Extracurricular activities - which ones?

As my eldest gets closer to 5 (and more activities become available), I’m just wondering:
What activities do your kids do, or are you thinking about allowing our encouraging them to do?
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any activities that you think are a MUST?
How many activities do you let them do at a time?
Any thoughts on what age they should start particular activities?

[name_f]My[/name_f] own answers (long!)

[name_f]My[/name_f] 4 yo has tried ballet and tap, but settled on jazz for the moment. She also does swimming. When she’s older I’m thinking St John’s too: an opportunity to learn first aid skills but also lots of other community minded things (I’ve thought about Scouts, but she’s always been interested in how the body works and playing doctors etc).

Swimming is on my compulsory list, I just think it’s such an important skill and I live in a country where there’s a lot of ocean and rivers. I also feel like… I’d kind of like my kids to do some form of self defence or martial arts? Hopefully they’d never need it, but it seems like a useful skill to have.

But… costs for extracurricular activities add up so fast, and doing too many would also be exhausting for the kids and stressful for the family time-wise, rushing about. :woman_shrugging: Obviously at some point she might say no to some too, but right now she wants to do EVERYTHING. I don’t feel like I could make self defence compulsory in an “even if she doesn’t want to” way. Swimming I’d really like them to be reasonably strong before stopping lessons.

2 Likes

I agree that swimming is a must.
[name_f]My[/name_f] twins are turning 5 in [name_u]July[/name_u] and we are planning to start them in music lessons of some kind. I’m thinking piano but they’ve also shown interest in guitar and violin so we will see.

1 Like

I’m not a mother yet, but I can talk about my own experience and my little brother’s!

[name_f]My[/name_f] mum’s system was to always have us doing at least one physical activity, and one “mental” activity: either one foreign language or a musical instrument, which I really appreciate now that I’m older, and I’d like to do the same when I have children!

I also live in a country with a lot of ocean, but I never attended nor needed swimming lessons, to be honest. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents taught me over the summer by taking me to the beach fairly often! You’d be surprised how well it works, although I don’t know your exact circumstances and if you’d be able to do that. Thinking about it, I don’t know anyone who actually took swimming lessons, but I also don’t know anyone who can’t swim, so I reckon if you live somewhere with easy and fast access to the water, then lessons may not be necessary!

I did do some martial arts classes as well as a kid (karate, for about three years), but, to be honest, that loses appeal quickly when you’re a little older and getting into secondary school, unless you’re really, really into it. And then you forget everything that you learned as a child. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend self-defense classes or martial arts at such a young age, unless your children express a big interest in the idea! I think there are other useful skills (like a language or instrument as I mentioned) that would be less likely to be abandoned or forgotten with age. And they’d really appreciate it when they’re older! The first aid classes that you mentioned could be a great skill to learn too, although it seems like it’d just need a few short lessons and not long-term attendance? But I’ve never attended anything like that so I wouldn’t know!

I also wouldn’t worry too much about exactly which physical activity a child is doing at this age. They’re a bit too young to really know what they like (team sports like hockey? competitive individual sports like judo? a less intense activity like basketball with kids their age or hiking or horse riding?) but as long as they’re getting exercise it’s all good!

3 Likes

I’m strongly opposed to forcing or pushing my children to do any extracurricular activity they’re not interested in.
We have 5 children, so choices will have to be made. if they all have two or more activities, we’d do nothing but drive them around, and it would be ridiculously expensive. So for now our rule is they’ll get to pick one activity each. Maybe we’ll change our minds about it as we go along, depending on what they want to do or how we can arrange things practically.

