Ever have a name come to you in a dream?

… and did you use it? During my last pregnancy I had a dream where I told someone I was naming my daughter Alora. I even spelled it out in my dream, so I knew for sure how to spell it when I woke up. Which was good, because as far as I can recall, I’d never hear of that name before the dream! It’s not listed on nameberry, but it’s ranked #1401. When I mentioned the dream to several people they all took it as a sign that I HAD to use it. Ultimately I went with the name I’d already been wanting to use for years. Now I’m pregnant with #3 and just remembered the dream I had. Then I started thinking, “Maybe the dream was right. It just was about a different daughter.”

Anyone else have a name come to them in a dream?

I had the name Linley come to me in a dream, complete with spelling. This is not a name I would ever consider, though I don’t hate it. I can’t remember if I was even pregnant at the time (I’ve been pregnant a lot in the last 4 yrs!). When I was pregnant with my last daughter, I had the name Avonleigh (or Avonlea) come to me in a brief flash, and I thought I completely made it up. It was in the running for a while. And then when we came up with the name [name]Clio[/name], I was up all night thinking about it, half in a dream state, I think. And during that night I decided I preferred the [name]Clio[/name] spelling over [name]Cleo[/name]. And that’s what our baby girl is named!

I had an [name]Olivia[/name] come to me in a dream for my last pregnancy, but somehow I knew she wasn’t my baby. (and my little one now is nothing like her)

About a week before I found out I was pregnant, I had a dream where we had a little boy. It was not very exciting as dreams go, but me and DH were picking him up from daycare and his name was [name]Noah[/name]. He was adorable with tons of little brown curls. It suited him well. Since [name]Noah[/name] is so popular (#1 in [name]Hawaii[/name] where we live right now), it’s not a name I could see using, but it is a name I have always liked.

When I was pregnant with DD, I dreamt that she was a boy named [name]Christian[/name]. We didn’t use it for her (obviously!) but we will also not use it for soon-to-be-DS because it is too close to DH’s name, [name]Christopher[/name] nn [name]Chris[/name].

I have no clue why my brain came up with that name because it was not something we ever considered!

When I was pregnant with my first son, I dreamt about calling him [name]Zabe[/name]. I half woke up to tell my husband and he thought I said “Zerb”. He told me the next day he had to go into the closet because he was laughing so much that he didn’t want to wake me up. We did not name our son [name]Zabe[/name] or Zerb in the end.

Ihad a dream we named our daughter [name]Alistair[/name] but called her alice (spelled [name]Alis[/name]) for short. I really fell in love with the idea but couldn’t get any support from dh or friends. So i let the dream die and we have a little [name]Virginia[/name] instead

I had a dream where I named my daughter [name]Lucia[/name], because nothing else brightened my life like her. She was a beauty with dark curls :slight_smile: We would just sit out in the grass on a blanket and she was sleeping beside me and I was watching her and the forest nearby and looking at the birds feeling bliss in my heart, it was magical!

[name]Lucia[/name] is still a name I really want to use, and maybe I can get away with saying she’s named after my great grandmother [name]Lydia[/name] and great great grandmother [name]Lovisa[/name]? I love [name]Lovisa[/name], but she’s a little hard in the international world, so [name]Lucia[/name] would be a better choice. [name]Lydia[/name] is a bit dull to me, but [name]Lucia[/name] is wonderful fresh :slight_smile:

Dearest, you should use [name]Lucia[/name]! What a beautiful dream.

[name]Clover[/name], I’ve never heard Alora, but I really like it! I’d put it on my list, but it would rhyme with our last name. I like how Alora sounds like a princess, but also like a smart and thoughtful girl. [name]Will[/name] you use it? I think you should.

I once had a dream where I had twins named [name]Astoria[/name] and [name]Cannon[/name] – both Oregon beach towns. I really like the idea, but I doubt I would ever use it. Also, still ttc, so not sure what will happen yet . …

pdxlibrarian - You know, I wouldn’t be surprised if we do use Alora! At least for a middle name. I’d never heard it before I dreamt about it, which is why I found it so odd. I was very much attached to the girl’s name I’d already chosen, but now that it’s been used, Alora has grown in appeal. We find out gender this week, so we’ll see. I reminded my husband of the dream last night and his ears perked right up. He was set on a first name but he immediately pushed it to the middle and put Alora as the first. Maybe the dream was a sign!

And dearest, I agree with pdxlibrarian. The dream mixed with ties to a family name makes [name]Lucia[/name] sound perfect.

