Evelyn on a boy?

I came across this BA from Australia. [name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] for a boy.

http://community.australia.oodle.com/detail/seager/2820031443-melbourne-vic/

What do you think?

I think it’s so wrong putting the name [name]Evelyn[/name] on a boy!! :frowning:

I could not do that to my son, I prefer very strong masculine names and this just does not do it for me. I can handle, sometimes even like, boys names on girls, but I cannot do girls names on boys.

I’m fine with unisex names on boys, because most started as boys names anyway, but [name]Evelyn[/name] is no longer used on boys. Sorry, not a fan.

No way, [name]Evelyn[/name] is way too pretty and feminine sounding!!

Maybe it was a family name? He can go by [name]Alex[/name].
If someone was a huge [name]Evelyn[/name] Waugh fan…[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] would have been better.

No… Not just because I’m not a fan of unisex names… It’s just because, well, just NO!

Very much a girl’s name to me, so a big NO

I know most people see [name]Evelyn[/name] as completely a girls’ name, but this is exactly why I can’t commit to [name]Evelyn[/name] on a girl. I know it has masculine roots, and this is the second time I’ve heard [name]Evelyn[/name] in use, and not for an older grandpa. Then again, I pretty much rule out all semi-unisex names for a girl (can’t manage to let go [name]Eden[/name], [name]Piper[/name], [name]Willow[/name], and [name]Jocelyn[/name], but I can’t even imagine them being used by a boy).

I’m kind of happy to see [name]Evelyn[/name] on a boy, actually, but it’s going to be a REALLY hard name for that little baby to live with. :*(

Depending on where you live…I think it could be a tough name to grow up with.

I’m not crazy about it. I know that it wasn’t always an all-girl name, but that’s how it feels to me now.

But then again, I would love to see a lot of those names come back for boys (I would love to see [name]Meredith[/name] go back to the boys!), and it has to start somewhere…

Personally I love the name [name]Evelyn[/name], for a girl, so I couldn’t ever use it on a boy. Though I know it has masculine roots, and like the pp I would love for boys to reclaim some names (I love [name]Ashley[/name] on a boy…) so maybe it’s not so bad

alexa400 - we know a 12 yo male [name]Ashley[/name]. And there is a male teenaged [name]Ashley[/name] on the tv show Castle. Maybe there is hope!

[name]Hi[/name] [name]CKA[/name], wow, a boy in Australia named [name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]. One of my favourite male authors is [name]Evelyn[/name] Waugh so it doesn’t shock me. I guess some Australians are trailblazers when it comes to reclaiming their boys names back from the females. I mean it has to start somewhere or there won’t be any male names left. :slight_smile:

I wish they had tested the name on nameberry so we could have talked the parents out of it, how could they stick such an obvious girls name on a boy, that’s just wrong.

I think TV and media in general can obviously have a powerful influence on names - this obviously happens in the case of girl’s names, for example [name]Madison[/name] (from Splash), [name]Ariel[/name] ([name]Little[/name] Mermaid) etc. I think in the case of [name]Ashley[/name] on males there is of course also the very strong association to [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Wilkes[/name] in Gone with the Wind. So it will be interesting to see if there is any kind of upswing to a male [name]Ashley[/name] on a mainstream tv show.

Also, interesting that his girlfriend is named [name]Alexis[/name]. Two unisex names together :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Mischa[/name]. I think one reason people have the perception that the boys pool is shrinking is because of the unwilligness to consider a name for a boy once it has become popular for girls too. Few people care if their little girl named [name]Ryan[/name] goes to school with boys named [name]Ryan[/name], but if one girl is even named [name]Sawyer[/name] and a mom or Dad read of it somewhere on the internet it suddenly becomes a no go for them as a boys name.

I don’t see it so much as a battle, but I think there needs to be a cultural shift or the name pool will continue to shrink. I don’t see a boy being named [name]Evelyn[/name], or [name]Meredith[/name] or [name]Ashley[/name] for example as a bad thing and at least they are traditional male names although most people will not know that and parents need to be honest about that too.

[name]Hi[/name] Chels! [name]Long[/name] time no see.

My first thought is that I love it!, but that he might have some troubles with his name later on. I doubt many people even know that [name]Evelyn[/name] was once used on boys. In any case, [name]Evelyn[/name] to me is very heavy and cryptic on a girl, and I don’t like it, so I might be just a little biased here. At the same time, I don’t care for [name]Meredith[/name] on boys, but others do. He’s already named, so I say to each his own.

Also, I find [name]Alexander[/name] very fitting as a middle name to a boy [name]Evelyn[/name], and I think the combo is rather handsome/dashing.

Nooooo!! That’s my #1 girl’s name! :frowning:

I’m very much NOT a fan of now-trendy unisex names like [name]Taylor[/name] or [name]Cameron[/name]–even the nicknames of very good and obviously male or female names, i.e. “[name]Pat[/name]”. The only reason I say this is because of professionalism in the workplace. I absolutely HATE getting a business card, or applying for a job to a manager named “[name]Chris[/name]” without knowing how to address the cover letter… [name]How[/name] often do you think your son is going to be called “Ms.” erroneously in work emails and other correspondence? [name]How[/name] much will you like the idea of your son being called a girl? [name]How[/name] much is HE going to like it? [name]How[/name] long is he going to tolerate it?

And if you think, “hey, we’re just going to call him ‘[name]Alex[/name]’ anyway”… THEN [name]DON[/name]'T CALL HIM [name]EVELYN[/name]. You’re just asking for trouble from [name]Day[/name] 1.

Sorry to be blunt, but think of your son five, ten, 16, 21, 30 years down the road…think of embarrassment he’s going to suffer when his teachers, classmates, coworkers and future bosses will think the wrong thing. Think of what HE would like when he’s old enough to comprehend the fact that you gave him an old lady’s name because feminine boys’ names just so happened to be trendy at the time of his birth. I don’t relish having a conversation like that with my adult son… No, thank you. :confused:

Now, making “[name]Evelyn[/name]” the middle name is way cooler, funner and a lot more mysterious. I get that the name may be a family name, and that’s cool, but I’d avoid confusing the gender. I met a guy once whose middle name was “[name]Ashley[/name]”, and he was quite pleased with that. I asked him why he liked it ("'cause it was different") and if he would’ve liked it better as a first name (to which he replied with a shake of his head and said he liked it better as a middle.)

JLH

I like the name [name]Evelyn[/name] for a boy in theory. I think it would be hard to saddle a child with that name, but I would be impressed if I met a young male [name]Evelyn[/name] rockin’ the name!