

[name_f]Darlene[/name_f] is my grandmotherā€™s name so I have a special soft spot for it. She said she was named because her father thought she looked so ā€œdarlingā€ as a baby. :slight_smile: I agree with previous posters that itā€™s more midcentury which isnā€™t quite ready for revival in the popular zeitgeist just yet, but I think that [name_f]Darlene[/name_f] works well and wouldnā€™t evoke too much of a, ā€œOhā€¦ you named your child that?ā€ At my first job I worked with a [name_f]Darlene[/name_f] who was the same age as me and it wasnā€™t weird or anything.

1 Like

Soooooo Iā€™m in America and it makes me think of old sitcoms (I Love Lucy & Roseanne) so for me they come across dated.
If those shows arenā€™t a thing where youā€™re at, though, they may be fresher.

Fresher yet similar names (imo):

Emmeline, Elaine, even Etheline maybe?

Dahlia, Delilah, Dana

1 Like

I actually love [name_f]Darlene[/name_f] (and itā€™s alternative, Darla). I do think itā€™s very 80ā€™s-ish, so not exactly vintage charm, but some kind of retro charm, at least for me. I think Iā€™m going to be in the minority by saying I like it more than Ethel/think itā€™s more ready for a revival. Then again, Iā€™m (indirectly) named after an [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] in my family tree, so Iā€™ve always seen it as an inherently old-lady name. People who donā€™t personally know of an [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] may disagree.

1 Like

Hmm, I donā€™t love them, but I would be intrigued to meet one of either!

[name_f]Ethel[/name_f] ā†’ I can imagine it coming back. [name_f]Esther[/name_f] is on the rise again, it gives the nickname [name_f]Effie[/name_f], has the ā€˜Elleā€™ sound thatā€™s popular, itā€™s got clunky-old-lady vibes.

[name_f]Darlene[/name_f] ā†’ not sure if I can quite see it coming back into style just yet, but itā€™s got that ā€˜word-adjacentā€™ vibe that works with the likes of [name_f]Honey[/name_f], [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] etc.

1 Like

I have such a crush on Ethel!!! It peaked in the 1890s and so Iā€™ve been wondering when it will make a comebackā€¦. [name_f]My[/name_f] guess is it may be a popular ā€œnew old lady nameā€ in a decade or two. [name_f]Darlene[/name_f] is sweet and the nickname potential really sells me on it! I honestly like both names, Iā€™m just not sure if theyā€™ll be ā€œin styleā€ anytime soon. Not that popularity ever stopped a [name_f]Berry[/name_f] from adding something to their list!!! :gift_heart::ballet_shoes::nesting_dolls:

1 Like

I think both names could be adorable on a little girl.

Lately I have been liking [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] as an unexpected nickname for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], but I think it stands well on its own and I could definitely see it coming back, like [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] or [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] have.

[name_f]Darlene[/name_f] has a sweet sound. It would be unexpected on a baby today, but I think it still works.

1 Like

[name_f]Ethel[/name_f] - YES!

[name_f]Darlene[/name_f] - ā€¦eh?

1 Like

I tutored a little girl named [name_f]Darlene[/name_f]. It was adorable on her.

[name_f]Ethel[/name_f]- I have really been liking this one lately. It feels no more old lady than [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], and that seems really popular nowadays. I honestly think that itā€™s a pretty name that should be revived, and the nickname [name_f]Ettie[/name_f] is so cute!

[name_f]Darlene[/name_f]- hmm. Itā€™s a pretty name, but it sounds too close to ā€œdarlingā€ for me to like it. Plus it doesnā€™t feel vintage like [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] does.

[name_f]Ethel[/name_f] - I should like it in theory, but I just donā€™t. Sounds a bit chemically to me (ethyl-). I do however think of the two this one is far more likely to have a revival, and was surprised it didnā€™t get more popularity after [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_m]Allen[/name_m] used it.

[name_f]Darlene[/name_f] - not a fan, I find this harsh. Weā€™re already seeing a return of mid century names of a similar ilk, but Iā€™m not sure this will ever come back in a big way.

1 Like