Favorite Words?

[name]Hi[/name], berries! I have a seemingly-off-subject request that nevertheless I think you all, as lovers of sound and syllable, will enjoy. I was wondering what your favorite words are? [name]Do[/name] you like words for their flow or rhythm, or their meaning, or some other reason? [name]Do[/name] your word-fetishes relate to your name-fetishes? :slight_smile:
Thanks! Iā€™m curious to know because a college application asks for my favorite word. I have several ā€“ mellifluous, noon, marsupial, apple ā€“ but I want to know yours!

I can think of these words off the top of my head.
Lullaby - Childhood memories of a more innocent time in life
Loo - English word for toilet which just makes me smile every time I hear it
Melodious - A quality that alot of todayā€™s music lack
Pomegranate - aka happy fruit

I would say superfluous. I donā€™t know what it is, but I love that word. I think it might be the ā€˜uouā€™ part. I try to work it into my every day conversations as much as I can.

[name]Jubilee[/name]/Jubilation - I love the quirky sound and meaning of both. I just canā€™t not be happy when I say them! Plus the long u sound helps, I just canā€™t not love long vowel sounds. That being my favorite.

[name]Ocean[/name] - Probably has more to do with meaning, I grew up on the coast, than anything. The word just seems so peaceful and calming. Much prefer it to sea.

Maple - Itā€™s just so spunky and cute. Reminds me of fall, and I love fall!

Cranberry, Raspberry, Blueberry, etc. - I donā€™t know why but I love them all, even have a fish named [name]Strawberry[/name].

Estuary - body of water. I donā€™t even like large bodies of water, and yet I love this word. It just sounds so pretty when itā€™s said.

[name]Alexis[/name]

This is my momā€™s favorite word!

Mine is whimsical. I donā€™t know why-itā€™s just a yummy word!
I also like clandestine and incandescent.

My favorites are surreptitious (since I was a little girl, I donā€™t know why but Iā€™ve always declared it as my favorite) and sanguine.

In addition to superfluous, I also love sycophantic, serendipitous, and supercilious. I think Iā€™m seeing a trend. I just like large adjectives beginning with S. (:

My favorite word would have to be serendipity. It means ā€˜something not looked forā€™ and I think it has a beautiful sound to it.

Wow! I donā€™t have a favourite word but I love all of the suggestions so far! The last post reminded me of a book series I read as a kid- [name]Serendipity[/name]! I believe sheā€™s a pink dragon. Anyways the book I had was ā€œ[name]Leo[/name] the Lopā€.

If I had to pick, I guess Supercalifragilisticexpialodocious. Great song, great word. :slight_smile:

[name]Mischa[/name], pomegranateā€™s one of my favorites too! I love how itā€™s spelled. Here are some more of mine:

ruminate
cake
melancholy
prandicle
snollygoster
voluminous
mischievous
befuddle
chartreuse
spatula
stellar
cellar

Oh, Irisrose, I love voluminous too ( I think itā€™s the long ā€œuā€ sound and the way if flows off the tongue). Melancholy is a lovely word as well but itā€™s a shame about the meaning.

I also love the word melancholy. So pretty. Other favorites:

whisper
serendipity
dream
surly
flutterby (another name for butterfly)
faraway
heaven
hallelujah
melodious
boondoggle
serene

Itā€™s not the meaning of the words but just the way they sound that makes me love them.

lark
ecstasy
sullen
wanderlust (I hope I spelled that right)
lilac
mourning
epiphany
renaissance
lyric
angelic
clairvoyant