Euan?

Liking this name a lot lately. It’s pronounced “You-in.”

I think most know it as [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] like McGregor, but I prefer the [name_m]Euan[/name_m] spelling.

Problem is I’m not Scottish — would it seem pretentious and hipster for me to use it lol?

Thanks! :sparkling_heart:

I like [name_m]Euan[/name_m]! I think it’s totally usable. I don’t think it matters if you’re Scottish or not, for example [name_u]Bodhi[/name_u] is used frequently here in the states and it’s Sanskrit

1 Like

Euan is so handsome and I think it is fine for you to use.

1 Like

I think it’s fine to use, as long as there is no specific cultural significance tied to them that you don’t resonate with (i.e [name_u]Bodhi[/name_u], [name_m]Cohen[/name_m])

1 Like

I have never been able to figure out what a hipster actually is and have come to believe they are as mythical as unicorns, but far less appealing.

I don’t see how using a Celtic name would be seen as pretentious.

1 Like

Not pretentious at all! I have a cousin named [name_m]Euan[/name_m] (YOO-un, but that’s probably more of an accent difference than a pronunciation difference). It’s a simple, solid and timeless name, and I don’t think it seems strongly Scottish.

1 Like

I used to know a [name_m]Euan[/name_m]! He wasn’t Scottish and it doesn’t really strike me as an overly Scottish name so I think you’d be fine. I also don’t think it’s pretentious at all – to me it has a very grounded, earthy feel.

1 Like

Euan is lovely! I’ve known several and not all of them have been Scottish

1 Like

I think [name_m]Euan[/name_m] is a good name. Because of [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] McGregor, it’s familiar without being overly common. I certainly don’t think you have to be Scottish to use it.

1 Like

Hi there.

I love it. Well, I love [name_m]Ewan[/name_m], but the ‘u’ doesn’t completely ruin it for me. [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] is at the very top of my list. I’m not Scottish. Dh & I are very American, but at least we have an Irish surname. But I really don’t think it matters either way. Gaelic names are becoming much more mainstream in places other than their country of origin. It doesn’t seem pretentious. It just seems like you have amazing taste in names. :heart_eyes:

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ewan/Euan was my favorite for baby 3, but eventually lost out because I had the same concerns. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though my husband is of Scottish ancestry, but we didn’t use Scottish names for our other sons.

And, the final nail was agonizing over the W or the U.

But its a great name!

1 Like

To me it feels like a Scottish name but not a outlandish Scottish name ? It’s familiar and therefore totally usable. The same way [name_m]Fraser[/name_m] is.

2 Likes