Fairy as a middle name?

its also a good mythical being and at least where i am that isn’t a slur

100% use it but pls don’t name her any name associated with fairies:
fairy is a young, kind and pure spirit whereas a faerie is mischievous, evil and horrid creature

Yes, it’s been used as a homophobic slur. I’d feel uncomfortable naming a child that, just as I wouldn’t use any offensive term as a name.

oh wow, i’ve never heard it (and i went to a private school) i think i associate more with the legend

But children grow up and travel.

good point but if you’re in the us sorry but i don’t think anyway would go there

I’m not sure if you mean that I’m from the US, and no-one would travel there, or that people from the US wouldn’t travel to where I’m from? The use of the term “fairy” as a slur for gay men has been documented in various parts of the world, including the United States, the United [name_m]Kingdom[/name_m], Australia, and [name_f]Canada[/name_f], among others.

3 Likes

dude im in australia, have relatives all over the world and have never heard it and have gone to MANY homophobic places

I live in the UK and have both heard it in real life and encountered it in media from various English-speaking countries ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I don’t want to bring this too far from the main discussion, but regardless of where it’s a slur, it’s still a slur. People move. Language moves. Especially with the internet and other forms of media, there’s no guarantee that someone named [name_f]Fairy[/name_f] wouldn’t ever interact with the slur in some form.

So, no, I don’t think it’s usable.

2 Likes

If you’ve never heard of “fairy” as an insult, I’d suggest asking your older relatives because it was probably more common in the 1970s/80s. Regardless, it’s been an derogatory term for gay men for a long time - check any major dictionary.

1 Like

oh wow guess different experiences…

Thanks for the comments everyone. It’s definitely just a guilty pleasure name I’ve decided, even for the middle spot.

1 Like