Before I knew I was pregnant with my first daughter I had a dream that I went with a girl I had a class with to the movies and then had an ultrasound. The tech told me her name.Throughout my pregnancy, every few weeks I had dreams that I was traveling with her on buses or trains. I would ask her, “Are you sure you’re my daughter?” She would turn around and say, “Yes, I’m your daughter, [name]Sage[/name]! [name]Don[/name]'t you remember me??” We’d travel a little further and I’d say, “Are you sure we didn’t name you [some other name]?” She would end up exasperated: “I’m your daughter! [name]Sage[/name]!” There was no way I could have named her anything else!

When [name]Sage[/name] was about 6 months old, I ran into the girl from my class/dream, who I had never even spoken to. I debated whether or not I should tell her about my dream but for some reason I did. It turned out that she worked at a photo shop and had developed the pictures of me in labor and after [name]Sage[/name] was born!

1 Like

When I was expecting my daughter, the night before I knew she was a girl I had a dream, I dream the name [name]SOFIA[/name] written in fire over a starry night, it was very vivid, so I felt it was a sign and when later that day we found that we were expecting a girl we decided to name her [name]Sofia[/name], her full name is [name]Sofia[/name] [name]Marian[/name]. She and we love it, and she loves the story about her name. It’s funny because I don’t like very popular names and [name]Sofia[/name] is number 1 here in Mexico, but I felt it had to be hers, and it is.

I had a dream that I really wanted to name my daughter Correa (which is the surname of a few families living in my area) but somehow my grandfather named her [name]Amen[/name] (?!). It was a pretty messed up dream.

I had another dream where we named our son [name]Isaac[/name], but I didn’t like the name (in the dream or in real life), so I had to go to airport security to get the security woman to submit a slip saying that we were changing our son’s name to [name]George[/name] (which I love). That was a messed up dream too!

[name]Baby[/name] naming dreams are stressful!

I have TONS of baby and baby name dreams…probably because I adore all things even tangentially related to pregnancy! I have to share an old hilarious name dream and a new wonderful one.

Last summer while my boyfriend and I were on vacation, I dreamed we had B/G twins. BF decided to name the boy, and I named the girl. I took one look at my sweet angel girl and said, “She’s definitely [name]Lucy[/name]. [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Anna[/name].” No one in the room gave any sign of positive reception. Then, BF holds up our baby boy and announces, “Everyone, welcome Cabin [name]Midnight[/name]!” And, of course, the entire room burst into applause. Really? [name]Lucy[/name] and Cabin? What a weird dream! Thankfully, when I told BF about it, he said, “Boy, I’m glad I hate the word Cabin! You’d kill me if I ever suggested it!” He’s quite right.

In contrast, last night I had the most wonderful name-affirming dream. There’s a boy’s name I’ve loved for years, and he’s always been at the top of my list–it’s the only boy’s name I can actually visualize on my future son. Anyways, in this dream, I had just given birth to a boy, and I was standing at a desk filling out his birth certificate. I remember thinking, “Where is my BF?? He should be here for this!” I dictated to the receptionist what I wanted the baby’s name to be. She then said, “OK, [name]Eric[/name] has an official name!” I screamed at her, “WHAT?! [name]ERIC[/name] IS NOT THE NAME I TOLD YOU TO PUT ON THAT PAPER!” (I forgive my dream self for freaking out. I mean, I did just give birth and there I was, standing!) Then, my BF came and ordered another birth certificate, and we named him the EXACT name that I’ve always loved.

It’s a definite sign from my baby-obsessed sleep-brain that I need to use that name! Now, I just need to fast-forward a few years so I can have a baby! Woohoo!

I just had a baby girl and when I was pregnant with her I did not know the gender, but had a dream that I had a girl and named her [name]Fern[/name].

I do not particularly adore the name [name]Fern[/name], but I dont hate it either. Despite my dream, I didnt use the name.

I named her [name]Willa[/name].

I’ve never been pregnant, but this is how MY name was chosen.

My parents didn’t know if they were having a boy or a girl so a few weeks before I was due, they had 3 names picked out for each gender: [name]Patrick[/name], [name]Colin[/name], or [name]Connor[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], or [name]Caitlin[/name]. About a month before I was ACTUALLY born (I was 2 weeks overdue) my dad had a dream that they had a little girl with lots of dark-brown hair and named her [name]Kaitlin[/name] with a K. And when I was born, I was a girl (obviously) with a head full of dark brown hair, so that was my name!

Since I was 5 years old, I’d always dreamed (not literally) of having a son named [name]Isaac[/name]. I was super excited when I met my husband and his Confirmation name was [name]Isaac[/name] - of course he’d be on board with it if he chose that name for himself! We discussed babies very early on in the relationship and he agreed that [name]Isaac[/name] would be our first son’s name.

