Fairytale Rewrites!

I’m going through a list of fairytales and deciding what to name the characters within them. For example, I have a version of [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_u]Red[/name_u] Riding Hood which is honestly a little more similar to The [name_m]Way[/name_m] Past [name_u]Winter[/name_u] than anything else… but ‘Red’ is [name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f], and the protagonist is younger sister ‘these red capes are a literal curse, mum, third time wasn’t even a charm if you count Dad’s red boots’ [name_f]Eira[/name_f] – ‘snow’. Basically the ‘retold’ factor is instead of a wolf for [name_f]Eira[/name_f] it’s a literal magic forest, so faeries. [name_u]Or[/name_u] fey. Something along those lines.
It’s pretty confusing, and explaining would basically spoil The [name_m]Way[/name_m] Past [name_u]Winter[/name_u] as well so… not gonna properly explain that.

Anyway, next comes ‘Snow-White and Rose-Red’. Not even gonna start on that, but since it’s the same town, it’s the same woods, and a similar problem. The characters there are [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosamond[/name_f] [name_u]Finn[/name_u], who just simply go by [name_u]Snow[/name_u] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] the whole time. There’s also added sister [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] or, you guessed it, [name_u]Blue[/name_u]. Who ends up with hardly-a-nickname-Bluebird by the end of the tale.

And then we have [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f]! Which… issues. I’ve got it under the working title ‘The Ashen Twins’ (boy-girl), and that’s as far as I got in terms of names. I don’t want to just straight up call the girl ‘Ella’, but I’m not sure what to call her instead. Also, the stepsisters… I mean, every important character there, really.

On the plus side, I do have a name for a character in a far more obscure tale than [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f] (at least in my eyes since I forgot I knew the darn thing until I looked up a list of princesses in fairytales and realised that a lot are just ‘Princess’) – [name_f]Lisette[/name_f], for [name_f]Elisa[/name_f] from ‘The [name_u]Wild[/name_u] Swans’ (about a princess whose eleven brothers are turned into swans or something along those lines). Don’t know if an actual retelling is necessary but there’s a name.

So. [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f] names, and other tales to twist would be great too! Not [name_u]Snow[/name_u] White, though. I’m debating what to do with that since I already have a [name_u]Snow[/name_u] and also [name_f]Eira[/name_f].

1 Like

I love your idea and i hope i can read your book someday!

Some cinderella inspired names for the b/g twins:

[name_f]Elle[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Delia[/name_f]
Fae/Faye
[name_f]Perla[/name_f]

[name_u]Ash[/name_u]
[name_u]Gus[/name_u]
[name_m]Lucifer[/name_m]
[name_f]Charm[/name_f]
[name_u]Prince[/name_u]

I’d also keep both [name_u]Snow[/name_u] and Eira!! In fact i’d “ship” them :joy:

1 Like

Well, you can see the basis for Eira’s story on my Wattpad account! [name_f]Aviatrix[/name_f] [name_u]Swan[/name_u] (it’s one of like five, which I use so I can basically ‘clear’ my searches on other accounts and keep this account for that and that account for this, so priority shifts between accounts). It’s an entry for a contest from a prompt, and it’s only like 1000~ words so far, but when I can get to editing I’ll develop it more than that entry. The rest are reliant on order (well, Snow-and-Rose is, since it depends on Eira’s story going first).
And the reason I don’t want [name_u]Snow[/name_u] White suggested is semi-clear within the Worse Than Any [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] story.
Obviously, if you’d prefer a full story, it’ll be a while, since I have like six thousand other things to do, but for a watered-down version of the retelling of LRRH, there’s where to look.