[name_f]My[/name_f] oldest is 8 and does African dance and percussion. It combines his love for music and his heritage. Because his father and I are no longer together, things are a bit different for him than for my other four children. His father he should be able to do more activities if he wants to, but we agreed it will be him who takes him to the other ones, whether he’s with us or with his father at that moment. For now, he hasn’t showed much interest in other activities, he spends most of his spare time at the library :sweat_smile:

[name_f]My[/name_f] other 4 children don’t do extracurricular activities yet. B. will be 4 in [name_u]October[/name_u], but because of his autism we’re not sure what would be suitable for him. He hates sports and prefers to be on his own, the only thing he loves are animals.
The twins and our daughter are too young. I imagine / hope E. will do something where he can expend his energy :sweat_smile:

I’d love for my children to be interested in music and play an instrument, but if they don’t want to, that’s fine as well. L. has hearing problems and will most likely go completely deaf, so music isn’t really an option for him. I just want them to do whatever they feel passionate about, but to be honest I can’t imagine myself or my husband standing next to a soccer field every weekend :joy:

Most activities where we live start around the age of 5-6 which is think is a good age to start. 4 is so young, they’re barely used to kindergarten, and if they have to do an activity outside that as well I personally feel it puts a lot of pressure on them at a very young age. [name_f]Every[/name_f] child is different though.

3 Likes

We’ve been planning a family for so long and have put a lot of thought into this for when we do have kids. I did and tried a lot of things as a child, luckily for my parents, in a small town everything was cheap back then.

Learning to swim is an absolute must, a survival skill. It saves lives. I took swimming lessons every year until I was in my late teens as did my brother who went to have summer jobs as a lifeguard etc. it can be a really expansive skill set if you stick with it. I still love swimming to this day. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] “swim” classes start here as young as 3 months and I’m very much looking forward to that as a way to break up the days.

I want my kids to take self defence or some kind of martial arts, I want them to be able to defend themselves and sports like these build confidence and respect. I really hope my kids aren’t the “team sports” types, I also cannot picture myself on the edge of a soccer field every weekend.

Fiancés family is incredibly musically talented and inclined. He can pick up just about any instrument and make it sing. I however cannot. At all. I hope the kids get that natural talent, I know it would mean a lot to his family if the kids were musical.

Our situation is a bit different as I want to send our kids to this very specific private school here, it only focuses on core academics and actually has no music/gym/art programs. The idea is that the parents take an equal lead in the education of their children and it’s on us to provide the rest of a well rounded life/education outside of academics. This school has shorter school days in order to allow for more extra activities outside of school hours to make up for this. But it’s also a huge consideration in my mind that I don’t want to over schedule kids because there’s huge benefits in independent play time and of course just down time, no 6 year old needs something to do EVERY day, I know I’d hate that as an adult and I’m old enough to have coping skills haha

I really hope my one-day kids find activities they are ultimately really passionate about and find some life long love in creative and physical pursuits.

1 Like

I’m mostly going to wait and see what my son is interested in. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents tried the whole “enroll them in something and oh well if they don’t like it” thing for awhile. It backfired spectacularly and I don’t want that for my child. He’s only 3 and not in preschool, so he doesn’t have any particular “extracurricular” going on and I’m not fully sure what is available in our area. I think soccer and t-ball. But yeah, we’d like to try our best to get him into things that fits his personality and interests (if he wants to do any of them at all). [name_m]Art[/name_m], music, scouts, etc.

For now, we take him to places like children’s museums, libraries, splash pads and parks, walking trails…just fun kid stuff where he can mostly be free to explore and have fun.

The only thing I’m toying with the idea of “insisting” on would be swim lessons. I never truly learned. [name_f]My[/name_f] younger sister almost drowned as a toddler. I really fear something happening because you can watch your kiddos like a hawk but man are they fast… we unfortunately don’t have options for young children in our town. That one will take some figuring out but I believe it’s an important skill to learn.

Other than that, as I said, we want to follow his lead. That also includes how many activities he does. Kids have so much put on them, between school and everyday life. I don’t want to lose too much of the few spare hours he’ll have to himself.

3 Likes

I am a nanny, and my little nanny girl has been involved in ballet, tap, and martial arts since age two (she’s now three and a half). I think that even at her current age, she’s so young to be so busy. She’s tried art class (which she’s still in), gymnastics, and soccer, too. They tire her so. For now, she’s consistently in only ballet, tap, and art class. She enjoys her ballet best!

