Feature Request: Open Ended Polls

Would it be possible to get the option of open ended polls, like on Facebook and messenger, where users can submit extra options, and people vote on those. I wouldn’t want this to be the default, but it would be great as an option.

[name_m]Say[/name_m] for example I ask, “Which flows better with [name_f]Helen[/name_f]?” Currently my poll can say something like

• [name_f]Mary[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Thelma[/name_f]
  • another option (share your thoughts below)

It would be great if people could add extra options and vote on them too, so that the actual poll includes these options.

3 Likes

I like this idea!

3 Likes

Yes, they can. But that’s not the same as the Facebook feature I’m talking about.

Say you’re looking for help with a combo. You make an open ended poll. Someone comes up with a great idea. Everyone can vote on that idea too. Right now, we end up saying things like “I agree with @caramel107, that’s a great name” or “I love it too!”, which is just kind of messy.

2 Likes

I mean, there could be abuse. But there are already methods in place to stop users from abusing Nameberry. Pretty easy to ban or prevent a pest. And only some polls would use this option, when people were keen for the extra input.

@tp_b

Interesting suggestion! This is not currently supported by Discourse, and polls cannot be edited to add or change options more than 5 mins after creation.

However, you could get around this by using a third-party poll creator and then embed your poll into a post. As long as it works with Onebox (which is what makes some links, eg to YouTube or Giphy) display as a nice embedded feature.

Apparently this one works well with Discourse :point_down:t2:

3 Likes

Thanks @katinka for looking into this! That’s a fun idea, and I already use typeform for work, so I’m very familiar with it.

2 Likes