Experts: help us!

Hi!

We just found out we are having a daughter. But shockingly… we are having a hard time deciding on a name!

Our two main priorities is that it works well in Spanish and [name_f]English[/name_f] and that we use the middle name of [name_u]Louise[/name_u]. [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is the name of my deceased mother and baby is due on her birthday, so it’s important that we honor her in same way! :grinning:

Our main choice is [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]. We both love the name and my MIL is named [name_u]Nelly[/name_u], which is a way to honor both of our moms. However, my name is [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] and I only go by [name_f]Aly[/name_f].

I feel like [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is a natural nickname for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. Is [name_f]Aly[/name_f] and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] way too close? [name_m]Can[/name_m] we still use [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] but establish early on we won’t be using [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] at all?

I like [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband can’t stand [name_f]Ivy[/name_f].

My husband likes [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] with the nickname [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is my middle name and the name of my grandma that passed away a few weeks after we found out. I really like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] but it doesn’t feel THE one to me.

Any other names that match our style and criteria?

Sorry for writing the next great American novel, ha!

TIA!

1 Like

Eleanor [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is lovely. I think you could definitely use [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] without a nickname.

Other ideas:
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Maia[/name_f]/Maya
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]/Luisa
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
or another flower name to honor your grandmother

Congratulations and welcome!

I certainly think you could use [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. [name_f]Nora[/name_f] would be an equally natural nickname that works really well in both [name_f]English[/name_f] and Spanish. I also think [name_f]Nora[/name_f] has the same vibe as [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f].

A few more Spanish/English crossover ideas…

[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sofia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariana[/name_f]
[name_f]Selena[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosa[/name_f]

ETA: Penelope is a great shout @cactusgram! That would also give you your link to Nelly :heart:

4 Likes

What about [name_u]Nori[/name_u] for a nickname? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I don’t think [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] could work for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. Ok an [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and have never heard anyone call her that. You could try [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] or nora tho

I don’t think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] will be a problem, she can always be called; [name_f]Elle[/name_f]/Ella/Nora. Or not have a nickname. You can always do [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] if you’d like.

Ellie is a natural nn for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], but she doesn’t have to be called that. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] can easily be used in full 100% of the time. However, if you do like [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] and want to use it, I think it is distinct enough from [name_f]Aly[/name_f] for use. In fact, I think the closeness is even kind of cute. :slight_smile:

I agree, though, with what others have said. There’s also [name_f]Nora[/name_f] or [name_u]Nori[/name_u], which would be sweet and work well in Spanish, too.

Other suggestions:
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonor[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]/Elena/Lena

Hi there.

Eleanor [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is gorgeous! It’s so smart & classic, but also sounds fun & adventurous. I do agree that having an [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] & an [name_f]Aly[/name_f] in the same house could be confusing. But I think that you could call your daughter [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] & not [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. It’s not guaranteed that she won’t grow up & want to be an [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] herself. But it probably won’t be a huge deal either way. I wouldn’t let that stop you if [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is your favorite. [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is really pretty, but if [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] isn’t the one for you then it’s not the one. Plus, I kind of like the idea of using [name_u]Louise[/name_u] in its full form more to honor your mom.

Here are a few more ideas that you may like:

Annabelle [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Cora [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Clara [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Delia [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Estella [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Francesca [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Georgina [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Georgiana [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Juliet [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Josephine [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Lilian [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Liliana [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Marina [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Mariana [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Nora [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Penelope [name_u]Louise[/name_u]-also honors grandma [name_u]Nelly[/name_u]. But you could use the nns [name_u]Penny[/name_u], [name_f]Polly[/name_f] or [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] if you wanted.

Rose [name_u]Louise[/name_u]!

Rosalia [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Rosalie [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Sylvia [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Stella [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Vivian [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Violet [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Eleanor [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is lovely! [name_f]Lenora[/name_f] also came to mind, because that would eliminate the [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] nn. [name_f]Lenora[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] sounds beautiful.

Eleanor [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is very pretty! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite nickname for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] or [name_f]Nell[/name_f] or [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], but I also love [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. How about [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] as a first name to honor [name_u]Louise[/name_u], nickname [name_f]Lola[/name_f]?

1 Like

Eleanor could be Elle, Ellie, Lenny, Lenora, Leora, Nora, or Nell. I’m sure I’m missing some NNs too.

@Akrr90

There’s no way to know ahead of time which NNs she’ll demand to go by or refuse to be called.

Given the plethora of NN options, I wouldn’t aorry about whether Aly and Ellie are too close. If it’s the name, it’s the name. She may very well never ever ever go by Ellie anyway.

I friend of mine growing up was named [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. She went between her parents homes in the US ([name_f]English[/name_f]) and Chile (Spanish) with no problems concerning her name. I think [name_f]Nora[/name_f] would be a great nickname for the name [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f].

2 Likes

I like a lot of the suggestions, but I think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is delightful, and I think it’s wonderful the way that you’re honouring your mums. I absolutely don’t think [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is requisite for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. I have a close friend named [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] who doesn’t go by a nickname at all, but you could also use [name_f]Nell[/name_f] (like your husband’s mum!), or [name_f]Nora[/name_f], which I think is absolutely adorable!

1 Like

Firstly I think [name_f]Aly[/name_f] and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is fine. But if you’re not happy with [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f] or [name_f]Lea[/name_f] are options for nn

Have you considered [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f]/Eleonora as these might more naturally give you [name_f]Nora[/name_f] as a nn

Other suggestions

Louisa/Luisa [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosanna[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Luella[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]

1 Like

Eleanor Louise is lovely and I think you could enforce using her full name or perhaps Nora! Ellie and Aly are similar but i think different enough.

Clara Louise
Rosa Louise
Eva Louise
Alba Louise
Anna Louise
Gemma Louise
Cecilia Louise
Diana Louise
Silvia Louise

You could have [name_f]Nora[/name_f] or [name_u]Nori[/name_u] from [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]? But I don’t think it’s too close. You could even use just [name_f]Elle[/name_f] which is pretty. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is a great name.

Eleanor [name_u]Louise[/name_u] and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] are both lovely names, they’re very sweet combos and I think they could work well in both la gauges. Not sure [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] would work in Spanish though.

Eleanor [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is lovely and you could easily just call her [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] but if not, I think [name_f]Nell[/name_f] and [name_f]Leni[/name_f] make gorgeous nicknames.

You could definitely avoid [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. If you want a nickname then [name_f]Nora[/name_f] would be an option, but I know at least 5 people called [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] / [name_f]Elena[/name_f] / [name_f]Elinor[/name_f] and the only one that gets called [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] asks to be called that.

How about…

Eleanora [name_u]Louise[/name_u]…nickname [name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]…nickname [name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]…nickname [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]