I admire the “try it out” technique on the whole, but I’ve also watched firsthand as the little girl I nanny has been exhausted by her activity slate. It’s become much more manageable now, the older she gets and the fewer activities she has going on. One or two activities seems a very reasonable amount at a time for a pre-kindergarten child. Trying in ample time seems quite reasonable.

Were she my own babe, I’d have her in swim, too. :wink: A survival skill—and also such great fun and a way to use that toddler energy!

1 Like

Get ready for a long-ish answer from a teacher. [name_f]Remember[/name_f] every child is different and will gravitate towards different things so the following is generalized ideas and reasons.

TLDR; non-negotiables are swimming and martial arts / self defense. Choose a team sport for at least a season. Choose at least one creative outlet.

Lets start with the physical activities.

There are two that are absolute musts even if the child doesn’t want to do them: swimming and a martial arts / self defense. These are survival skills. Swimming is an activity that I have literally never heard anyone say is unnecessary so I won’t bother explaining the necessity. Now, martial arts / self defense. It does not matter how safe you think you are or how safe you think the place you live is. Teach your kid to defend themselves. Whenever something bad happens in a “good/safe” place, it’s always: I can’t believe that would happen, that never happens here, if it really happened why didn’t they fight back, etc. Karate and Taekwondo seem to be the most common starting discipline but if you have the option you should choose Jiu Jitsu. Jiu Jitsu focuses more on fighting to and on the ground. Kids are smaller so using that to their advantage is best. Martial arts / self defense isn’t all about physical fighting, defense and offense. It also teaches focus, how to difuse a situation before physical escalation, respect, and self discipline and reliance. Swimming and martial arts / self defense are two no argument, non-negotiables.

Now slightly off topic, if anyone tries to teach your daughter the BS of “he only hits you because he likes you,” martial arts / self defense instills in her that that is indeed BS and she should defend herself accordingly. I despise how adults defend boys hitting girls and teach girls that that is a show of affection but then question why the women didn’t leave the abusive relationship and victim blame. “I hit you because I love you.”

Moving on…

Some other good physical add-ons are gymnastics and dance (I recommend ballet as a base). Gymnastics and dance will help with coordination, how to spin a bunch without feeling lightheaded, etc. In my experience, the kid who can do any sort of flip is automatically the cool kid on the playground and if they can show others how to do it, it’s instant school friends.

Team sports: Soccer/football, lacrosse, rugby, hockey (field and ice), American Football, baseball, basketball, etc. Put your kid in one of these for at least a season. They may show no interest in team sports but once they’re in they may change their minds or dislike the idea less. If nothing else, it teaches them how to work and communicate with a team. If you are worried about a full contact sport like rugby and American football, don’t be. They can do the ones where instead of tackling, the kids remove a flag from their opponents waist.

Honorable Mentions: Archery, fencing, horseback riding.
Archery: hand-eye coordination, learning to respect a weapon, understanding why you don’t point it a certain way.
Fencing: hand-eye coordination, learning to respect a weapon, footwork, quick thinking, learning how to read and anticipate others intentions based on their subtle movements.
Horseback Riding: learning how to respect and take care of animals.

Now to the realm of the Arts activities.

Painting, pottery, etc. is good because kids need a creative outlet.
[name_f]Music[/name_f] can help with hearing and math, plus it’s a language of its own.
Sewing is just a basic life skill that is also a good outlet for creativity and teaches math skills. Same thing with cooking and baking. Life skills plus math and chemistry.
You can also get more intense when your kids are older and do things like glassblowing and metal work.

Another good extra curricular activity is language learning. Explaining this one isn’t necessary. Some others are rock climbing/ boldering, hiking, kayaking, gardening, coding, video making, trampoline/tumbling, activities at the zoo, etc.

