Eve vs Eva! Vote for your favorite!

We’re trying to decide between Eve and Eva for our baby girl, due in a few months. We prefer names that are short, feminine but not frilly, easy to spell, and easy to pronounce.

We love both names equally but differently! Eva is gorgeous, although we don’t love the multiple pronunciations and it feels a tad more trendy than Eve due to the prevalence of Ava. Palindrome names are inherently cool, so Eve gets extra bonus points, but it does seem more open to puns and teasing than Eva. I think I slightly prefer Eve and my DH slightly prefers Eva, but we both love both names and we just can’t choose!

• Eve
  • Eva

0 voters

2 Likes

as a name on its own, definitely eve - but my daughters name is evangeline and she goes by eva (mainly because my husband prefers it)

I think both are equally gorgeous, but Eve’s pronunciation is much more straightforward and it feels a little fresher to me. I only know one [name_f]Eve[/name_f], but quite a few Evas and Avas. I’m also not really sure where there would be teasing potential for [name_f]Eve[/name_f]?

1 Like

While I personally prefer [name_f]Eva[/name_f] (it’s a longtime favorite of mine), based on your descriptions I think I like [name_f]Eve[/name_f] better for you!

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] all the way. The original and best, and my favourite name :heart:

1 Like

What a tough choice!! I think I slightly prefer [name_f]Eve[/name_f], for it’s sleekness and distinctiveness

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] gets my vote. But a middle name can solidify or sway my vote otherwise

I like both and while I usually prefer [name_f]Eve[/name_f], I’ve also been liking the effortlessness of [name_f]Eva[/name_f] lately (and I find her to have just a bit more of a personality in general). Fwiw, I think [name_f]Eva[/name_f] with nickname [name_f]Eve[/name_f] could totally work though, especially if you both prefer one over the other it seems like the perfect solution!

1 Like

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] gets my vote!

Thanks for the opinions everyone, this is super helpful!! We’ve definitely considered [name_f]Eva[/name_f] nn [name_f]Eve[/name_f] or [name_f]Eve[/name_f] with an A middle name nn [name_f]Eva[/name_f]! We’re doing honor middle names, so it would probably be [name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] or [name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f].

They’re both so lovely, this is a tough choice!

Looking at your criteria…

• Short: They definitely both meet this one!
  • Feminine but not frilly: I think they both meet this too. I’ve never heard either used in a gender neutral or masculine context, so I’d say they’re definitely feminine. And neither strikes me as frilly at all, although I guess if I had to choose maybe [name_f]Eva[/name_f] is slightly frillier.
  • [name_m]Easy[/name_m] to spell: Both definitely have an obvious spelling if you hear them said aloud (assuming you’re saying [name_f]Eva[/name_f] EE-vuh).
  • [name_m]Easy[/name_m] to pronounce: This is probably the criteria where I think [name_f]Eve[/name_f] gets a clear edge; I can’t imagine any other pronunciation besides EEV in an English-speaking context, whereas I’ve heard [name_f]Eva[/name_f] pronounced EE-vuh, AY-vuh, and EH-vuh.

Now considering your pros/cons for each of them:

[name_f]Eva[/name_f]:

• Gorgeous–agreed!
  • Multiple pronunciations–this does put me off it a bit, if I’m honest. I love EE-vuh but I’m not too keen on the other pronunciations and having a name that requires a lot of pronunciation corrections myself, the potential ambiguity tends to bother me a bit. Definitely an easy correction to make though if you don’t mind it!
  • A tad more trendy because of Ava–Eva (#93) is definitely more popular than [name_f]Eve[/name_f] (#471) in the US at least, if that’s a concern for you. I don’t think of it as trendy, though!

[name_f]Eve[/name_f]

• Palindrome name–definitely agree this is cool! It wouldn’t be the deciding factor for me I don’t think, but it’s definitely a cool bonus.
  • More open to puns/teasing than Eva–honestly neither of them strikes me as particularly tease-prone! Kids can come up with a pun for anything if they want to badly enough :sweat_smile: But I wouldn’t be especially worried about either of these names. The only thing I can think of is evil and I think it applies equally to both of them but is unlikely to actually be an issue for either.

Overall, I think I prefer [name_f]Eve[/name_f] for you. It meets all of your main criteria perfectly, and you seem a little bit more excited about it. And I think it’s a really beautiful name! [name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is an absolutely gorgeous combo, too :yellow_heart: That being said, you really can’t go wrong here–both are truly lovely choices.

3 Likes

Omg what a great write-up @dandy_orchid ! I’ll have to get my husband to read it. The multiple pronunciations with [name_f]Eva[/name_f] is our major sticking point for sure. If there was only one common pronunciation we’d probably just use [name_f]Eva[/name_f], but I just feel like that would be so annoying to deal with! [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is definitely more concerned with teasing potential and [name_f]Eve[/name_f] than I am, but I think he’s coming around.

Definitely [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. Especially since the [name_f]Ava[/name_f] trend is so popular

I personally ADORE [name_f]Eva[/name_f], but only with the Eh-vah pronunciation. It’s strong, feminine, & international

The EE-vah pronunciation is okay, but that’s when I prefer [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. She’s still a strong option, but it’s more straightforward here! Plus I love the [name_f]Eve[/name_f] Plumb association.

And I feel like the ay-va pronunciation is unnecessary when there’s already the [name_f]Ava[/name_f] spelling :sweat_smile:

Overall I think it depends on how you guys want to pronounce it, but [name_f]Eve[/name_f] seems to be a top contender!

Best of [name_m]Luck[/name_m]!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] both but [name_f]Eve[/name_f] gets my vote.

[name_u]Wally[/name_u]? [name_f]Eva[/name_f]!

Haha @hellobanjo ! Except the robot from Wall-E is actually named [name_f]Eve[/name_f]!

1 Like