Family last names as first names?

My husband loves one of his family names Baxman for a boy. [name]Bax[/name] would be the name we called him for short. I love max and I love [name]Baxter[/name], so its not that far off.

I’m not a fan of surnames as first names, but they’re fine if they’re family names. However, Baxman immediately makes me think of Batman, so I wouldn’t use it.

I love using last name- especailly family last names as first names! Its a fun, unique way of using a namr that means something to you- and you can honor a group of people instead of just one specific person if say, you named your son [name]John[/name], after your dad… instead of [name]Hudson[/name], etc for your maiden name.

Go for it!!! Its unique without being to out there, and f people ever give you a look- you can explain why you choose it. Better than having to explain why your sons name is [name]Bronx[/name] [name]Mowgli[/name] :slight_smile:

ps- the actual name Baxman also fits with alot of trends, that of [name]Max[/name] and the “x” ending names ([name]Maddox[/name], [name]Pax[/name], [name]Knox[/name], [name]Bronx[/name]…) without being TOO trendy or unoriginal.

I think Baxman is cute. It’s a bit close to Batman, and I personally prefer [name]Baxter[/name]. But you’re right in that those two are pretty close. Go for it!

I like the idea of using personal/family last names as given names, but I still think they need to sound right as well

I’m not sure Baxman quite works - all I can see is Batman

I think a name (like [name]Baxter[/name]) that honors the last name would be a better option

I love the idea though

I don’t think it sounds like Batman. With -man ending last names, I reduce the a to a schwa. With -man superheroes, the a remains an a.

It fits with the styles that are popular now, but it is distinct and I don’t expect it to become at all common.