Obviously the kid doesn’t have to do all of this at once. [name_m]Just[/name_m] pick one that is accessible time wise and budget approved. If your kid doesn’t like one thing, then go with a different thing. See what programs are available through the schools, community centers, and [name_u]Parks[/name_u] and Recreation programs before diving into the private sector.

See if a program is parent and child or has an adult and kid class at the same time (like Jiu Jitsu) that way you’re both learning something and sometimes knowing that their parent is close by helps ease the kid into doing something new.

One of the biggest factors I see that discourages a kid from an activity, is when the parent does not show an interest. Parents complaining that they have to get up early and go to games on the weekends, not showing up for recitals, not asking questions, giving compliments or showing enthusiasm for the art projects.

I have also worked with kids that need special accommodations, are autistic or on the spectrum. For these kids one may not be able to do dance because the music is too loud, not do a contact sport because touching of any kind is a no-go, not be in a classroom setting because of sensory overload and feeling crowded (horseback riding was a good thing with this one, while pottery was a hard no).

Basically do as much as you can while paying attention to your kids boundaries of “I hate this because of reasons” and “I think I hate this because it’s new and scary.”

1 Like

The only extracurricular we’re dead set on for our daughter is Chinese school - we are putting her in from 4 and wouldn’t be letting her quit until she’s at least 11. I would also like her to try a martial art, because I think it’s a good way to learn discipline along with self-defense skills, but we wouldn’t force it.

Other than that we also want to leave it open and not “push” any particular interest. We have a couple of different options around here, so we’re hoping to trial a few and see if she takes to any. We talked a lot about doing baby dance, and there’s also quite a few baby football/soccer groups in our area. But it’s really up to her, as long as we can afford it and get there. I am a bit worried she will end up as a horse girl, as that is so expensive… and I have a horse phobia and would be quaking on the sidelines. [name_u]Or[/name_u] circus skills, for the same reason. Can’t stand clowns :sweat_smile:

Kids have to learn to swim through school here, and in our area it’s from the age of 4. In our circumstances, I don’t find it essential to take a class before that age. She can also learn an instrument through school, so that makes things a little easier. Realistically she would probably only be able to do two or three different things on our budget, but maybe having to pick a limited number of activities is a good way to learn how to prioritise!

1 Like

This is probably an unhelpful perspective since this thread is all about sharing ideas, but possibly none. :see_no_evil:

[name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to skip my somewhat unrelated ramblings

I mean, if our son discovers a passion for something and wants to pursue it, we’ll budget for it but I don’t see any of them as essential. Well, I agree that swimming is an essential skill but like @tallemaja I learned that from my parents who helped me become a strong swimmer so will be doing the same with my own child! I’m also happy to teach him the basics of music theory and piano/guitar if he’s into it or share any other hobbies of mine, and again, if he wants to take it further we can get him professional lessons. But mostly we’ll take advantage of informal and free ways to explore different skills like resources online and events at museums/community centres, and the kids at the park are always playing football (soccer :soccer:) or basketball together for fun with friends, which he could join in on if he liked the idea. I don’t know, I get very concerned about the lack of free time both kids and adults have and want to prioritise time for independent play and letting his imagination run wild as long as possible (not saying that to criticise people who think extracurriculars are important and I’m sure kids have loads of fun in them too, it’s just the philosophy we have as a family and it’s cool if yours is different.)

4 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] 4-year-old daughter does ballet and swimming, and my 4-year-old son does soccer and swimming. When my next child is born, they will join a musical instrument and jazz regardless of gender when they get to the twins age.

Swimming is not optional for us. I was a competitive year-round swimmer for 13 years, and a lifeguard and swim instructor for about 8. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is not a strong swimmer–if you ask him, he doesn’t know how to swim, he just knows how to not drown. Our kids don’t have to swim competitively like I did, but they will learn how to swim well. But I also tend to consider swimming a life skill rather than an extracurricular. Swim team would be an extracurricular; swim lessons not so much. For anyone US-based concerned about the cost of swim lessons, look up your city-run pools (usually based under the [name_u]Parks[/name_u] & Rec department). Most will offer group swim lessons for fairly cheap.

