Fallon: Dated or Cool?

Wondering your thoughts on [name]Fallon[/name]. Is it too 1980’s/Dynasty or do you hear a cool/Irish surname?

Many thanks-
[name]Tara[/name]

I wasn’t around in the 1980s so I don’t know about Dynasty. I think it would be a cool name if I could get past the similiarity to “fallen”.

[name]Hi[/name]!

I never watched Dynasty (I was all about Punky [name]Brewster[/name], Family Ties, and the glory of Full House in the 80s), so I don’t have that connection. It doesn’t sound dated to me because I never heard [name]Fallon[/name] growing up, but from what I understand, it’s an 80s name.

It may just be me, but [name]Fallon[/name] reminds me of the word “phallic.” I also see “fall on.” I wish I had more love for [name]Fallon[/name] (I’m sorry, [name]Fallon[/name]!), but I really love the other names you’re considering! :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I knew a [name]Fallyn[/name] growning up… and I have also met a [name]Fallon[/name] recenetly. I think it is cute.

[name]Way[/name] to ruin it for me, [name]Jill[/name]!
[name]Just[/name] kidding! I was on the fence about [name]Fallon[/name] anyway (it would be in the middle name slot). It never occured to me but now I’m hearing “phallic” too. Our last name is [name]Wood[/name] so that would be kind of a double whammy!

Thanks for showing me the light (again!)

:slight_smile:
[name]Tara[/name]

I love [name]Fallon[/name], I didn’t watch dynasty, but I don’t consider pop culture when it comes to names, other wise we would all be nameless!

I love [name]Fallon[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]

Okay…I’m laughing so hard now! I totally forgot about [name]Wood[/name]! I wasn’t sure if I should say anything about the phallic similarity, but I would have hated for you to think of it (or for someone to mention it) after you had already named the baby!

On the bright side, I didn’t associate [name]Fallon[/name] with Dynasty! That’s something, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

Talk to you later! :slight_smile:

I love this name! Only because my sisters name is [name]Fallon[/name] [name]Ann[/name]. From personal experience with living with her and going to school with her she was never “Fall- on” or [name]Falcon[/name] or because of [name]Jimmy[/name] [name]Fallon[/name]. Her nickname from me was Fally (like [name]Ally[/name] with a F), from her mom was [name]Fifi[/name] (you can spell it many ways) I think it is a wicked cute name for a little girl! And she will be the only one in her class because I have only known 2 in my life my sister [name]Fallon[/name] and a classmate [name]Falon[/name]. With one “L” it looks weird to me and prolly could pass for [name]Falcon[/name] misspelling or something. So, go for it!

makes me think of the balloon boy. wasn’t his name fallon? also for a second i think “talon”. so for me … not such a great association.

I like it! In college, I took a mythology course with a girl by this name. She wore it incredibly well: she was hip, smart, and very artsy. She is the only person I’ve ever met with the name, but she left me with a great impression of it.

This name sounds more like “felon” to me. I otherwise think it’s kind of one of those names from the 80s. I think I am a couple years older than [name]Jill[/name], didn’t watch Dynasty, but I remember this name. It didn’t fall to the really big trends like [name]Crystal[/name]/[name]Krystle[/name], or [name]Alexis[/name], or other names of the time like [name]Madison[/name] or [name]Taylor[/name] or [name]Whitney[/name] from the popular culture (that would be respectively, from “Splash!”, from popular singers at the time, [name]Taylor[/name] [name]Dayne[/name] and [name]Whitney[/name] [name]Houston[/name]). SSA says [name]Taylor[/name] and [name]Whitney[/name] entered the charts before the massive popularity of the recording artists, [name]Taylor[/name] in 1979 and [name]Whitney[/name] in 1962 - a good decade or two before, but the sharp increase in popularity does indicate more popularity due to the culture. I haven’t checked, but I think [name]Crystal[/name] and [name]Alexis[/name] were already becoming popular and helped a lot by “Dynasty” also, not merely invented by the writers, which it seems [name]Fallon[/name] was, a real Irish name that wasn’t really a name anyone else already had, like a personal surname or creative parent; we have to guess. According to Wikipedia, her siblings are [name]Adam[/name], [name]Steven[/name], and [name]Amanda[/name], and half-sister [name]Krystina[/name]. [name]Fallon[/name] in that sibset is a mystery!

I think the name [name]Fallon[/name] would be kind of a surprise now compared to the other 80s name hits. Not very popular at the time and maybe few people could pick out the uh… “origin,” like, accuse you of copying a primetime soap character now. They might ask where you heard the name since almost no one has it lately. SSA reports it entered the list in 1981 (same year as Dynasty, most similar to [name]Madison[/name] appearing out of one unmistakable source), jumped up to the 300s within a year (also similar to [name]Madison[/name]) for a couple years and decreased in popularity rapidly, leaving the top 1000 list in 1995 (total opposite trending compared to [name]Madison[/name]). Never really had legs for some reason, so maybe that’s a good thing for having a not-unheard-of name that’s not very popular at all & Irish, a popular origin of names. There are probably reasons this name put a lot of parents off within a couple years. The association with the character (I don’t think she was a bad-guy character like [name]Alexis[/name]) was nothing - it was probably the sound of the name was awkward for aforementioned reasons. If it didn’t look or sound like some other words like it does, it seems to me it would have gotten as much play as [name]Taylor[/name] or [name]Madison[/name] or [name]Crystal[/name] or [name]Alexis[/name] or [name]Whitney[/name].

I kind of think it is dated, then, but not like those other names. It’s an example of a name that struck out instead of soared up the charts, and really cannot be disassociated with “Dynasty” due to that show being the only reason anyone really had that name at all, even for a short span of top 1000 popularity.

i know a 6 yr old named fallon. when her mom picked it i hated it, but the more ive heard it the more i like it and her fallon is an adorable girl.