A couple years later, a week away from our 20 week ultrasound, we were having dinner with his family and the topic turned to Confirmation names. Nobody could remember my husband’s and when he reminded them it was [name]Isaac[/name], the entire family guffawed “[name]ISAAC[/name]?!!??! Bwahahaha! Why on earth would you choose THAT name?!?” On and on went the ridicule until I blurted out “If this is a boy, you better get used to it. :evil:” That shut 'em up.

At the ultrasound, we learned we were, in fact, having a boy! I was so excited; turning to my husband with tears of joy glistening in my eyes, I said “Finally… our little [name]Isaac[/name]!” AND HE [name]SAID[/name] “Yeaaaah, about that… um, I kind of hate that name.”

I was crushed! Devistated! [name]How[/name] would I go back to the drawing board when I’d only ever drawn one name on it when I was 5 years old? I told my husband (who denied his family’s outburst had anything to do with his change of heart (suuure it didn’t :roll: )) that I’d look through a few books, but if I didn’t find anything that I loved, this kid was gonna be [name]Isaac[/name] and that’s that. I did not intend to actually love another name, and at first, I didn’t… until I heard “[name]Gideon[/name]” by My [name]Morning[/name] Jacket playing on my iPod, just as I was on the Gi page of the baby name book. I blurted it out, “[name]Gideon[/name]!”. My husband said "[name]GIDEON[/name]!! :idea: " I said “No good nicknames. Next!”

A week later, I had a dream. My baby boy and I were together in a tranquil room with breeze-blown curtains and warm rays of sunshine. He told me (non-verbally, I suppose) that he was my baby, [name]Gideon[/name], and it would all be alright. Everything was so perfect and I knew that name would be perfect, too. I woke up and my husband was up already, in the other room. I called him in and told him the baby told me his name is [name]Gideon[/name]. He teared up a little and I knew he was very happy. I was a little sad to let go of [name]Isaac[/name] but have never regretted Gid’s name and can’t imagine him with a different one.

Since I was 5 years old, I’d always dreamed (not literally) of having a son named [name]Isaac[/name]. I was super excited when I met my husband and his Confirmation name was [name]Isaac[/name] - of course he’d be on board with it if he chose that name for himself! We discussed babies very early on in the relationship and he agreed that [name]Isaac[/name] would be our first son’s name.

A couple years later, a week away from our 20 week ultrasound, we were having dinner with his family and the topic turned to Confirmation names. Nobody could remember my husband’s and when he reminded them it was [name]Isaac[/name], the entire family guffawed “[name]ISAAC[/name]?!!??! Bwahahaha! Why on earth would you choose THAT name?!?” On and on went the ridicule until I blurted out “If this is a boy, you better get used to it. :evil:” That shut 'em up.

At the ultrasound, we learned we were, in fact, having a boy! I was so excited; turning to my husband with tears of joy glistening in my eyes, I said “Finally… our little [name]Isaac[/name]!” AND HE [name]SAID[/name] “Yeaaaah, about that… um, I kind of hate that name.”

I was crushed! Devistated! [name]How[/name] would I go back to the drawing board when I’d only ever drawn one name on it when I was 5 years old? I told my husband (who denied his family’s outburst had anything to do with his change of heart (suuure it didn’t :roll: )) that I’d look through a few books, but if I didn’t find anything that I loved, this kid was gonna be [name]Isaac[/name] and that’s that. I did not intend to actually love another name, and at first, I didn’t… until I heard “[name]Gideon[/name]” by My [name]Morning[/name] Jacket playing on my iPod, just as I was on the Gi page of the baby name book. I blurted it out, “[name]Gideon[/name]!”. My husband said "[name]GIDEON[/name]!! :idea: " I said “No good nicknames. Next!”

A week later, I had a dream. My baby boy and I were together in a tranquil room with breeze-blown curtains and warm rays of sunshine. He told me (non-verbally, I suppose) that he was my baby, [name]Gideon[/name], and it would all be alright. Everything was so perfect and I knew that name would be perfect, too. I woke up and my husband was up already, in the other room. I called him in and told him the baby told me his name is [name]Gideon[/name]. He teared up a little and I knew he was very happy. I was a little sad to let go of [name]Isaac[/name] but have never regretted Gid’s name and can’t imagine him with a different one.

I had a dream before I was pregnant that I had a little girl named [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f]. Now I am pregnant and I know we’re having a girl, so we have started talking about names, but my partner hates it and I mentioned it to my sister and my best friend and they don’t like it either. I guess I should just let it go, but I feel worried about giving her the wrong name.

[name_f]Ama[/name_f] is a cute name!