Other than that, we don’t really have any requirements. I’ll encourage them to choose something physical and something mental/creative, but I’ll largely let them lead on specifics. Only real rule would be that they would have to stick with whatever they chose for at least one season/year before moving on. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom forced me to stay in [name_f]Girl[/name_f] Scouts growing up because she had loved being in [name_f]Girl[/name_f] Scouts. I hated it and I wasn’t learning or doing much of anything, but she refused to let me quit. While I definitely agree that kids should stick with an extracurricular for a little bit before deciding to quit (commitment, team work, and all that), I don’t want to force my kid to do something they hate for years and years just because it was something I enjoyed doing when I was their age.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] son (10) and oldest daughter (9) currently do skipping (jump rope) as their only extra-curricular. It’s an easy one for us as it’s at their school (before and after school 2 days a week, once on a weekend) and it’s relatively affordable. They enjoy it, they do well in it (both now take part in competitions), and it keeps them fit and healthy.

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter also does an instrument and choir at school, during school time. [name_f]My[/name_f] son was doing an instrument up until last year but he quit as he wasn’t enjoying it any more.

They both did swimming lessons privately until age 5. Now they do swimming at school (only in the warmer months), and are both strong swimmers. In summer they do swim club which is one night a week.

They also both used to do a technology extra-curricular (one afternoon a week, also at their school) but unfortunately it’s on pause as the instructor is unwell.

[name_f]My[/name_f] twins (5) both have a disability and they do 3x physical therapy sessions a week (which includes hydrotherapy, so that’s their “swimming”). I’m hoping they might get into music or something creative once they start school, to balance all the physical stuff they have to do. But I will leave it up to them and their interests.

So, we just don’t have a lot of time to be doing extra activities. We both work full time, and with commute we are out of the house from 7am-5pm. Then it’s dinner, take the dog for a walk, bed by 7pm. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband works every other weekend and I don’t drive so we’re limited to things nearby. I don’t like committing to things on weekends because that’s our family time when we’re all together. Basically we have [name_f]Monday[/name_f] afternoons as that’s my husband’s consistent day off. I don’t know how people fit things in!

So while I agree that swimming is essential, we haven’t done lessons for ours on our own. Lessons never lined up with nap times when I was on maternity leave and we could only make Saturdays otherwise, which I won’t do. The kids do swim lessons at school for two terms during the warmer months. So my 4yo will start next year and the 7yo has improved so much.

[name_f]My[/name_f] 7yo has asked to do gymnastics, so that’s what we do [name_f]Monday[/name_f] afternoons. She’s passionate about it and otherwise not sporty at all, so I think its valuable for her. The 4yo can’t currently participate during the same time slot but could get started next year if he wants.

I’d love for both of them to do an instrument or theatre or something as I think they’d both be quite good, but I haven’t found anything in the local area and I don’t know when we’d fit it in!

So far my girls have tried ballet and gymnastics. And they liked it but aren’t in love with them. [name_f]My[/name_f] oldest is almost 4 and is already showing interest in soccer so we’ll probably try that next. And she really loves to draw so if we can find some way to encourage that we will do that. I would also like for them to be proficient in a musical instrument, to me music is just so beneficial to learning.

And of course swimming lessons are a must.

I also have my eldest child going to extracurricular activities and i believe that every child must do an activity that is in his interests. I think group sports for children who like making new friends are perfect, or doing cooking or arts and crafts for those kids that are creative.

1 Like

I plan to do swimming and scouts to start with, and then once sufficiently proficient at swimming we’ll give the option to change it for another sport if an interest is shown. But I’d like them to do something active at least through primary school and hopefully beyond (I went to sports clubs until I was about 13 then stopped because homework became too much) Plus if there is anything put on by the school directly after lessons that they show an interest in it’ll be considered. I want them to do some things outside school but not be an ‘out every evening, never home’ family, get that balance.

1 Like