Expert Dog People? Expert Name People?

Maybe you berries won’t know the answer this one, but here is my dilemma. They say you shouldn’t name your dog anything that sounds like “No!” because you don’t want to confuse your dog, and you don’t want your dog to form anything but positive feelings about her name. I assume that [name]Noah[/name] would be out as a dog name. I’ve had a dog named [name]Josie[/name] and called [name]Jo[/name], but maybe it’s not the best idea.

I love the idea of calling a puppy [name]Nora[/name] – but feel guilty. I keep trying to convince myself that because you slur into that ‘r’ so quickly, it is different sound from 'No!" But is it? Or am I just rationalizing?

Maybe it doesn’t really matter. I suspect I’m going to call my puppy [name]Nora[/name], whether one should or not.

You can absolutely still name your puppy [name]Nora[/name]! If you want to avoid confusion, just use a different word for “no” when training your dog such as “stop”, “quit” or anything you want really. Your dog doesn’t know english and won’t know the difference. Then “[name]Nora[/name]” will be her name and “stop” will mean “don’t do that!”
Good luck!

I love [name]Nora[/name] for your puppy! I don’t think it will be a problem because you’re right, [name]Nora[/name] and no don’t really have the same sound. I see where you’re coming from though because I like the name [name]Nova[/name], but read in a thread that it sounded too much like no. [name]Nora[/name] is fine though, go for it!

Thanks! That is a great suggestion! Then it becomes a matter of training myself to say “Leave it!” or whatever! And as I really love [name]Nora[/name] as a puppy name, it seems worth the effort!

I hope my last post didn’t cut the thread short. I’d love to hear what anyone has to say about this. Dog trainers? Name freaks?