European names!

I need help finding european names. Is there anyway I can access lists? Like for different years etc. I don’t want popular names in Europe just want to look at some kind of lists so I can find the most unique/uncommon names. Any help/ideas appreciated!

Europe is a whole continent with dozens of countries and cultures, so it’s kind ignorant to assume there would be a list as names are different since the languages are different.

2 Likes

Since Europe is incredibly diverse I would suggest researching your heritage if you don’t already know it, and then look for name sites from just those countries. It might be best to find some in the language, so if you’re looking for Russian names for example, you’d search “русские имена” or something like that. Behind the Name might be a good place as well, and I’d try looking at the user-submitted names there.

Maybe search lists of names from countries such as:

• Albania
  • [name_f]Andorra[/name_f]
  • Armenia
  • [name_f]Austria[/name_f]
  • Azerbaijan
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • [name_u]Cyprus[/name_u]
  • Czechia
  • [name_m]Denmark[/name_m]
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • [name_f]France[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
  • [name_u]Germany[/name_u]
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • [name_u]Ireland[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Italy[/name_f]
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kosovo
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • [name_f]Malta[/name_f]
  • Moldova
  • [name_u]Monaco[/name_u]
  • Montenegro
  • Netherlands
  • [name_u]North[/name_u] Macedonia
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • [name_f]Russia[/name_f]
  • San [name_m]Marino[/name_m]
  • Serbia
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • [name_u]Sweden[/name_u]
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • United [name_m]Kingdom[/name_m]
  • Vatican City

What I mean is, Europe is a whole continent. It’s probably better to search for languages specifically :slight_smile:

That’s what I planned on doing. Searching in parts etc. But I’m wondering where I’d find these lists?

Nameberry has some good lists and blog posts! You can search what you want in the search bar, and you’d get some helpful matches :slight_smile:

Not all countries publish those kind of lists

Try to Google translate the term most popular baby names or top 100 baby names in a relevant language for the country and then Google that.