EXTRA name bracket, because why not? Claire vs. Olivia

You may have seen my baby name tournament posts recently. The final two names were Clara and Charlotte (still to see which one will come out on top!). BUT, with that said, the top two names for my husband and I at the moment are not these two. Our top two favourites (as of today), Claire and Olivia, were actually knocked out early on LOL. So I kind of want to do an extra bracket with these two names against each other to see which one receives more love!

Vote for your preference and drop a line to tell me why you like it best! :slight_smile:

• Claire
  • Olivia

0 voters

I like [name_f]Claire[/name_f] best -sweet, bright and charming

1 Like

I KNEW [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] was your favorite, ha! Definitely [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]! It’s my favorite as well.

1 Like

i prefer Claire, mostly because Olivia is so popular right now. both names are lovely, though!

1 Like

Lol! I do love [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. The popularity thing holds me back and sways me a little to [name_f]Claire[/name_f]. Hubby also prefers [name_f]Claire[/name_f]. We threw [name_f]Clara[/name_f] into the mix recently and that seemed like the perfect compromise of still getting that sweet vintage vibe and getting to call her [name_f]Claire[/name_f] if we wanted as a nickname. I was really crushing on her, but then I found out there are all these negative associations. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] the cow AND clown?? I don’t know if I can get around that … I might actually do a post about that specifically and see what people think or if they have even heard of these associations.

Bump! Need to break this 50/50 split haha!

I love the sweet simplicity of Claire–it’s bright, strong, versatile, and packs a lot of energy into one syllable!

2 Likes

Idk I don’t like the sound of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], for me I’ve heard it so much so it seems a bit plain now, and feels like a mouth full compared to [name_f]Claire[/name_f]

As a child I grew up near my grandparents who owned/operated a cattle ranch. Now, my in-laws have a home on a cattle ranch and I would have NEVER considered [name_f]Clara[/name_f] a name for a cow or made me think of [name_f]Clarabelle[/name_f] from Disney. I had to really pause to think where you were coming from on the cow. I’ve never heard of the clown. The only association that comes to mind with [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is either [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_m]Barton[/name_m], as I graduated from nursing school, or [name_f]Clara[/name_f] from The Nutcracker ballet. Both of these associations could not be more positive. And I have a feeling that most people would associate [name_f]Clara[/name_f] with the darling girl from The Nutcracker. If you work in the medical field, the name [name_f]Clara[/name_f] brings to mind the selfless heroine.

This is a personal opinion, but I would not consider [name_f]Claire[/name_f] a nn for [name_f]Clara[/name_f] as I see them as two separate names. All of the Claires and Claras I know would kindly correct someone if they were called the other name. The most common nn I have heard for both names would be [name_f]Cece[/name_f]. However, even that I haven’t heard too often. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] does seem like the perfect compromise between [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] & [name_f]Claire[/name_f], but if you both prefer [name_f]Claire[/name_f] then I recommend just using that!

Did the [name_u]Grey[/name_u] you are hoping to honor have a surname or middle name that might work better with either [name_f]Clara[/name_f] or [name_f]Claire[/name_f]?

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] feels SO popular right now. I know a ton of new baby’s named [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and a ton of children named [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. For that reason I voted [name_f]Claire[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is beautiful and classic, but still fresh! I also feel like it’s a very versatile name, I think it could suit a large variety of personalities.

I love [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] in theory, but in practice, it’s very popular all over right now, and, when it comes down to it, I think [name_f]Claire[/name_f] has a nicer sound. Simple and feminine, but straightforward rather than frilly.

Ultimately though, you and your husband should pick the name that you feel is right for your child, regardless of what nameberry brackets suggest you do, since we don’t know your life or your baby!

1 Like

olivia is so popular, but it somehow seems more exciting to me than claire? i’m not sure why, but claire is so extremely boring to me.

1 Like

Thank you for this! It definitely helps me put the cow thing in perspective to hear that you had such close associations with cattle ranches and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] never reminded you of a cow LOL. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and best friend think that I am way overthinking it, and they are probably right!

I get what you’re saying about the nickname thing. I don’t think we would call her [name_f]Claire[/name_f] often if we went with [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. It was mostly that my husband was hoping to call her “Claire Bear” sometimes as he thinks that’s super cute and endearing.

The [name_u]Grey[/name_u] that we’re hoping to honour doesn’t really have any other names that could work … That is the most fitting one. But coming up with two middle names that work together as I mentioned in the other thread is something we’re on to now and I think that might work!