Etymology of the name Shannon?

Yes, we are pretty set on the name [name]Cosette[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name], but we are still musing over [name]Shannon[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] (my husband’s choice) and [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Cosette[/name]. The problem: I am very set on giving my daughter a name that has a good meaning, and am having trouble finding an accurate meaning for [name]Shannon[/name].

Some sites have it listed as meaning “old” and “river” or “old river”, others as “wise”, and still others as “little old wise one”. Does anyone know the most accurate meaning for [name]Shannon[/name]? Any help would be appreciated!

[name]Hi[/name]! From what I read at Behind the Name, [name]Shannon[/name] meas old, wise, and river, all in one: Meaning, origin and history of the name Shannon - Behind the Name

I hope you’re doing well! :slight_smile:

http://appellationmountain.net/2009/11/16/name-of-the-day-shannon/

Thanks for the site links! It looks like “old” “wise” and “river” are all possible meanings for the name. I was hoping that there was one that was more accurate, but I think I’ll have to accept it’s not going to be that easy! :slight_smile:

I love the meanings of [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Cosette[/name], and both these names have family connections in one way or another. [name]Shannon[/name] feels like the odd man out to me, so I was hoping to find that it had a good meaning that I could get behind for my husband’s sake!

Thanks for the help!

No problem! :slight_smile: