Evadne or Evanthe?

As you can see, [name_f]Evadne[/name_f] is already in my signature, but I recently came across the name [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f]! I love it. It’s a little too close to [name_f]Evadne[/name_f], though and I feel like I have to choose between them. What do you berries think?

(NO plans to have another child right now, just adjusting my list.)

My initial response was all for [name_f]Evadne[/name_f], as I’m more familiar with it. However, after looking up [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f], I think I like it more.

It is a tricky choice!

I think I prefer [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f]. If you’re struggling though, you could always use [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] or [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f]. Or you could change [name_f]Evadne[/name_f] to [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] :slight_smile:

I prefer the [name_f]Evadne[/name_f] spelling. I know a girl named that and she goes by [name_f]Eva[/name_f] always. Its a lovely name. :slight_smile:

I like the sound of [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f] better. Very pretty.

[name_f]Evanthe[/name_f] is very high on my list and was my second favourite girls’ name for a while. I’m a bit on/off about it now, but I still love it. So definitely [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f] over [name_f]Evadne[/name_f] for me. Probably because of the meaning, I always imagine the bright colours of spring and summer, and a little girl running around in green fields flowers in her hair; you know the usual :p. I do like [name_f]Evadne[/name_f] too (but I prefer [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] as an -adne name) but [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f] makes me happy :).

That’s a difficult one. I’m going to say [name_f]Evadne[/name_f], just because I think that it is more likely to be pronounced correctly - the [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f] I know gets ev-ANTH quite a lot. Being the Classics nerd that I am, I also love the loyalty of the wife of Capaneus (slightly grisly, in that she threw herself on his funeral pyre to be with him, but a nice thought anyway!) However, both names are gorgeous so you can’t really go wrong.

I like both, but I like [name_f]Evadne[/name_f] a bit more. It’s softer to my ears.

I’m pretty fond of [name_f]Evadne[/name_f], so that wins for me. Plus, as others have said, it’s much more likely than [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f] to be pronounced correctly.

I love both, but if I had to choose I prefer [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f] (but I may be biased as love -the names like [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] and [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f])

Yep, one or the other.

Either is more lovely than 99% of the names commonly used in my opinion.

[name_f]Evadne[/name_f] though is by far my favorite. What a fun word to say as well.

[name_f]Evanthe[/name_f] is a bit more wispy and frail-sounding.

I would compare them to [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] ([name_f]Evadne[/name_f]) and [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] ([name_f]Evanthe[/name_f]). I like the stronger sounding names, but again, two winners.

I prefer the look of [name_f]Evadne[/name_f] and the sound of [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f], so I’m kinda split! But you’ll be saying the name probably a lot more than you’ll be writing it, so I guess if I had to chose, I would go with [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f]. Probably only because it’s closer to my favorite, [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

I love both, though do prefer [name_f]Evadne[/name_f]. I love the -adne ([name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]) & -anthe ([name_f]Xanthe[/name_f], [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] + [name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f], [name_f]Antheia[/name_f], [name_f]Calanthe[/name_f]) name elements myself. My suggestion is to just keep both on your list and see how your opinion changes (or stays the same) on them as time goes by.