Evodia/Evodie/Euodia — underrated?

What are your thoughts on Evodia/Evodie/Euodia? I feel like they deserve so much more love!

[name_f]Evodie[/name_f] was listed on a Nameberry blog list a few months ago, and I immediately fell in love with it. The Nameberry listings say that [name_f]Evodie[/name_f] is the [name_u]French[/name_u] variant of [name_f]Evodia[/name_f], which is the latinized version of [name_f]Euodia[/name_f].

The meaning for all three is “A Good Journey”.
Euodia/Evodia is also the name of a beautiful species of tree.

Personally, of the three variants, I like [name_f]Evodia[/name_f] the best as a full name. The long O sound is pleasant to me, the pronunciation is pretty clear based on the spelling, and it feels like name that could carry a person through their whole life. The color of the name feels jewel toned, like amethyst or ruby, it’s soft like velvet, and if it had a smell, it would smell like fresh roses to me.

[name_f]Evodie[/name_f] feels a little more light and nicknamey, but it’s still lovely. It feels airy and springy, robin’s egg blue, petunia pink, mint, butter yellow to me, like a crisp breeze on the first real day of spring.
I hesitate to put [name_f]Evodie[/name_f] on my short list, because (at least in my dialect of English), the syllables get run together, and sounds like “Evity”, which doesn’t feel as round, substantial, and beautiful to me.

[name_f]Euodia[/name_f] is lovely, and it definitely still sounds very ancient to me. I’m not as much a fan of two strong vowel sounds in a row (“yoo-oh-dee-uh”). I see it as ivory linen and rich emerald green, like the dark shiny leaves of a magnolia tree.

As far as nickname potential, feel like if I named a daughter [name_f]Evodie[/name_f], I would just call her that, but if I named a daughter [name_f]Evodia[/name_f], I would give her a nickname like [name_f]Evie[/name_f] prn ehh-vee. I don’t intuit much nickname potential from [name_f]Euodia[/name_f] :woman_shrugging:t3:

I feel like all three are great, and deserve more love. What are your thoughts? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think any of the three would be usable on a child today?

1 Like

I really like the sounds of [name_f]Evodia[/name_f]!

1 Like

Extremely

1 Like

[name_f]Evodia[/name_f] is gorgeous!! :hibiscus: I’ve never heard it before.

I love Evodie!! I included it in my series of names I rarely see on NB because it feels like a great update to [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] and [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]. I also love the nn [name_f]Evy[/name_f] (eh-vee, not ee-vee), so I’d use [name_f]Evy[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Evodie[/name_f].

1 Like

I’ve never heard of these names before, but I adore them! They’re quite rare but with a familiar feel to them, which I love. There’s also some nickname potential- [name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Dia[/name_f], and [name_f]Didi[/name_f] would all work as NNs. :smiling_face:

1 Like

I’d never heard these names before.

[name_f]Evodia[/name_f] - while unusual, the syllable pattern lends a familiarity, as it fits with names like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. I’m not a fan however as it sounds like a laxative medication.

[name_f]Evodie[/name_f] - I feel this one’s more wearable. It’s not my style personally as I don’t like names like [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelie[/name_f] etc, but this similarity will be exactly why it appeals to others. [name_u]An[/name_u] interesting choice.

[name_f]Euodia[/name_f] - this is fabulously over the top, but not too wearable. Would make a great and distinguished middle.

These are cool! I’m loving whimsical [name_f]Euodia[/name_f]. That’s my favorite sound of the three—plus, how fabulous to have all of the vowels in one name? :wink:

1 Like

I’m sorry but they remind me of void/avoid. [name_f]Euodia[/name_f] sounds like a complex literary term.

I much prefer [name_f]Eudora[/name_f] and [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] and [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Evodie[/name_f] is my favorite of the three, I would have problems pronouncing [name_f]Euodia[/name_f] correctly :sweat_smile:

1 Like