Ezra for a girl?

My DH and I have been talking names the last couple weeks for fun and he’s honestly never been able to “come up” with any names. It’s always been me throwing out names and then he says whether he likes it or not. EXCEPT for the name [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]. He’s mentioned this name so many times.

I want to love it, but I don’t. I’ve been trying to let it grow on me for awhile now. But I’ve been letting it grow on me for a boy. Over the weekend he mentioned liking it especially for a girl. Woah, total curve ball!

Now, I’m curious to know what the berries think of it as a girls name?

I still don’t care for it, but I think I could like it more if I found a girls name that had a similar sound. Something along the lines of [name_f]Desiree[/name_f], but different? Something where we could maybe get the nn [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] OR a nn that can stem from [name_m]Ezra[/name_m].

Would love your thoughts and suggestions!

I actually know a little girl named [name_m]Ezrah[/name_m] spelled with an H at the end, which I think makes it a lot more feminine. I’m a fan of unisex names so I really like it! Ooooh [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] could be a nickname for [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f]!

The h on the end does help! Not a fan of [name_f]Esmerelda[/name_f], but I can definitely see how that works.

I personally love [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] on a girl. [name_u]Ezri[/name_u] is a short cute nickname.

[name_m]Esra[/name_m] might be a softer sounding option.

While I do, in fact, know a little girl named [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], can’t say I’m really a fan. :confused:

No, please don’t do this! It feels like every boy name gets colonized as a girl name, and never the other way around, and it’s probably my least favorite name-related phenomenon. [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and [name_f]Astri[/name_f]/[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] have a similar sound.

I love [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] on a boy but strongly dislike it on a girl. (And no, I’m not one that hates boy names on girls. I just don’t like this one being swapped)

Getting closer! I do often prefer an “e” sound at the end of girls names, so [name_u]Ezri[/name_u] is more appealing to me than [name_m]Ezra[/name_m].

:joy: I appreciate your feedback! I like [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. Not sure if I love it though.

Thank you for your feedback!

This is my biggest pet peeve; putting boy names on girls if they end in ‘a’ or are ‘feminine’. Please don’t!

[name_m]Ezra[/name_m] is a boy’s name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] say no. There is a feminine Turkish name [name_m]Esra[/name_m], which someone mentioned. The sound is basically the same, but you ditch the masculine baggage.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Can anyone give me some name options for girls that have a similar sound and/or can get the [name_m]Ezra[/name_m]/[name_m]Esra[/name_m] nickname?

There is a girl in my class named Erza! It’s pronounced air-zah.

[name_f]Estrella[/name_f] nn esra

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] nn esra

[name_f]Essie[/name_f] [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] nn esra

Names similar to [name_m]Esra[/name_m]: [name_f]Isla[/name_f] . [name_f]Iva[/name_f] . [name_u]Isa[/name_u] . [name_u]Mika[/name_u] . [name_f]Nica[/name_f] . [name_f]Clio[/name_f] . [name_f]Calla[/name_f] . [name_f]Priya[/name_f] . [name_u]Adria[/name_u] . [name_f]Audra[/name_f]

I love [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] on a boy, but not for a girl. What about [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]? It has the sounds, and it’s such a spunky/sweet name for a little girl:) [name_f]Esme[/name_f] was also a good suggestion.

That’s an interesting name!

Thank you for these suggestions!

I do like [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]!

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Esmaria[/name_f] (Ez-[name_f]MAR[/name_f]-ia) instead? =]

[name_f]Desiree[/name_f] is a good idea, too, alibc! I’m thinking maybe you can even spell it [name_f]Dezarae[/name_f] and bam, [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] nn for your hubby to enjoy!